It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness doesn't exist as a thing.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldlikecustard
In simplest terms is consciousness not simply just self awareness?

The word consciousness was assigned to describe something that is aware of self and all that is around us. It also expands, and is unlimited. As an example, you're self aware and then expand to awareness of self in relation to others. Move forward to manifest a conscious state of being - thoughts can manifest into a consciousness or unconsciousness of the future (negative or positive). Maybe the end of expansion is that is survives when our brains stop working. This might mean we are actually picking up on it rather than possessing it. It can very well be outside of us but we own a little bit of it as we act on it. This is kinda Terrance McKenna stuff but in short, it can expand in a good way and we all have some of it individually and collectively.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

You could well have that all the way round. Maybe everything is an epiphenomena of consciousness...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

But the consciousness doesn't really have an existence.

Care to elaborate how you could make such a statement "without existing"?

People mind meld themselves too much. I'm reading threads about we are Gods and then here we don't even exist. Ships at sea without a rudder.

Sorry, i'm in an iconoclastic mood today.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

But the consciousness doesn't really have an existence.

Care to elaborate how you could make such a statement "without existing"?

It has an immaterial existence. It doesn't exist as a material thing. You can never point to it. Everything in your brain and body works to make it, or allows it to occur, but nothing in your brain or body is it.

People mind meld themselves too much. I'm reading threads about we are Gods and then here we don't even exist. Ships at sea without a rudder.

I agree.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

It has an immaterial existence. It doesn't exist as a material thing. You can never point to it. Everything in your brain and body works to make it, or allows it to occur, but nothing in your brain or body is it.

If its immaterial then "it" can't exist. Yet "it" is, so there we are.

More like its made of stuff we can't detect yet. I'd give you an example but I can't.

Maybe like light? You can see the source and what it reflects off of but not the beam in between?

I dunno…

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I dunno…

Noone does. But I think it helps to entertain a variety of ideas while we try to figure it out.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I agree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join