It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching Creationism As Science Now Banned In All UK Public Schools

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: np6888

Yes, knowledge can be bent to do bad things. Does that mean we should stop progressing out of fear for what might happen?

Any tool designed to be helpful can be used to damage or harm. A hammer is a very useful tool that has been used for thousands of years, yet a hammer can be used to destroy and harm as much as it can be used to build and create. Would you advocate going back in time and removing the hammer or anything like it from existence?

I gladly accept the risks of progress because growth always leads to good, despite the bad that happens along the way. I refuse to conform out of fear, which is (IMO) the foundation of religion. Stifling knowledge and discovery because it goes against thousand year old text, or because someone might use it in a way other than was intended are poor reasons to stop learning, stop asking questions. If you are not moving forward, you are moving backwards.

Humanity has it's flaws, but crawling under a rock, clinging to an old book is never going to do anything to correct those flaws.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
That's treating it like fact.
It's considered both a fact and a theory.

The fact is that some kind of evolution happened, whether or not all the exact details and mechanisms are understood.

The "Theory of Evolution" or should I say "theories" as in plural, present different models of the details of how evolution might have occurred, and there is some debate about details in those models and they aren't considered factual. Dr Hazen is an expert and he explains this further in a video which is 100% relevant to the topic of this thread:

(click to open player in new window)

He coauthored a booklet explaining what can and can't be taught about "creation science" in US schools, and he explains what students are expected to learn in US classrooms, and distinguishes those lessons from their beliefs.

The video is good but for people who can't watch it, there's a wikipedia article on this topic:

Evolution as fact and theory

edit on 19-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Simply ...makes absolute sense. No room for nuttery in the classroom.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: robobbob
Using the State to silence the opposition is a loss to science and freedom, only tyranny wins.

...so, urm, which particular creation myths do you want taught in UK state-funded-school science classes?
There are lots to choose from in religious faith around the world.

I prefer such things to be discussed in dedicated religious education classes. That is a fair 'middle ground' position for state funded schools don't you think? Far from tyranny at least.

*Edit
"God did it" would be a piss poor science lesson, lol, goodnight.
edit on 19-6-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: robobbob
you just don't get it. once the "State" starts dictating official doctrine, it is truly a sign post on the road to tyranny.

You just don't' get that the state is always dictating official "doctrine" murder is bad, theft is bad, lying about creationism being a science is bad.

The state is not stopping anyone teaching creationism - just that they are not allowed to be dishonest about its relationship with science.

so yeah - I do get it - you don't like the truth about creationism.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: Snarl

I've looked ... and for the life of me, I've never been able to see definitive evolutionary change "from one species to another."

And I've never been able to build a rocket ship that could get me all the way to the moon

That's mostly because I don't know how

Sometimes it's OK to admit that some people know stuff we don't - that's what school is for

I think

Hmmm ... where to start?

So, some 'engineers' were brought together (being one, let me tell you I appreciate the nod). Electrical, mechanical, aeronautical, etc. engineers got together and designed, built, launched and flew a rocket ship to the moon ... and then repeated it. Yep, that's science!! The hard kind. The kind everyone can respect.

Tallying those efforts with evolutionary theory is the Aunt Sally (my nod to this UKer's thread) I've been waiting for. LOL. Some of us are old enough to remember the feat, but for the life of me, I can't recall what contribution evolutionary (soft) science contributed. Do you?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Without studies into evolution, there would have been less drive to deal with the problem of genetics. The science which is helping to develop treatment for the most disastrous hereditary diseases known to man, would never have been developed if it was not for the sparks which Darwin and others struck, with the first great study into understanding the relationship between environment, origin, and development in the wildlife they were observing.

To poo poo their work, is to urinate on the foundations of science and techniques which are saving lives right now, and if current progress levels are any indicator, will save many more in the future.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Do you see poo poo in mine?

The subject of evolutionary science needs to be run through the forge and hammered into something worthwhile. Using it as a tool to tear down religious teaching is good? No. When I see wrong I address it. I may be doing it my way, but I'm not going to sit back and watch 'the popular' take advantage of those with soft voices.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: robobbob

I'd vote for you any day. Wherever you are, come to my city/state/country and run for office!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well going by the headline, this whole subject only applies to PUBLIC SCHOOLS.....that's fee paying schools. So that leaves state schools...(government run) exempt then?

Sorry being a bit picky.....I did read the article too...so in and of itself....shows the author who wrote the article is not well informed. Creationism as far as I know and I've been around for over 50 years was and has never been taught in state schools....what the toffs in public school get up to....I have no idea.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
Don't patronizing me my friend. I caught the passive agressiveness.

If you want to write stuff then you do not get a free pass to have it accepted uncritically.

I'm well aware what a scientific theory is, but the theory of evolution is all too often portrayed as fact especially in media.

Indeed - but you were not talking about how the media presents scientific theories - you were talking about how "Science" presents them. And science does NOT present theories as "facts" as you suggested.

How the media portrays it inaccurately is not the fault of the science, and is problem also common with with anti-scientism like your rant.

In academia there is zero tolerance for anything that contradicts it. That's treating it like fact.

Rubbish - anything that contradicts the (or any) currently accepted theory gets EXAMINED, and its evidence EVALUATED.

And so far nothing has held up.

That is not "zero tolerance" - that is applying the scientific method.

and that is exactly why science is science and religion is not.

edit on 19-6-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: quote tags

edit on 19-6-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: still quote tags

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

What robobob said was well articulated, reasonable, and wise. It recognizes a reoccurring pattern that every great tyrannical or authoritarian country tends to go through. We should all be as wise.

Remember, it takes intellectual integrity to concede when someone nails it. He did.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Well going by the headline, this whole subject only applies to PUBLIC SCHOOLS.....that's fee paying schools. So that leaves state schools...(government run) exempt then?

Sorry being a bit picky.....I did read the article too...so in and of itself....shows the author who wrote the article is not well informed. Creationism as far as I know and I've been around for over 50 years was and has never been taught in state schools....what the toffs in public school get up to....I have no idea.

If you had comprehended the article you would not have posted this. In this context it clearly identifies "public" schools as any schools receiving any public money.

So you are exactly wrong.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

ROFL....are you a sock puppet for him/her?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Oh friend, you have such a hardened heart.

I apologize for making you so angry. Good day; I'm out.

***hardened heart*** I'm referring to the very angry, nasty reply you left before you edited it twice.
edit on 6192014 by JohnFisher because: to add 3rd paragraph. marked with ***

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel
Ah no, the story in this case/OP is just existing legislation catching up with the newly legislated players, academy & free schools, which are funded by the state.
It means they cannot teach creation myths as fact in science lessons.
A good thing in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

No I am exactly correct. Creationism has never been taught in any way shape or form for the last 40 years in any government funded state school myself, my children or my friends or their children have attended.

Instead of 'picky' read pedantic and semantics then.

Goodnight....

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Creationism has never been taught in any way shape or form for the last 40 years in any government funded state school myself, my children or my friends or their children have attended.

Same for me, just a bit less than the 40 years experience you assert.
Perhaps that is another example of the UK state being generally successful in it's legislation regarding the teaching of unverifiable creation myths in science classes?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

No I am exactly correct. Creationism has never been taught in any way shape or form for the last 40 years in any government funded state school myself, my children or my friends or their children have attended.

This is irrelevant to your initial point - which was that "public schools" = "private schools" - it was that that you were exactly wrong about in het context of this thread - as the article linked in het OP specifically states -

The new verbiage changes this, precluding all public-funded schools — present or future — from teaching creationism as evidence-based theory.

but back to your statement above - what percentage of state funded schools in the UK would that be?

How about the others - got any data on them?

edit on 19-6-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: quote tag

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

But, soft science lends no positive conclusion to the question either.

Dude, there is no conclusion...ACCEPT IT! ...and never will be.
edit on 19-6-2014 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join