It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alberta Flooding 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Here we go again. Hopefully our Alberta members stay dry (Yes I mean you Calgarian!)

Environment Canada says a low-pressure system is expected to bring up to 70 millimetres of rain Wednesday in the southwestern foothills before tapering off Thursday morning. The total rainfall in that area may exceed 200 millimetres.

www.cbc.ca...

Alberta's director of river forecasting, Evan Friesenham, said they're predicting a peak flow in the South Saskatchewan River of 5,300 cubic metres per second in Medicine Hat, about the same as in 2013. "Obviously that's a worst-case scenario," he said. "As the storm progresses and we have more information on the ground, we'll be refining forecasts throughout the basin and throughout the southern portion of the province as we go."

www.cbc.ca...

I was hoping that this wasn't going to be a yearly trend...
edit on 18-6-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everyone in the affected area.

I heard something last night about the Old Man River Dam, but my brain was on pause at that time. Can you clue me in on the connection, if any?
edit on 18-6-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The Oldman river is supposed to rise by, wait for it...25 to 30 feet above normal.

!!

Lethbridge County has declared a state of local emergency, saying water levels in the Oldman River are extremely high and could rise to 1995 flood levels. The river may rise 6 meters based on the forecast and the preliminiary operational plans of the dams upstream.

www.rock106.ca...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wow!

Someone quick! Get the drain unplugged!

Hope everyone up there stay's safe, and keeps an eye on things.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Isn't this the area that the Tar Sands are running through/to?

If so, this should SCREAM eco terrorism.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Nope the danger is mostly in the South West of the province, tar sands are in the North.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

You may be on to something. I never did trust the Starbucks crowd.

They made it rain, probably by praying to the Starbucks logo.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
No this is much father south than the oilsands.

This is what happens when you build/live on a low lying flood plain.

Granted, when they design they take into account that they can deal with about 80 - 90% of the maximum flood levels because the maximum flood levels are only reached a few times every 1/2 decades (supposedly).

They had a few plans they were putting into place, but they take time. and dealing with this two years in a row makes that almost impossible.

new topics

top topics

join