It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
a reply to: FlyersFan

The most disturbing part of her statement ... that the government schools are smarter then the parents and that the school will make the 'hard choices' for the kids, because the parents are too stupid. My god ... that's awful.

What is awful is that it is the truth.

So you believe that government is smarter, better at raising a child than the parents.

Are you denying we have an obesity problem in this country? Are you denying that there is an obesity problem in children?

Since when is it THE GOVERNMENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO TEND TO OBESE CHILDREN??????

I don't understand why you think it is bad for Michelle to admit that she previously wasn't doing a good job about something, has educated herself on the topic now, and is trying to share that knowledge with other people. Normal people call that learning and growing. But according to you, since she didn't automatically know it she is some how a bad person for trying to help others.

She's endorsing government oversight over nothing that is the governments business!

This is such a non issue for someone to complain about...honestly...just step back and think about what you are complaining about. You are complaining that the First Lady is trying to help children get in better shape...it's almost satire that people are upset about this.

It's none of her business how any child is raised. Show me where it is the governments responsibility to take care of children!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

So you believe that government is smarter, better at raising a child than the parents.

Apparently it is then it isn't.

See government can't tell people to do what do with their bodies regarding procreation.

But government does get the right to tell people what to do with their bodies with 'healthy diets'.

They lack consistency others call it cognitive dissonance.
edit on 17-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

So a 14 year old girl who is overweight, should get government intervention.

But if the same 14 year old girl gets pregnant, then she's capable of tending to her own body?

Why, Neo!

That, that would be hypocritical!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: neo96

So a 14 year old girl who is overweight, should get government intervention.

But if the same 14 year old girl gets pregnant, then she's capable of tending to her own body?

Why, Neo!

That, that would be hypocritical!

Excatamundo !

As in American politics that is the word of the day, and twice on sunday's.

The depths of hypocrisy in American politics has no limits.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The most disturbing part of her statement ... that the government schools are smarter then the parents and that the school will make the 'hard choices' for the kids, because the parents are too stupid. My god ... that's awful.

What is awful is that it is the truth.

Are you denying we have an obesity problem in this country? Are you denying that there is an obesity problem in children?

I don't understand why you think it is bad for Michelle to admit that she previously wasn't doing a good job about something, has educated herself on the topic now, and is trying to share that knowledge with other people. Normal people call that learning and growing. But according to you, since she didn't automatically know it she is some how a bad person for trying to help others.

This is such a non issue for someone to complain about...honestly...just step back and think about what you are complaining about. You are complaining that the First Lady is trying to help children get in better shape...it's almost satire that people are upset about this.

There's nothing wrong with her motivations but the results haven't been stellar. You can't just shove food in front of a kid and expect them to eat it. It doesn't taste good to them and it doesn't fill them up. The end result is that they're going to go home and eat what their parents let them eat (if they're lucky enough to have that sort of access to food).

People simply aren't going to eat the food they dislike. This isn't necessarily the fault of the child and it's not even the fault of the parent. Go down the grocery aisles and look at what's in food. It's all sugar, fat, and salt. Giving kids food that's way outside of the norm has about as similar effect as a group of adults going into a burger/steak restaurant that a Korean owns and being told the only things available to eat are kimchi and gim.

The First Lady is completely missing the point which is that her lunch menus differ too strongly from typical diets. If it was phased in over time she would have better results. But even then it's a systemic issue with food preparation in America. Even if the kids get a healthy lunch none of the other meals will be.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

And of course, FLOTUS goes on to say that the schools should make the 'hard calls' for children because parents aren't capable. Oh my god ...

And I laughed LOL. What makes this idiot FLOTUS (I like that term, what is that, First Lameass of the United States) believe that everyone else is as stupid or stupider that it is? American women, geez, women everywhere have been bringing up there kids and feeding them and those kids generally grow up. This had got to be one of those, "OMG Madge, you're soaking in it" moments for Mickey Obama.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Oh for frack's sake, of course prestigious schools don't equate to excellent food choices. They don't automatically equate to any superiority in the common sense realm. A fancy degree is not a guarantee to produce a common-sense smart person, and it's rare that someone from that range of ivy league admits it. Some of my friends were educated in those high-end colleges, and are absolutely effing stupid in the kitchen. If they ever stock any food in there in the first place. Honestly, some of the most food smart people I know aren't the PHD people. They're the moms/dads who are able to stay at home and put the effort into their family's diet. How 2 working parents can do that is beyond me, their time is at a premium at the end of the day. I applause those who can carefully plan out their meals and purchases, but a lot of people wing it and just think they're planning healthful meals when it's merely slapped together at the last minute and full of dietary holes.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The only explanation, if true, is that she cared so little about her children she could not find 30 minutes to research food. So taking her at her word .. that's pretty disgusting. How does a mother care so little for her children?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
From this...

if a Princeton and Harvard educated professional woman doesn’t know how to adequately feed her kids, then what are other parents going through who don’t have access to the information I have?

To this.

So this Harvard educated woman ... who also supposedly helped to run a hospital .. couldn't figure out how to feed her own kids and a pediatrician had to stage an intervention to tell her she wasn't doing the mom thing right? Really? Whoever paid for her Harvard education needs to get a refund check in the mail. That's pathetic. How'd she pass her Harvard classes if she can't even figure out how to feed her own children. It's not like she was poor and couldn't afford good food.

More hyperbolic wingnut nonsense. Have fun in your wittle echo chamber.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
This is ignorance speaking.

I"m not ignorant. However, the continued partisan attachment 'certain posters' have to the Obamas ... that IS ignorance.

Haters gotta hate.

Typical BH post. Play the 'hate card'.

The fact is that the guidelines put out by your buddy Michelle for school lunches leaves no room for making lunch filling or good tasting. It's just that simple. And they are severely lacking in calories for students who are athletes. You can spend $$ and make your mega natural kale type salad at home. The schools don't have that option within her guidelines.

Michelle Obama said the schools have to make the hard decisions for people because the people, even those educated at high end schools, are too stupid to be able to make them. By supporting her statement, you support more government intrusion and take over.
edit on 6/18/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

.it's almost satire that people are upset about this.

It's not 'satire' that Michelle Obama said the schools need to be making the hard decisions for children because the parents are too stupid to be able to. According to her line of thought - even high end college educated parents are incapable of giving a child carrot sticks instead of potato chips. Government intrusion and the takeover of raising children from the parents isn't a laughing matter. It's serious.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: kazanoom
More hyperbolic wingnut nonsense. Have fun in your wittle echo chamber.

So you approve of the government and the schools taking over responsibility for children and making the hard choices for them ... that's what Michelle Obama said ... taking that out of the hands of the parents ... more government intrusion and control over private citizens lives. Okay ... got it ... we'll put you down for 'yes on gov't control over families'.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

What seems consistent is that if the feds stay out of it, you get inconsistency with some portions of the country excelling while others fail.

When the fed gets involved and dictates policy, we get mediocrity, at best, and fail across the country at the worst.

Bush had it right: No kid gets ahead. Or was that no kid left behind? Same difference. Govt mandated fail with food choices.

edit on 18-6-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I have said it before.

Three chicken nuggets and five french fries is not enough food, even for a starving Ethiopian.

Any way you slice it Obama's lunch guidlines are way out of touch with the real world.

Know it all's in government need to stick to "government" affairs. My children's health is none of their damn business. And yes they are insured under my health insurance. The tax payer doesnot payfor my kids healthcare

Fn ignorant government, daddy gov knows best.

Btw, I am on break at work at the moment so the government doesn't have to take careofmy kids.
edit on 18-6-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Well you could. All it takes is learning how to skin a deer and line a trap. But, you know, Harvard degrees are more important.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Summing up this thread:
M. Obama: We need to feed children healthier food
Nutjobs: You Marxist! How dare you suggest we feed good food to kids..Imma give muh fat kid a meat pie!

And this is why, outside of fringe websites, the right is all but dismissed (check mainstream (aka, big block voter) sources like twitter trends and such...see what such absurd radicalization has bought you).

When your angry about people suggesting kids should eat healthy, you should at your very core understand you have flown off the edge..now, suggesting its a good thought but its being done poorly..sure. But attacking the concept itself. laughably in your own bubble and ultimately self segregated from the rest of sane society...pity..we need counters to programs in order to improve.
But what is being offered in the dark weird underbelly of the net by neocons is not a counter..its just a practice of sheer madness and hate with no rational purpose.

And seriously ops...do you not know the difference between feeding your kids, and feeding your kids healthy? You even quoted the article, then smugly proclaimed a incorrect statement...not reading your own quotes, or just assuming (probably correctly) that the biters on this thread are too stupid or hateful to understand the difference.

"but I gives my sweetums 4 chicken pies a day...I can feeds him real goodlike..yee haw..take that Obama!,.....wonder why muh porky pie is holding his chest and weezing..must be his azmaah actin up 'gain...durned chemtrails"

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So, Michelle, you're saying with a degree from Harvard, and a Husband who's a politician, also with a degree from Harvard, can't feed your kids healthy food.... get the hell up out of here!
I'm getting sick and tired of what these people are doing in the Whitehouse. This is obviously part of the plan to control food in the school system. Just stop with all these lies. They're not even believable anymore!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Summing up this thread:
M. Obama: We need to feed children healthier food
Nutjobs: You Marxist! How dare you suggest we feed good food to kids..Imma give muh fat kid a meat pie!

Absurd Straw Man.

Summing up this thread:
M. Obama: People are too stupid to raise their kids so the gov't has to do it.
Nutjobs: We agree with Michelle Obama, we are too stupid to know enough to feed kids carrot sticks instead of potato chips.
Smart people: Michelle Obama isn't too bright and she's projecting her own poor life skills onto others; and she's pushing government control on people when it isn't necessary.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
And seriously ops...do you not know the difference between feeding your kids, and feeding your kids healthy?

And seriously SaturnFX ... I absolutely know the difference, and so does most of this country. But apparently Michelle Obama didn't know enough to give her kids carrot sticks instead of candy bars ... so a pediatrician had to stage an intervention. That's pretty bad. A severe lack of common sense.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join