It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just some thing I found.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
TTIP is a hugely influential trade deal between the US and the EU. the deal which lets businesses sue governments that introduce new laws that could damage their profits. [2] This is already happening in other countries. Right now the Australian government is being sued by a tobacco company after introducing laws banning branding on cigarette packets.

any one know more about this?
I Can Not post a link.
ATS will just delete it.

its more of the big businesses taking over your life.
I and I thought it was the government that was taking over!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Make no mistake buddha, big business is all over this one and simply to feather it's own nest. I really cant see the democracy in businesses being able to sue government, if it goes ahead it'll be the largest sell out by politicians in history. And most likely, nothing will happen about it.

TTIP via Wikipedia

The above link take you to the wikipedia page. From there follow a few of the other embedded links.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

The difference between "big business" and "government" is that;

Big business relies on commerce and people actually choosing their product or not. Big business cannot force you to purchase a product.

With government, you don't have a choice. Government can mandate that you either purchase, or are banned from purchasing any given product.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Fair point beezer, but what happens when the people actually decide that's not good enough any more and the country passes a law that's a direct impost or outright ban perhaps on a product. The corporation then sues the sovereign state for losses incurred, how exactly does that work out as far as democracy is concerned.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Not in the case of a monopoly...

It doesn't matter how many company's there are selling products if they are all owned by the same individuals.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Fair point beezer, but what happens when the people actually decide that's not good enough any more and the country passes a law that's a direct impost or outright ban perhaps on a product. The corporation then sues the sovereign state for losses incurred, how exactly does that work out as far as democracy is concerned.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

If a government passes a law banning a product, then it is a) representing the people and it won't be an issue, b) not representing the people and there will be an uproar over the governments actions.

The business works on the assumption that it is option b, and wants to provide a service or goods that the people actually want.

Caveat Emptor, would be the best way to describe democracy in action given any business product or service.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: andr3w68

Not in the case of a monopoly...

It doesn't matter how many company's there are selling products if they are all owned by the same individuals.

Point taken. But that is where innovation comes in.

What if you could supply a better product/service?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

If only that were the case.

The following is an extract of legal argument currently being fought, names have been changed to protect those who really require no protection;

Corporation A Asia is arguing that Australia's tobacco plain packaging measure constitutes an expropriation of its Australian investments in breach of Article 6 of the Hong Kong Agreement. Corporation A Asia further argues that Australia's tobacco plain packaging measure is in breach of its commitment under Article 2(2) of the Hong Kong Agreement to accord fair and equitable treatment to Corporation A Asia's investments. Corporation A Asia further asserts that tobacco plain packaging constitutes an unreasonable and discriminatory measure and that Corporation A Asia's investments have been deprived of full protection and security in breach of Article 2(2) of the Hong Kong Agreement. Australia rejects these claims.

From This Source

It really represents a NWO, IMO. A NWO where democracy is an illusion.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Make no mistake about it. the australian government AGREED to this 'trade deal.' Why are they compalining? or this just for public consumption to keep the truth from the people.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Make no mistake about it. the australian government AGREED to this 'trade deal.' Why are they compalining? or this just for public consumption to keep the truth from the people.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Indeed they did agree.

I would refer you to my original post and specifically, "largest sell out by politicians in history". While the Australian deal may not meet that mark, it certainly sets a standard of modus operandi for corporations and what may yet become the norm.

We will see the largest sell and we will lose our recourse to law. Seems to me it's just around the corner and I'm not hearing no bleeting.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
We need to get rid of this present system. It has become all corrupt all over the free world. Soon the businesses will control everything, all government enforcement and all government services. The taxpayer won't be able to challenge the businesses, because the government could get sued by the businesses and taxpayers will foot the bill.

It is groups of individuals that control everything, not the government. The government is a puppet for these groups.
some from these groups have infiltrated the government and formed laws to protect the income of those in the groups. They are very powerful, laws are on their side.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
LOL!!!
You said...

Soon the businesses will control everything

When a corporation can murder living breathing human beings or destroy the environment we live in and not really be held accountable, I would suggest that "soon" has past.
We allow money into politics and give a company the rights of a human...
Until we start executing corporations for crimes against humanity, I will not believe corporations are people too.
Hell, not even then.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

Some of these corporations have acquired the rights of many million citizens....They control the country.

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I agree that TTIP is a real threat to democracy, it needs to be scrapped or we've had it.

Just take a look at this - The Egyptian government is being sued for millions under the TTIP agreement by a French company, for raising the minimum wage . ..
www.dorsetecho.co.uk...

This dangerous trade deal being negotiated between the EU and US and will be a loss of democratic control by stealth.

If passed, TTIP would allow corporations to sue governments for changes they feel might harm their profits. This appalling rule is embedded in many existing agreements and companies are already using it.

For example, Egypt is being sued for nearly £50 million for raising the minimum wage. Egypt raised the minimum wage in response to a demand of the Arab uprisings. Now that victory for the people is being undermined by multinational company Veolia, which is suing the government for the cost of raising workers’ salaries.

If TTIP goes ahead, cases like this could become widespread as more and more countries are pressured into accepting similar deals. TTIP is a global threat to democracy.

top topics

join