It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased DOT regulation on the trucking industry, conspiracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I've been hearing from some friends of mine that the trucking industry is changing a lot and it's getting harder for truckers to make money.

If this is true, is the reasoning behind In increase in regulation brought about due to political lobbying to prevent truckers from having the ability to make more money so that large corporations can increase their profits?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I live very near I70 as it runs through Illinois in to Terre Haute, Indiana. Over the last 6 months, I've seen more trucks pulled over by DOT and State Police than I've ever seen in the 15 years I've lived here. They have portable scales out and seem to always have the trucks open and checking the cargo. Maybe they are looking for drugs or illegals, but they are cracking down hard lately. Funny thing is, they just built a new weigh station, right on the state line, but it is closed half the time I go by.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I've been hearing from some friends of mine that the trucking industry is changing a lot and it's getting harder for truckers to make money.

If this is true, is the reasoning behind In increase in regulation brought about due to political lobbying to prevent truckers from having the ability to make more money so that large corporations can increase their profits?

I'm not sure there's an agenda. I think some of it may be related to accidents, etc. like the crash in New Jersey that injured Tracey Morgan. Incidents like that always seem to bring the trucking industry and driving hours to the forefront. I'm curious though as to how corporations would increase their profits...they still have to get their goods to market.

DAVID64, I've seen plenty of weigh stations closed as well...it does seem odd not to utilize them or under utilize them for what they were built for.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra
By making the market harder to sustain for owner operators.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Those regulations are nothing , Wait till google teams up with walmart with their self driving trucks.

Doesn't look to good for the trucking industry.

Google planning to test 100 self-driving cars

Google’s last model, a Lexus SUV, has logged over 100,000 miles on the streets of Mountain View, California

www.wsbtv.com...

edit on 33630America/ChicagoWed, 18 Jun 2014 09:33:14 -0500up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
It's not just the trucking industry, all businesses are struggling. The regulations that have been implemented the last few years are overwhelming for us small business owners.

Every time I turn around there's another fee or tax I have to pay. There's very little room to make a profit anymore. Seriously thinking of closing shop. The madness of owning a business is just not worth it anymore.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well what's ridiculous is that over 70% of the wrecks involving tractor-trailers are caused by four wheelers.

So what did the government do in many places?

Started cracking down on the truck drivers and yet continue to allow bad four wheeler drivers to drive.

In the state of Texas they even require insurers to give insurance to the worst of drivers. The people who should be riding the bus and not behind the wheel are placed into a pool and whatever unlucky insurer gets them has to insure them.

So yes, they have been cracking down hardcore on truck drivers.

Is it a conspiracy?

More than likely it's just more government nonsense that never gets to the root of the actual issues. The root being idiot four wheeler drivers.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yes, it is in order to make it more difficult for the owner opperators
They don't pay lobbyists to effect government.
And on the flip side of that power struggle for product shipment is the Railroads.
They are fighting tooth and nail to keep their power.
And are responsible for transporting not just end user goods but also energy.
Trains transport all the Coal and most of the oil right now.
Thus why no pipeline (sure, you can tell yourself its because America is so environmentally aware, but really its the Railroads money that keeps the oil in the trains and not in pipelines)

But shhhh don't tell anyone, wouldn't want the truth to come out

X

new topics

top topics

join