It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Back when I was a kid, adults would keep their kids from eating too much sweets, not because they got fat, because they got all wound up and sooner or later they got sickly. Now in this society, where parents are conditioned to hand their kids twenty bucks because they can't spend time with them, the kids are treating themselves to stuff that makes them fat. Parents buy stuff the kids like, not thinking of the consequences of spoiling them. This has been going on for a few generations now. It is just the domino effect that is developing.

The foods that are being pushed are calming foods, they are not for everyone. Parents should also be told to watch out for negative side effects associated with dietary changes. But of course, the government would rather see us all doped up so I guess Michelle is just doing her job.

We, the parents, need to monitor the food our kids eat and see how it effects their personality. This was done in the past, but not by everyone, most parents were knowledgeable about these things though. Society changed and the Fads made us fatter. It takes generations to properly adjust the food a person consumes, a little each generation is ok. Don't take advice about nutrition from a Lawyer. Get it from your oldest relative. Humble yourself and ask what they know, don't be telling a ninety year old that is lucid that what you have learned is better than what they know from experience. They can teach you a lot if you do not intimidate them.

Forget about asking half of the people in my generation, they weren't paying attention. I wasn't, I trusted our government would make food safe. What a fool I was to believe that.
edit on 19-6-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

This is very sad but true. Mostly because the information out there is largely false and geared toward making profits for industries that sell garbage and chemically laden foodstuffs as nutrition. I guess we are supposed to assume anything in a package, prepared is not to be considered for nutritional value at all. I am not sure why we bother to include the information on the backs of the packaging. This only makes it look as if there are some vitamin sources in them, when chances are it's minimal and unusable. No one tells you a plant based diet will restore health for example. People don't know this because not only is it well hidden , when any suggestion of the kind surfaces, there are all kinds of political factions who push it back. I eliminated caffeine, meat, sugar and processed foods for a short while and experienced something like an epiphany. A sense of mind and body well being I had never experienced previously and did not even know was possible. I did not know I could feel much better and almost every single ache and pain would miraculously VANISH. It was then I figured out...the means to good health is a maze of misinformation and lies. Eat vegetables, fruit, nuts and whole grains exclusively and the body responds like you fed it Miraclegrow.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

This is very sad but true. Mostly because the information out there is largely false and geared toward making profits for industries that sell garbage and chemically laden foodstuffs as nutrition. I guess we are supposed to assume anything in a package, prepared is not to be considered for nutritional value at all. I am not sure why we bother to include the information on the backs of the packaging. This only makes it look as if there are some vitamin sources in them, when chances are it's minimal and unusable. No one tells you a plant based diet will restore health for example. People don't know this because not only is it well hidden , when any suggestion of the kind surfaces, there are all kinds of political factions who push it back. I eliminated caffeine, meat, sugar and processed foods for a short while and experienced something like an epiphany. A sense of mind and body well being I had never experienced previously and did not even know was possible. I did not know I could feel much better and almost every single ache and pain would miraculously VANISH. It was then I figured out...the means to good health is a maze of misinformation and lies. Eat vegetables, fruit, nuts and whole grains exclusively and the body responds like you fed it Miraclegrow.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

So, because she claims she is too stupid to take care of her own kids, we are all supposed to listen to her advice in how to take care of ours? Besides which, looking at pics, it isn't her kids that look t=like they have weight issues. Maybe she needs to get a hint that we neither need nor want any of her advice.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: kruphix

The only difference between most people and Michelle is that she took action when her doctor pointed it out.

As if everyone has to be told by their doctor,
and
As if she is the only one that was capable of taking action.

Who else is attempting to take any action?

America's kids are fat...and at least she is trying to do something about it.

My kids aren't fat. They are all (all five of them) at healthy weights. They also don't attend public schools, and are not involved in (or remotely interested in) organized sports. Yet they are at healthy weights. They rarely get sick, either, and I mean RARELY.

So, perhaps you should stop touting the party line, and assuming that because MO claims she's too stupid to feed her kids that every other parent is just like that.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: Cuervo

Her desert is normally an apple or a banana and she actually asks for these things.

Yes and you have to have money for food first off. I never saw a salad until I was 8 years old, never ate any fruit as it didn't grow where we lived and we lived on beans and rice. My youngest sister was given canned milk to drink the rest of us never had milk. Not everyone has $$ for food.

Sounds a lot like what my mom had growing up. Beans and cornbread in her case, and never too much of even that. I had a German language teacher once that spoke of having beer instead of milk as a child (WWII era), and meat shortages. People do what they can with what they have. I was a twig as a child, and my mother cooked large portions, and heavy calorie items, as a result of her own childhood, I am sure. Childhood obesity is about a lot more than just the food choices. I get irritated myself when people assume everyone can and should buy no "junk food", and all organic. Heck, we'd all starve trying that!

Besides, the claim that you can't eat any sweets and be healthy is silly. My kids are all healthy, and they get their desserts. Good weights on all of them, and very seldom even sick. Smart kids, too!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Besides, the claim that you can't eat any sweets and be healthy is silly. My kids are all healthy, and they get their desserts. Good weights on all of them, and very seldom even sick. Smart kids, too!

When my kids were young my sister and I picked all the are fruit and made Blackberry pies to freeze, canned fig, pomegranate, Apricot fruit and Jam that lasted all year. I certainly feel these goodies were healthy, I made cookies but they didn't get to eat all they wanted at once.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

maybe part of it is carbs..but it's also f**ked up oils, and synthetic ingredients,

I read this as ...but it's also sexual intercorsed up oils....I wish people would stop with the strange language!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

and i wish you'd not nitpick, and actually reply to the content of the post.

conversations tend to go so much smoother that way, yes?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus

and i wish you'd not nitpick, and actually reply to the content of the post.

conversations tend to go so much smoother that way, yes?

To me it is important and not just nit-picking! Why make it part of the content of your post did it add anything.

I get really sick of these words being in my head, the only rule here that no one enforces. It is important to me because I believe the words we have in our heads and come out of our mouths affects everything!

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: SaturnFX
her suggesting we trim up doesn't flip me out...

her suggesting that the gov't has to make the hard choices because parents, even educated ones, aren't capable of picking carrot sticks over candy bars ... that SHOULD upset you.

I suppose you could send your kids to school with a bagged lunch

You suppose correctly. That's what we did. A healthy sandwich, carrots or applesauce, a milk in a box. Not hard to do.

See, thing is, we aren't too far off here in regards to what we want for the younglings..health.
But you are responsible, good for you.
You know full well perhaps the majority of parents aren't..be it out of laziness, no time, or simply truly not sure how to feed kids healthy verses just easily...the food program in school is for parents who actually want the school/state to sort this out..sort of their job to teach kids correctly, so what your arguing for, which makes no sense to me, is that they are attempting to do what parents generally assumed they were doing from the beginning..aka, serving fairly healthy lunches...
I know full well they didn't..well, they did sorta when I went to high school, but for a quarter more, you got pizza and fries..and so every day for me was of course pizza and fries, because screw meatloaf and weird watery carrots.

But yeah..they have been feeding kids all along for parents who didn't want to bother making kids lunch..why the outrage at making it a bit healthy...I think it needs to become a bit more diverse..the pic shown (not sure if it is true or skewed) is actually normal, but yeah..can step it up to at least prison food (who eat well actually)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: SaturnFX

no, what's laughable is the blind defense of crap like this, just because an obama is behind it.

No, its blind defense because its health behind it. Get a grip.
I have travelled the world..in my travels, and this is back in the early 2000s, Americans were known as the fat people. It was very depressing really, yet sorta true.
Go to france, Italy, England, etc...they have fat people, sure, but not remotely close to the gluttony we have here. We are a disgrace.
Anyone addressing that, be it Michelle Obama, or Arnold Swartzenneneujdfiovofwihrewuiofhwser (mighta missed on the spelling there) has my attention. Fitness and eating right should be like...a national obsession in my opinion. We are materialists..how can we be materialists and uber superficial when over half our population is overweight.

for some here, obama(either one of them) can do no wrong.....just like there were people who believed bush could do no wrong....people like that are just wrong.

Again, get over yourself, If Bush said we should stop kicking kittens for fun, I wouldn't be some sort of bush dittohead for fully agreeing (if it was a problem).

not sure on that "epidemic" of yours...you got any numbers?

We rank number 2 on earth for the most obese nation. 31.8% of our adults are not overweight..they are obese..fat..
Need more sources or can you google it yourself from here?
I can add more..soo much more.
Its a epidemic!

did you really just imply that fat people are a threat to national security? i've seen you write some stupid s**t before, but that's right there at the top of the heap...first they're all ignorant redneck caricatures, now they're a threat to national security....man, you need some DEEP mental help....

David Frum's article on..and this is the title, "Why Obesity is a national security threat"
Yeah, I am as dumb as the special assistant to GWB and the ultra conservative.
So, I guess your as smart then as...who exactly who didn't even know of all this information?
I think my mental health is fine for this world, must be weird when you called someone an idiot basically and realize they have sources from your superiors. heh

but we both know you don't have any issue with federal overreach, or with the federal government exceeding it's constitutional authority....as long as an obama is for it, you're for it....kinda sad, really....

Fed has been messing with the school system for what, like generations now? and suddenly because a potus said stick some better stuff in school lunch, you flip out?
your outrage is faux and bullsnip. your mind has been hijacked by the ultra right wing lunacy machine living in a bubble and devoid of sources, facts, and even any opinion that makes legitiment sense.
Next feedback you give me, I expect sources to back up your drivel..and not just some brietbart spinsters conspiracy crap, but actual legit sources
Until then, you are dismissed as you are no longer relevant.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

her suggesting we trim up doesn't flip me out...

her suggesting that the gov't has to make the hard choices because parents, even educated ones, aren't capable of picking carrot sticks over candy bars ... that SHOULD upset you.

I suppose you could send your kids to school with a bagged lunch

You suppose correctly. That's what we did. A healthy sandwich, carrots or applesauce, a milk in a box. Not hard to do.

btw, one more thing
I disagree with you soo often on like, 85% of topics, but I just wanted to say I do enjoy discussing stuff with you. You (in my opinion) are wrong, but you don't appear to be just giving voice to whatever talking points come down the line without thinking or researching further. I know I must feel the same from your perspective, but yeah, just giving respect to an actual good lively debate partner...few kicks to the shin, but never feel like..disgusted in your views..just opposed.

If only Congress worked like that.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX
If everyone agreed then this would be a very dull echo chamber and no fun at all. Besides, it's through disagreeing with people and having to think about what others say ... that's what makes us learn and grow. So it's all good.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

and it's not an alternate spelling, or net-speak alternative...it is a censored version of a word that is already, by default, censored...so the net result is the same, and i am not violating any rules.

now then, either reply to the content of the post, or leave me be....all this petty crap serves to do, is derail the thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

No, its blind defense because its health behind it. Get a grip.

blind defense of anything, is foolish.

and it's not health, it's someone's OPINION of what health is...there's a big difference.

I have travelled the world..in my travels, and this is back in the early 2000s, Americans were known as the fat people. It was very depressing really, yet sorta true.
Go to france, Italy, England, etc...they have fat people, sure, but not remotely close to the gluttony we have here. We are a disgrace.

yes, there are a LOT of fat people in this country....i'm not arguing that, i'm not even implying that it's even slightly inaccurate.....there's a lot of fat people.

"disgrace" is an opinion, in this case...i mean, yeah, it's gross, and it's not how i'd wanna live, but to call it disgraceful, and shame people for it is awful....that kind of behavior is truly disgraceful.

Anyone addressing that, be it Michelle Obama, or Arnold Swartzenneneujdfiovofwihrewuiofhwser (mighta missed on the spelling there) has my attention. Fitness and eating right should be like...a national obsession in my opinion. We are materialists..how can we be materialists and uber superficial when over half our population is overweight.

lol, i think you are a bastardface, but you made me laugh just now...a star for the unintentional intentional spelling error...

not everyone in america is a materialist, or uber superficial, just like not all of us are fat, or morbidly obese....painting in such broad strokes is really quite inaccurate, and unfair...

Again, get over yourself, If Bush said we should stop kicking kittens for fun, I wouldn't be some sort of bush dittohead for fully agreeing (if it was a problem).

and that's a crap example....because that would be an example of something right, and good, and correct....i'm talking about things that are no good, being mindlessly supported, just because an obama said it was a good idea...i don't like federal overreach, regardless of who's doing it...

We rank number 2 on earth for the most obese nation. 31.8% of our adults are not overweight..they are obese..fat..
Need more sources or can you google it yourself from here?
I can add more..soo much more.
Its a epidemic!

AN epidemic...

plus, really, while grammatically correct, it's just stupid, overly-dramatic, and even somewhat hyperbolic to describe obesity as "an epidemic"....it's just silly...isn't it enough to just say there are a lot of fat people here, and maybe it'd be a good idea for them to run some laps?

David Frum's article on..and this is the title, "Why Obesity is a national security threat"
Yeah, I am as dumb as the special assistant to GWB and the ultra conservative.
So, I guess your as smart then as...who exactly who didn't even know of all this information?
I think my mental health is fine for this world, must be weird when you called someone an idiot basically and realize they have sources from your superiors. heh

who, exactly is my superior?

i don't give a toss what anyone from GWB's train-wreck of an administration has to say about anything....fat people are not a threat to national security -rolleyes-

the fact that you honestly believe they are, seriously makes me question your sanity...

Fed has been messing with the school system for what, like generations now? and suddenly because a potus said stick some better stuff in school lunch, you flip out?

lol, that's grossly oversimplified...

so just because they've been fussing with it for so long, that makes it right? no, it doesn't...

and no, i'm not flipping out, and it's nothing to do with a POTUS saying "stick some better stuff in school lunch", because that would be a recommendation....they signed a goddamn law, to force schools to change their menus, and as you can see from the pictures, they're really not serving up anything decent, and it's obvious by the feedback from students, that the stuff isn't good.....

your outrage is faux and bullsnip.

nope, it's really not...i see federal overreach, i get mad...

your mind has been hijacked by the ultra right wing lunacy machine living in a bubble and devoid of sources, facts, and even any opinion that makes legitiment sense.

wrong again...i honestly, don't really have a through understanding of everything that either the left or right stands for, because i subscribe to neither "club", nor do i believe there is any actual left or right....i believe they're both completely fake, and used as nothing more than tools to divide the people, and keep them at each other's throats.....because if we're too busy fighting each other, like you and i are doing right now, then we're not going after the people we should be going after...

i may have fell for the trap, but so did you.

Next feedback you give me, I expect sources to back up your drivel..and not just some brietbart spinsters conspiracy crap, but actual legit sources Until then, you are dismissed as you are no longer relevant.

lol, who needs to get over themselves?

i'm dismissed? lol...riiiiiight..

anyway, no, i don't have sources, because i haven't asserted anything that requires a source....i'm talking common sense, so, ok, i guess i'm my own source...how about that?

edit on 6-21-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
OK, Check this:
Ex-military leaders: Young adults 'too fat to fight
The article (from CNN) explains that ultimately 1/3rd of the youth (in 2010) were unfit for military service due to being completely out of shape.
they recommended congress pass nutrition laws to whip the youngins back in a slightly acceptable shape

Mission: Readiness urged Congress to pass a new childhood nutrition law to remove school junk food, improve nutritional standards and quality of school meals, and to open access to anti-obesity programs for children.

Because it is a national security threat...if we get attacked and instituted a draft, we would be in rough shape due to a bunch of overweight asthmatic kids barely able to slow jog a quarter mile before needing a rest and maybe nachos.

There are times the fed does overreach...this is not an area of concern...it would be concerning if they were going the opposite way and trying to add more French fries into the school meals of course, or some other fatty foods...but trying to trim up the youth is a positive step.

But then again, I come from a view that the government, whom works for the people, is a force that can be used for purposes of good. Anarchists of course see anything at all the government does as bad and must be stopped.
Thing is though, we have a government today, and will have one tomorrow, so its about them being effective and making the place better for us all, or griping and not helping form it is the only choices we have..I prefer the former.

You are dismissed.

posted on Jun, 22 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

OK, Check this:
Ex-military leaders: Young adults 'too fat to fight
The article (from CNN) explains that ultimately 1/3rd of the youth (in 2010) were unfit for military service due to being completely out of shape.

ok, and? that's still 66.6% of the youth that COULD hack it...so we're probably still talking MILLIONS of people....i'm not seeing any problem here, so far...

and before you start frothing about how there's fat people....yes, there's fat people...they did it to themselves, and it's THEIR responsibility to either deal with the problem, or not deal with it...it's not the role of the federal government to step in and say "you're too fat, now you'll do things our way"

they recommended congress pass nutrition laws to whip the youngins back in a slightly acceptable shape
Because it is a national security threat...if we get attacked and instituted a draft, we would be in rough shape due to a bunch of overweight asthmatic kids barely able to slow jog a quarter mile before needing a rest and maybe nachos.

again, there would still be literally MILLIONS of people they could recruit for combat roles...and if someone isn't physically able to do combat, you stick 'em in a support role....like clerk, or mechanic, or armorer, quartermaster, things like this....then that frees up even more people for combat roles....i'm just saying, it's not as huge a thing as it's made out to be...pardon the pun..

i mean, seriously, it's not as if the government owns us, and our only purpose is to be ready in case of a draft.....that's like saying women are only good for sex, so they better keep themselves ready for us...kind of a dumb way to think..

There are times the fed does overreach...this is not an area of concern...it would be concerning if they were going the opposite way and trying to add more French fries into the school meals of course, or some other fatty foods...but trying to trim up the youth is a positive step.

it absolutely is an area of concern...it's overreach...

when the federal government passes a law they have no constitutional authority to pass, and force people to do things they have no right to force them to do, then they have exceeded their authority, and thus, they have overreached..

simple fact is, the federal government has NO right, or authority to tell people what to eat, or how much to exercise....they can make suggestions, recommendations, tell us the benefits, and go over the pros and cons with us...they can do all that, they can ADVISE the people on matters such as this, but they have NO authority to FORCE us to adhere to that advice.

But then again, I come from a view that the government, whom works for the people, is a force that can be used for purposes of good. Anarchists of course see anything at all the government does as bad and must be stopped.
Thing is though, we have a government today, and will have one tomorrow, so its about them being effective and making the place better for us all, or griping and not helping form it is the only choices we have..I prefer the former.

i agree, governments can do good....so long as the people running them have good in them. our government is not run by people with good in them. it's run by people who are more concerned with being able to keep the war machine stocked with dumb cogs, so they can maintain perpetual war, than they are with keeping this country great....all they care about is endless war, because endless war means endless profits...they only care about themselves, and don't give a s**t how many of us hafta die, so they can get a bigger bonus, or kickback, or campaign contribution.....they only care about enriching themselves, at the expense of others....they live in a fantasy world, where they want for nothing, meanwhile, the rest of us live in the real world, where nothing is quite right...

i'd be insanely happy if the government started doing the right things, and was a real force for good....but i doubt i'll see that in my lifetime...the corruption is rooted too deep, and "good" has no place in washington...

i do really hope you're not trying to imply that i'm an anarchist....couldn't be further from the truth..

You are dismissed.

"Eff" you.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join