It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Securing the Texas/Mexico border begins

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Today, Governor Perry did something to bring Texans some relief.

Gov. Perry, Lt. Gov. Dewhurst and Speaker Straus Direct DPS to Immediately Begin Law Enforcement Surge Operations Along Texas-Mexico Border

Gov. Rick Perry, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and Speaker Joe Straus today directed the Texas Dept. of Public Safety (DPS) to immediately begin law enforcement surge operations on the Texas-Mexico border to combat the flood of illegal immigration into the state in the absence of adequate federal resources to secure the border. State leaders have authorized DPS to fund border security operations at approximately $1.3 million per week.

In addition to a relief from illegal immigration, a secured border (could) mean a reduction in drugs, violence, and human trafficking.

As a Texan, I'm happy to hear that our "Gardasil Governor" did something good for a change.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: stutteringp0et

That's excellent news, glad to see he's doing this. Maybe he should mobilize the National Guard while he's at it. I believe that's within his power as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There is always a bug in the back of my paranoid mind that this surge of children will result in a uprising eventually in the near future. They are not all Mexicans after all.

I wonder if their families are being threatened and the children, not knowing any better are sent out to do others bidding because of fear for their families.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hopefully it's not too little too late. I believe the situation is probably either at the tipping point or just passed it on whether it's a pointless action at this time. Either way... I am betting you aren't the only relieved Texan.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Im with the Kanga roo here.....the horse has left the barn on this one...but good luck with that......

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I can't disagree. It's been wide open for so long that damage has already been done. What I can't say is that this won't make a difference.

With kids being basically shipped in, our systems are already being taxed. The best we can hope for is to stem the tide so we can deal with the problems we already have without expecting them to just get worse.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
You could put the entire US military on the border and people will still cross. People get across the most heavly armed border in the world between the Koreas. It may make people feel better but, it is no solution. Of couse that is the very nature of such political moves. People feel good because they think somebody is doing something.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

The difference is that there isn't a swarm of people coming across the DPRK/ROK border. They usually come by way of China.
edit on 18-6-2014 by TDawgRex because: spelling

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

There is an easy way to secure the border -

"Come left 5 degrees and fire for effect".

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

ALL of these illegal immigrants should be directly shipped to democratic strongholds, and they should be billed for all expenses - then let the constituents vote out their idiotic leaders - once they have to pay for all the "welfare" and have to deal with all the crime, and have to live with all the contagious diseases these people are bringing in with them.

Let me see - CA, WA, OR - or their "democratic stronghold cities - IL, I should say the city of Chicago - the city of Detroit - the city of Cinncinati - and let's not forget the liberal cities of the northeast -

Let those idiots use their taxpayer dollars to house, clothe, feed, and medicate these illegals -

The catholic church seems to have a lot of "wealth" too --

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Ha ha! I knew I liked you.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

And then when that doesn't work just start killing them?
Seems that is the road that "solution" leads too.

I guess papa bear o Reily is gonna get what he wants. Was watching him today and his solution was the national guard, I know that is not what this is saying but also seems like the road this is heading down.
1.3 million a week is quite the price tag, wonder who's is shaving off the top in that one.

edit on thThu, 19 Jun 2014 00:26:32 -0500America/Chicago620143280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Reply to Happy1

just do what Australia does, send them off shore for processing! Make processing take up to seven years. Make the detention center as inhumane as legally possible and in a place that they don't want to live (like papua new guinea)....
This works a treat!
edit on 19-6-2014 by lambchop because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2014 by lambchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's called sarcasm.

The flow of illegal immigrants coming across the border could be slowed / stopped if the Mexican economy could catch up. An economically strong Mexico is beneficial to the US and not a security threat. Even in the US you have people moving from one state to another region in the state or another state altogether based on economic decisions.

Hell I have moved from one state to another for a higher / better paying jobs / benefits.

I have no issues with lawful immigration either. You want to come to the US you are more than welcome. All we ask is to consider yourself an American and bring the best of your culture with you to add to the mix that is the United States. Coming to the US to "start over" only to bitch and complain about the US culture while demanding others accept theirs is problematic.

Immigration only works when its a melting pot. Without that melting pot nothing meshes together, resulting in lumps here and there than can, at times, ruin the entire thing.

With that said the state of the Mexican economy and its drug issues are interlinked with the US simply because of the market we represent and the demand for illegal drugs in this country. However that issue is not entirely the fault of the United States. The Mexican government is also responsible. When the Mexican government establishes an upper wage limit that can be paid to employees by foreign companies it creates an imbalance.

Countries like Mexico via the governments have an interest in forcing low wages simply to attract foreign businesses to employ their citizens. Having that type of control rarely ever allows the economic situation to improve and stabilize.

With that said the US has its own issues we need to fix and the influx of illegal immigrants and the US governments focus on them instead of US citizens creates resentment, which further inflames the issue of illegal immigration.

Amnesty does not work. We know this because Regan did the very thing that is being debated in congress now. The goal was to end the influx and instead it had the opposite effect. When the Federal government refuses to enforce federal immigration laws, when the federal government goes after states who try to pass laws restricting the aid / assistance available to illegal immigrants, when new legislation authorizes special circumstances for illegal immigrants while denying the same to the US citizens causes even more resentment.

With Obama and Holders failure to enforce laws we are now seeing violent criminals making their way into the US. You have the Mexican government telling its citizens that illegally entering the US is not a crime, when in reality it is.

When the US government would rather help people who break the law from another country while ignoring their own domestic issues it creates very real problems and resentment. Instead of the US people telling the US government to fix their rectal cranial inversion they are telling those who enter illegally to leave.

To an extent I don't blame them. The number of times I have had to deal with Mexican nationals for driving while intoxicated, no valid operator license, no car insurance, only to see those charges dismissed by the PA while the same does not occur for US citizens, justification for anger and resentment are not hard to find.

A fix for illegal immigration must be comprehensive and it must take into account what the American people have issues with. it must address issues in foreign countries that creates the environment where their nationals leave for another country.

For Mexico to file a diplomatic protest with the US because we were deporting Mexican nationals who were convicted of violent felonies back to Mexico is asinine. The argument they used, that they don't want the crime in their country and don't have the means to deal with them just added that much more acid into the wound.

Absent a comprehensive fix, I have no issues with deploying the military along the border to control the numbers coming into the US.

Before people want to take the US to task over its policies on immigration they should research Mexico's immigration laws first. Their laws are draconian compared to US immigration laws. For Mexico to bitch about the US returning their nationals while they charge illegal immigrants coming in from central America into Mexico with felonies punishable by up to 7 years in a Mexican prison is hypocrisy at its finest.

edit on 19-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: lambchop
Reply to Happy1

just do what Australia does, send them off shore for processing! Make processing take up to seven years. Make the detention center as inhumane as legally possible and in a place that they don't want to live (like papua new guinea)....
This works a treat!

We do that at Gitmo. The problem is the moment they make it to Domestic US territory they are protected by our laws, specifically due process. Immigration courts are backlogged as it is. We cannot ship them from the US mainland to Gitmo for processing.

Secondly this administration has been playing with the numbers to make it appear as if they are deporting more, when in reality they are not. Illegals picked up at the border and who are sent back almost immediately are being considered as deportations when in reality they are not.
edit on 19-6-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: lambchop
Reply to Happy1

This works a treat!

Yes it does work.

Under Howard, he did this and guess what? They stopped coming! The boats stopped almost cold. So no more people were sent to detention centres. If the system works and stops them coming then job done.

If Texas closes the border, the illegals will still come, just that they will come through another state.

The Most Powerful Country In The Whole Wide World, and you can't secure a single border.

It would not take much to make it a PITA to cross. Forget the processing! They come, round them up, send them back, all in the same day. 3rd time crossing, send the to jail for 5 years, make them work, then send them back.

At the moment the whole system just is as silly as. The rest of the world is laughing at you.

Your Pres is a shmook and a stupid one at that. Should have been a ballet dancer, prima donna style.

P

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
...The Most Powerful Country In The Whole Wide World, and you can't secure a single border.

Should tell you that something is amiss, here...

...The rest of the world is laughing at you. ...

We're laughing, too... It's just - not - funny!
Thanks for all your kindness & empathy.

BTW - Do you control your politicians? Are they regularly representing your best interest/s?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Happy1

Sorry, Washington State has its fair share. Thanks anyway...

Attempting to secure the border will be a task beyond the capacity of any state...even Texas.

It'll require the attention of the Federal govt., but we all know how enthused they are on this aspect of national security...

But, it is a step. But only a step.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

BTW - Do you control your politicians? Are they regularly representing your best interest/s?

No mate, we laugh at them, ignore them, but they know! There is a line they cannot cross.

We keep them guessing where that line is. We did not mark it out for them.

Our military is also very different. If the Government got out of hand, the military would just as likely take power and call new elections. Has never happened yet, but it is early days, we are a young country.

It takes a lot to upset us, but when we get peed off, we can do things that would scare the hell out of you.

WW2, General Douglass MacArthur said, 'The Kokoda Trail can not be taken." We went in and took it away from them. It was a bit of a challenge.

P

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Sorry, Washington State has its fair share. Thanks anyway...
...Attempting to secure the border will be a task beyond the capacity of any state...even Texas.
...It'll require the attention of the Federal govt., but we all know how enthused they are on this aspect of national security...
...But, it is a step. But only a step.

I lived in Colorado for 8 years prior to returning to Texas (my birth & home state).
A company I worked for in Colorado...for a brief time (1 year) actively sought out 'illegals'... They would put up with the illegals often taking time 'off'...to return to Mexico...to bring back MORE illegal workers.
Of course, the company was headquartered in another state, and didn't have to deal with the burden such activities and policies placed on the local work-force/citizenry... They were simply able to keep 'costs' down. (quality of workmanship was SH*T...but...they produced SH*T at record pace)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join