It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

These ignorant Native Americans don't even know where the term Redskin came from.

Eastern tribes had a custom where they painted themselves with red paint made with blood root.

They did this when they went to visit other tribes. It was a sign that they came in peace.

I think it is an appropriate name for the Washington team.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954
Well! This has been cooking for a long time.What are your thoughts ATS'ers? Should they be able to keep the name Redskins?

Given the general tenor of this thread, I'm always amused by white folk telling First Nations how they ought to self-identify. And then wonder why they're being called out on it.

I especially like it when whites get their knickers in a twist over turnaround...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Since we're renaming the team, I came up with a couple.

The Brooklyn Dodgers were originally Trolley Dodgers. Using Blank Dodgers as a template, I have:

Washington Draft Dodgers
Washington Truth Dodgers

Though the Dodgers name has no history with Washington I still thought these were semi-amusing.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Dumb.

Far more Native Americans are offended by the people pictured on money. But if they tried to change that do you think there would be any traction? Not to say I think we should change how the bills look(Not against it, not really for it, doesn't bother me either way) but the idea behind changing the Redskins name because its insensitive to Native Americans is a complete joke.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
No white guilt here. Just opinion. Before I even know that I was supposed to feel guilty for being the majority in America, I thought the Washington Redskins was a funny way to throw salt in a wound.
Now, the logo, I have no problem with. Just the name. It is the opposite with the Cleveland Indians. In that case, their name is fine and I find the logo a little racist.
Just for fun, pull up both teams, and put the Indians logo with the Redskins name.
But, like I said before, I'm not native American. Hell I'm not even a Redskins fan, so at the end of the day, I really don't care what they do. It's an interesting debate and I had to give my 2cents.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
America's troubles have dropped to such a low level that debating a football team's name is now a very important problem to solve.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What a joke. A word or a name isn't offensive they are just letters in a certain sequence. How those words are used can be offensive. There's absolutely nothing offensive about their name, and if you are one of the people offended by it, then look inside, because it's only your personal biases that make you offended by it.

Free speech isn't ALA CARTE you don't just get to pick and choose what's free and what isn't, it's either all free or none of it's free.

Lastly if the name is really that offensive, don't buy their gear, don't buy their tickets, don't watch them on TV, they quit making money they'll change it. Right now this is going the way everything else in this country has gone. WASTE. Tax payer dollars for Judges and staff to hear these cases, and the only people benefiting, are the Lawyers. Where did all these MORONS come from?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EverydayInVA
What a joke. A word or a name isn't offensive they are just letters in a certain sequence.
You know what? Unless you are speaking as a member of the First Nations...you're in no position to make that call. You may be entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't add much.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If this name is ok is very easy to figure out. Would you go on a reservation and start using the term redskins aloud? We all know the term has a comteporary derogatory meaning. We all know we would not start refering to native americans as Redskins in front of them. This board ruled against the trademark based on a complaint and case presented by native americans. At one time I had no problem with the name until I realized I would never use that term in front of native americans and then I changed my mind.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: UMayBRite!
a reply to: nighthawk1954

These ignorant Native Americans don't even know where the term Redskin came from.

I'm sure they've completely forgotten:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua
I can't find redskin on the doc.

edit on 20-6-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

The (back then) popular name for indian scalps was 'redskins'.

Note the ages that warrant a 20 Pound reward? 12 years, male or female.

Blame the English, you'll feel better about it.

---------------

edit to add - Pick the source for 'Redskins' you'd prefer:

1) Native skin colour

2) war paint

3) Indian scalps

Personally, I think all three are right.

edit on 20/6/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

In the context of the team's name I see no reason to include # 3.

If the name itself is solely pejorative why did they use it to speak of themselves?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join