It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent and Legal: The Shocking Ways School Kids are Being Pinned Down, Isolated Against Their Will

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Exactly or alternatively, overriding those costly mandates and supplanting them with legalese that actually protects students as any governmental oversight in any field should have base protections from abuse. Children have very few rights in this country and particularly within some school programs. When it allows kids to be exposed to what could be construed as abuse, then that creates an untenable situation of institutionalized maltreatment.

Very true, and apologies for the delay. Way too much going on to be here often these days. The really disturbing thing is that the system seems geared to training children to expect to be treated in such a fashion, if they stray from a specific path. No freedom at all, in that. Thinking back to the Bicentennial, and how strongly freedom was taught then, how things are now makes me half sick.

As far as the indoctrination goes, I'm not a fan of it either but it still occurs in just about every country. There is something to be said of putting one's own country in its best light to the youth in terms of national stability. However, when indoctrination goes to an extent where it promotes a false glamour or belief, it can have very serious consequences. Occupy would be a brilliant example of indoctrination over reality being taught within our schools.

This is very true. It'd be nice it TRUTH was taught. If a nation is really secure in its position, then the truth will reflect the good. If lies must be told,then said nation isn't what it ought to be.

Scores of youth went down to protest under the belief that their actions were protected by the First Amendment. In the schools, the Civil Rights Movement was discussed and any abuse that those protesters had experienced in the 60's was, if it was as I was taught, painted in a way as being the actions of a few bad people in those states. That was the classic example of protest and JFK's role in condemning any violence that had occurred was also taught. What they didn't teach were what occurred in the Free Speech Movement, the Poor People's Campaign, or pick any G event. It was "you have the right to protest" pure and simple with an implication of condemnation of past violence.

What disturbed me about the occupy mess was how badly the people themselves acted. For every case of police bad behavior, I must have seen a couple dozen of protestor bad behavior. Cases of assault on one another, rapes, robberies, etc., and KIDS went to these protests? The protests weren't even legal in many cases, either, as they impeded traffic, invaded businesses, etc. I am all for peaceful protest, but I didn't see much of that on the occupy mess.

photos.oregonlive.com...

Here's a picture of a 15 year old boy, who under the blessing of his father went down to join in the protests. His father wanted to support his son's activism, seeing it as being a good thing to have within a citizen. Neither expected that the boy would be struck across the head with a baton. What I see in this boy's eyes are shock and I saw and heard expressions of horrified shock over and over again as I watched this movement. Pained and terrified cries of "why are you doing this?" Those kids honestly believed that they had the legal right to protest unmolested. When I talked to my mother about what I was seeing, she talked to me about the things that she had seen in the 60's and 70's as a college student. The violence was nothing new, not really. They just failed to teach reality in lieu of some fancy notion that a country's populace had the right to peaceably assemble to protest their grievances. Well, the wording in that is "Congress shall pass no law". It doesn't say anything about batons, tear gas, rubber bullets and more or that existing municipal laws could be used to arrest and this just isn't even remotely taught. Just images of MLK Jr. and the success of the Civil Rights Movement.

Having the boy that unprepared for what could happen was irresponsible, for certain. When I was in school, when learning about the Civil Rights movement, we heard stories of things that happened, that should not have. The successes were gained at great cost. Do they not teach that any longer?

I'm teaching my kids that they do have the right to protest but that right is merely a protection against having a law being made to prohibit it. That if they chose to protest, then they should expect batons, rubber bullets, tear gas, and arrest and it better be worth it. Then again, I always have been one to prefer reality, even when brutal, over lies. In this case, the schools have been willfully teaching lies in the form of indoctrination. "Land of the Free" and all that.

These days, kids need to be taught the reality. Authorities can and will get out of line. Any group of people, including police, can and will have those that take advantage, and abuse their position. Human nature guarantees that.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I have a flight child and I have a fight child. They both have IEPs that teachers don't take the time to follow. And one of my biggest issues as a parent has been brought up from a teachers perspective above.

Even if I make certain every single adult that interacts with my children are aware of my children's IEP's I have no control over substitutes.

I take the time to read IEP books and go to seminars and trully feel like the schools don't like me. I'll give you a great example. The school tried to suspend my child for hitting a teacher in the face. I knew the right questions to ask. Apparently the person attempting to restrain my child wasn't certified to restrain my child. AND My state requires a two person restraint if it is deemed needed at all.

Policies and proceedures were not followed, not my child's fault an adult that should know better got hurt. Result. Mass of teachers needed certifications.

Another thing I have not read above is the awareness of inclusion. That's a right you know, segregation proved separate but equal can not be equal. Inclusion for some requires a one on one. That's an adult for and individual child. One of my children has a one on one. This took YEARS to achieve due to the expense.

Some of the comments I read above infuriated me due to the callousness of ignorance. I as a parent have shed many tears trying to be part of the education team for my children.

I would like to explain something the general parent may not understand. Schools have rules and policies that clearly say are meant for everyone. They lie and you have no reason to know it a lie because you are an uninformed parent. In order of severity, IEPS, 504s and, Behavioral Plans all supersed the schools regular rules. This is due to laws such as IDEA, or Wrights Law.

So as a parent that repeatly says, "I don't have a child named everyone." And "I'm not concerned with what's fair to everyone else." I feel the need to point out that you don't understand the issues at hand.

There will always be funding issue. Teachers are NOT trained for special needs children. You should be aware that teachers have to constantly get continuing education credits, this would be the perfect way to resolve this issue if only the right classes were offered.

<< 1  2   >>

join