It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No More Election Day - Florida wants Election Season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I don't know, this doesn't seem right, imo, this would open up the possibility for greater voter fraud scenarios to happen if the voting period was to be extended, but it's possible i still could be persuaded to believe otherwises, right now I am just unsure if this is a good idea.

Get rid of Election Day, election chiefs say
Florida's election supervisors, impressed by the success of early voting, proposed dramatic reforms Tuesday that would eliminate Election Day, replace it with an 11-day election season and do away with precincts.

The association of the state's 67 chief elections officials voted in concept at its annual winter meeting in Orlando to informally present the idea to the Legislature and to start rallying support for what its members concede would be a sea change in how Floridians vote.

''I think the voters spoke loud and clear in the general election of 2004 that they want other options than to be limited to 12 hours on a Tuesday to vote,'' said Bill Cowles, Orange County supervisor of elections and president of the Florida State Association of Supervisors of Elections. ``We should seize upon the opportunity in 2005 to make the changes so we can try it in 2006.''

This past election season marked the first time that Florida used early voting across the state and it was a proven success, as some voters waited in line for hours in order to cast their ballot ahead of Election Day.

Election supervisors say the experience showed them they could move away from the traditional Election Day and a precinct structure many believe is outdated. Instead of hundreds of precincts in a county, for example, voters could go to any of a few super-voting sites equipped with enough machines and personnel to keep lines at a minimum.

What do you think, should we keep Election Day as the first Tuesday in November or allow all these alternative methods??

[edit on 12-1-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
is it because you're not from Florida that you don't care? Or it this just another example of apathy when it comes the US political and election system?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i agree . i think its a good idea . not to mention in florida they were closing the voting stations early even if there were people still in line to vote .

also , can they ask you who you are voting for when you call to ask for a polling station by your area ?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
That's because Floridians don't know how to vote. They need an eleven day "season" to teach everyone how to vote.

I know in many states, down hur in Texas, they have early voting(about a week and a half early), which is in a sense similar to the 11 day voting season proposed by the Phloridians.

[edit on 1-12-2004 by Frosty]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
'Apathy in American elections?'

You had to laugh as you typed.

The WORLD has had American elections and politics until it is gorged. A pig about to split wide open because of American poltricks. Let digestion have a chance.

Those people in Florida don't need 11 days- they need accuracy in registration and counting. 2000 and 2004 both proved to the world how bad elections can be. The Ukraine mess is just Florida without Diebold or chads.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I don't think that 11 days are needed, but certainly having more
than just one is a good idea for high population and rural areas.
If there are three or four days, then there will be shorter lines in hot
weather, easier access, more time for elderly to get there, etc.

I don't have a problem with a few days for voting. It's a good idea.
I think 11 is probably waaaaaaaaaaay too long.

new topics

top topics

join