It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching Creationism As Science Now Banned In All UK Public Schools

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Lets get down to basics here the only reason this is being made policy or law is because you have a massive influx of Muslims demanding their own schools because public school curriculum is deemed heretical.

My point with the unemployment statistics is that all of the praise you lavish on this is for nothing because despite what you teach your children they don't have opportunities to utilize that education. Let them have all of the free education in the world its for nothing if there are no JOBS to apply that education. You are talking about how lovely the fixtures are on the Titanic while water gushes in through the hull.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Honestly this whole debate is ridiculous because knowledge of the formation of the world/universe/life outside of a religious context is useless knowledge for 99.999999% of people.

Can you buy food with that knowledge? Pay your mortgage? Will you get better service at a restaurant? Will it help you restore that old car you always wanted? Yeah see useless information.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

To be honest, and the op may not agree so apologies, I think your conversation about youth employment / unemployment rates highlights the issues with the educational systems. It highlights the cost of higher education and a return on that investment. It demonstrates school curriculum needs to be looked at and reevaluated on a constant basis in order to make sure what we are teaching in school is applicable to the real world.

We talk about old economy jobs being replaced with new economy jobs but has our educational system at its base made the adjustment as well? The argument about creationism verse science I think underlines one of the fundamental problems our system faces.

We seem to be concentrating on the wrong battle so to speak. What part of creationism verse science will prepare our youth to be successful in the real world?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
You were taught all that?
Our system is sorely lacking in comparison.
Yes, and I enjoyed that rich education of other peoples beliefs in a 1980's dirt poor council estate school (with obligatory smashed and boarded up windows) on the south west coast of Wales. My son has had an equally (if even better) education about religions and belief sytems during his learning experiences on the south west coast of England where I now live.

Even though I do not believe in gods and such like, I am glad that our education system makes it mandatory for state funded schools to teach students in dedicated religious education classes about the various beliefs people may follow in the UK. It can only help us understand each other a bit more, and hopefully foster more tolerance.

...I am also glad that creationist religious views are not allowed to be presented as scientific theories in state funded school science classes.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
@NihilistSanta
@Xcathdra

Sorry folks, I shall refrain from going off-topic into wider socio/economic/employment/immigration problems the UK is experiencing, in a thread I did not start myself, which is about education and creationism being prohibited from state funded school science lessons.

Interesting thoughts of course, and if you start a thread about such wider issues I may well contribute in depth, but not here. Youth unemployment in the UK has no relevance to creation myths being prohibited from state funded school science classes.
Apologies again to the OP.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
An odd moment of sanity in a wold gone stupid. Let hope it is the start of a trend and not an isolated incident.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I don't think you get the wider picture here or even the smaller one. You somehow view this as a secular victory and a sign of cultural enlightenment in your country but fail to recognize that it is really about immigration. Your country has issues with a Muslim population that refuses to assimilate and thus want state funded schools to teach Muslim ideas.

People are being dishonest trying to act like this is some backlash against Christians who believe in creationism and that the state was being forced to teach this to children as science.

You can ignore the employment data when considering the effectiveness of your countries education system if you want but it wont change facts. I can tell from the lack of comprehension about the OPs story and your spin that things are not as merry as you may believe.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: metamagic
An odd moment of sanity in a wold gone stupid. Let hope it is the start of a trend and not an isolated incident.

Well, urm, creationist myths have been banned from being presented as scientific theory at UK state funded schools for quite a few years now, this legislitive development is really just bringing the relatively new state funded 'academy' and 'free' school entities into line with local authority controlled schools.
I agree though, it is the correct move to make if any 'faith' schools want state funding.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NihilistSanta
Your country has issues with a Muslim population that refuses to assimilate and thus want state funded schools to teach Muslim ideas.

Nope, the legislation applies to all schools which apply for funding from the UK state.
Faith schools from ALL religions are prohibited from teaching their particular brand of creation myth in science classes as a scientific theory.
This applies equally to Animists, Bahá'í, Christians, Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, Zoroastrians, and everything in between. There is no specific mention of religious flavour in the legislation.
Why does that appear to trouble you?
I see it as a sensible and tolerant move when the national curriculum also allows (and requires) time for general awareness education of religious faith in dedicated classes.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
um, you guys, "theory of evolution" is a RElIGION...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
www.icr.org...
"According to astronomical observations, galaxies like our own experience about one supernova (a violently-exploding star) every 25 years. The gas and dust remnants from such explosions (like the Crab Nebula) expand outward rapidly and should remain visible for over a million years. Yet the nearby parts of our galaxy in which we could observe such gas and dust shells contain only about 200 supernova remnants. That number is consistent with only about 7,000 years worth of supernovas."

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
at least familiarize ourselves w the facts:

youtube: The Case For A Creator With Lee Strobel
www.youtube.com...
The Fossil Record Speaks
www.youtube.com...
yt: Uranium Halos are Proof Noah Flood Laid the Sedimentary Layers, Dr. gentry
www.youtube.com...

youtube: The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Title: “The Origin of Species By Means of Natural Selection OR The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life”

“Darwin believed in inbreeding (he married his maternal father’s grand-daughter, who was also his mother’s niece) to produce “superior stock”. He had 10 children. Mary died shortly after birth. Anne died at age 10, Robert was born retarded and died at 19 months. Henrietta had a serious breakdown at age 15. 3 of his 6 other sons were ill so often the Darwin regarded them as semi-invalids.
--In the Minds of Men, Ian Taylor, p. 127

“No rational man, cognizant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the white man.”
--Thomas Huxley 1871

"There will be in the next generation or so a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude and producing dictatorship without tears so to speak. Producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda, or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution."
-- Aldous Huxley, Tavistock Group, California Medical School, 1961

White Slavery in America - Michael Hoffman
youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verum1quaere
um, you guys, "theory of evolution" is a RElIGION...

No, it is a theory based on multiple evidence based hypothesis.

Regarding your further multiple posts in this thread, Darwin is not referenced anywhere.
The legislative changes stop religious claims of all flavours being presented as scientific theory in state funded UK school science lessons. Perhaps you think that we should adopt a religious position for creation as absolute fact, as all faiths require?
Which one do you wanna pick, Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Sikh, or even Shinto perhaps?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Teaching creationism is akin to child abuse. Score one for science and reason. Also, ever heard of theory of gravity? It's just a theory but I don't see anyone jumping off bridges to disprove it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: simsumre
I try to stay away from Godless people, the hypocrites that they are. It's okay to shove atheism down your throat but don't mention Jesus!

That's because one is a based on fact and educated, logical reasoning, and the other is myth. The two are absolutely not equal. Also, one is right and the other is wrong.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: simsumre
I try to stay away from Godless people, the hypocrites that they are. It's okay to shove atheism down your throat but don't mention Jesus!

I am not sure you know what the word hypocrite is it also seems you do not understand the meaning of "shoving down your throat".

You know I have never had an atheist show up at my door trying to hand me literature of non belief, ask for donations, or try to sell me something because it was nontheistic inspired. I sure as hell can't say that about those religious folk. They really know how to bother me on Saturdays mornings.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well, it doesnt really matter what the schools teach, though alternative theories would be more appropriate because evolution as defined is just a theory. It has a lot of holes.

www.phys.washington.edu...

Holograms and simulations are not accidents, but they're a technology. That doesn't mean religions are accurate however.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

Expression should never be banned, anywhere. This is a violation of the freedom of speech. Its up to communities what to teach their children. This sets a standard for an overbearing central government to force its education preferences on small communities. If a community would like to teach their children that the Earth if flat as science, well that is up to them. Not up to some bureaucrat 2,000 miles away. It is simple human nature that the people who care about a child most are its parents and then the surrounding community. People 2,000 miles away simple don't care as much. So, why are they being given the authority over the local community?

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join