It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Best and Worse Tasting MRE's

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:53 PM
a reply to: HardCorps

The chicken cavatelli is amazing, cheese tortellini is the boss as well. If you get the meatloaf, and your buddy has the frankfurters( these are terrible BTW, imagine a hotdog that was made of almost 1/2 salt) you can take the butter noodles from the frankfurters, and the jalapeno cheese, to make really good jalapeno mac and cheese.

I agree the pound cake was worth its weight in gold.

always save your coffee rats in the MRE, the older guys with the "claw" ( as we used to call it as they walk around in the morning with their hands held out in this fashion like they are holding a coffee cup) will trade smokes food, hell I even saw a guy take a guard shift for a guys saved up coffee rats, it was a couple of days worth.

We used to take the heaters and save them as well. They make really good hand and feet warmers for cold environs, just add a few drops of water instead of the entire amount, it will get quite warm, but not hot like it is intended, and it will last much longer.

I had one last all night on my 12 hour shift once, and let me tell you, 30 MPH in the turret of a humvee in the middle of winter is kinda brutal.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
Chili Mac of course, just throw in the spices and Cheese pack and smashed up crackers and you got yourself meal.

Beef Patty was my Fav, I could dress that up into a gourmet burger, lol.

Veggiw Omelet was the worse, but you know....there's always that guy an this guy LOVED Veggie Omelet, he would tear it up!!!
The gas he left were some WHOPPERS!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:03 PM
I agree about the hunger issue, I was dying the entire time I was in basic. I could barely even make it from one meal to the next, and I would eat everything, no matter what it was, just to fill my belly.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:26 PM
The cheese tortellini and chicken tetrazzini were good, provided that you added the little bottle of Tobasco. But after months of MRE's and UGR's, I could only manage to choke down the jalapeno cheese and crackers and Lemon poppyseed cake.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:29 PM

omelette must agree we always passed that down to the less fortunate or gimp built soldiers. i would say ravioli

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:49 AM
Meatloaf is the BEST hands down. Next is the breaded chicken patty
Jalapeno cheese spread or bacon cheese spread
The cobbler and chocolate pound cake FTW

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:12 AM
i found that they all taste pretty good after a few BRD's.
that is beers ready to drink.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
Worst - Omlet hands down.

Best - Chili-Mac (Smashing up the crackers and dumping them in the pouch with the chili was amazing)

You could do it with the spaghetti too but it just wasn't as good.

OH, and apple jelly.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 05:57 AM

My Tops:
Beef Stew (always a classic)
Pasta with Sauce
Beef Stroganof(spelling?)

Anything egg based. Goddamn did I paint the ground orange from those damn eggs.

I was never into the pound cake. My general strategy was to trade EVERYTHING except my top entrees, peanut butter, trail mix and the drink packets. Calories are good but when push came to shove the Drink mixes kept me going. I once humped it for 4 days straight on a single orange drink mix pcket and a brownie that was as hard as a rock.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:16 AM
If actual military MRE's, the Chili Mac and Beef Stew

For civilian dehydrated meals, still Beef Stew, but also the Stroganoff, and Chicken Pasta ones.

Never saw the need for the tuna ones, as keeps in packets and cans just fine for a long time. Never had the guts to try them after smelling it once.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:35 AM
My favorite was the Jambalaya. Heat it up and dump in the tabasco and crackers and you were eating like a king.

The worst I've ever tasted were these humanitarian aid rations we had to eat in Indonesia when the LCAC that was supposed to be picking us up was broke down, leaving us on the beach for another couple of days. Ran out of normal MREs and had to eat one of those things.

The one I got was Lentils. Tasted unbelievably disgusting.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:43 AM
Nobody ever liked the cheese and veggie omelet. I learned to make that thing taste delicious. With enough Tabasco and red pepper.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:54 AM
a reply to: Echo3Foxtrot

With enough Tabasco and red pepper, my ex-wife's cooking tasted good. Even the "scrambled eggs" (runny and crunchy).

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:10 AM

Chili mac was always my favorite followed closely by horse roast, err I mean pot roast.

I also really liked the jalapeno cheese spread even if it did almost make me shart.

Veggie manicotti and veggie burgers- blech

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 11:17 AM
Now there is a true Survival tip for ya all...

No matter how disgusting it tastes---You can eat most anything as long as you have enough

Tabasco Sauce !!!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 04:29 PM
You had to drink a full canteen of water down to wash down the pound cake and thick crackers. There was this one mre that I cant remember the name anymore and it sounded as bad as it tasted. Something called reconstituted, chopped and rearranged beef patties I believe.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 06:19 PM
I ate Cs back in my navy days.

LRPs in the late 1970s

And MREs when doing wildlands fire fighting.
Some years firefighters use more MREs then the military.

if used right the MRE heaters will keep you warm on the coldest night.

By adding approximately one (1) tablespoon of water to a used heater, it can often be reactivated. This heat is great to warm yourself or to warm a sleeping bag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>