It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rehashing old threads, whats the deal people!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
I completely agree, if there is no dragon to chase people will focus on achieving a more pure product for the site and its members.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I think that there are some damned good reasons for the way the site works, and removing stars certainly will not improve matters. In fact, it could make things a damn site worse than they are!

we are all here for the pure purpose to share information, gathering flags and stars and karma doesnt matter, it is pointless, it taints the system and you get what is happening now
A member at this point in time would do a thread on burnt fluffy toast with jesus on it from 2010 if it had 150 flags with a spin
edit on 19-6-2014 by PLAYERONE01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

I meant absolutely no offence, and it was not my intention to be condescending. I my post made you feel that way, then I can only apologise for that, and seek to be more careful in future interaction with you, to ensure that my posts cannot be misinterpreted.

All I am saying, is that there are threads which deal with old topics in new ways, and those are fine, but if you see a blatant copy, report it to the moderators. The more people report, the more threads get moved, or discontinued necessary. If no reports are made however, no action will be taken. That is how it is around here, and pretty much always has been.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So, you state that negative stars and flags are not needed because people can just comment on a topic and that provides more hands on information for the topic creator to improve?

Yeah.

The same can be said of positive comments as well.

So basically you're agreeing that star and flag thing is unnecessary since in detail actual feedback would be a much better alternative.

Or it's just negative comments that get special treatment?

Again, feedback goes both ways in a fair system.

Someone could just as easily star and flag a comment now and never actually participate in the topic. Same thing is it not?

edit on 19-6-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
its cool True im not offended
I absolutely share the same views as you, and i hope this thread is more of a work shop so members can manage threads when using older ones for resource material so they dont come off as second grade.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

What I am saying, is that going into masses of detail about the parts of a post you enjoyed the most would be pointless, gushing, and pathetic, and clearly if someone is already doing a good job, then an OVER abundance of positive reinforcement is not going to do any good. So a star does the job very nicely, without the need for excessive ego fluffing.

However, where a post attracts criticism, it IS necessary to use detailed reasoning to explain where the holes in a post might lay, detail level which is not required in order to congratulate, but is in fact required in order to criticise in a helpful and constructive way. Merely adding a negative star does not have the same ability to educate as an in depth appraisal of a persons low quality of contribution. A negative star cannot point out a logical fallacy, nor can it correct a misunderstanding of a technical term. Only full critique and the ability to respond to that critique can achieve that.

So what I am saying is, that a positive star does what it needs to do, because it prevents people being tempted to spend eight posts per page saying "hear hear, jolly good show, eh what?", in order to congratulate good work, and negative stars would not do what they need to do, because constructive criticism requires a detailed response.
edit on 19-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammar edit

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: PLAYERONE01

This has already been covered in another post: just kidding.

There is a revolutionary tool that can help with this problem, it's called a 'search bar'. Before many people post they will search and will offer a disclaimer stating that they have conducted said search and no results appeared.

And don't forget that there are thousands of members that have access to the same sources that try to post the same info at the same time, so there is bound to be replicate threads.

And in all honesty most of us didn't sign up for the stars and flags, they are awarded to people who have a genuine opinion/evidence. If someone wants approval and recognition, they should join facebook and let the likes roll in.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I don't see a problem. This is a discussion board. People are talking, sometimes about old topics. So what?

There is some great, old content here. I'd love to see some of the old threads revived.

Chill. Out.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

I'll have to agree. So people rehash and old topic. Unless they literally stole all the content from a prior user, who cares. Tops WILL be rehashed. I love to see new spins on old info

and as an aside...the stars and flags should go

It isn't about quality, it;s about blindly agreeing and popularity

me? I have often crappy posts but I really could care less if I get starred. I am just going to keep posting my inane drivel because I like to see myself talk and once in a while a nugget of info comes out

I really think stars and flas are not appropriate

but that's opinion and all

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: OrphanApology
I wish the star and flag thing didn't exist.

I don't like the star system. It's broken anyways so it should be ignored. The flag system I understand. It tells ATSers what threads are really interesting. I'd like to see stars and karma and all that disappear though.

Says the person that has millions of stars. Broken system or not; you deserve those stars for your well thought out and composed posts. Many times I don't agree with you but you invariably show another alternative. I appreciate that!!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
We constantly have an influx of new membership.

We encourage new membership, to compose quality threads on topics that interest them with links/videos/whatnot and their unique perspective.

Repeat discussion of topics is necessary for newer members to grow as quality posters.

Just saying...

CdT

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I always aim for something new - fresh - mind blowing - outside of the box.
So I know you aren't talking about me, haha. But yeah I do look down on the behavior mentioned by the OP.

I am willing to write the Truth despite the fact most ppl dislike me for it and refuse to star/flag it. The fact no one has posed a valid debate against my topics in the last year? A whole year with only a few personal attacks here or there?

If it were a video game, I pwnt em. I don't need flags to know that.
It's the absence of a real argument that proved it.

A whole year is plenty of time to allow for someone to come up with something, you would think!
Anyways, I'm comin back with a Vengeance and tons of new content!
Keep yer eyes peeled!

edit on 6/19/2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join