It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIchelle Obama: I Couldn't Feed My Kids Right - Even With A Harvard Degree

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
But go ahead, have your two minutes of hate.

So sad .... partisan folks going straight for the 'hate card'.

A Harvard educated woman should have enough common sense to know what is healthy and what isn't. She was so severely lacking in common sense that the pediatrician staged an intervention. And Michelle Obama can't blame poverty or anything else on this ... she made a ton of money being Mrs. Senator, as well as supposedly running a hospital.

Heck ... if she can't even feed herself or her children correctly .. how the heck can she run a hospital. There are threads here about her hospital job being just a fake position the hospital created when Barack became a senator in order to get more state money sent their way. It wouldn't surprise me if that's true.

Michelle Obama's Hospital 'job' Eliminated

The most disturbing part of her statement ... that the government schools are smarter then the parents and that the school will make the 'hard choices' for the kids, because the parents are too stupid. My god ... that's awful.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
People throw the hate and race cards when they've got nothing left.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Really? Schools 'just' have to make healthy food taste better? that's all? Ever try to make a rice cake taste as good as chocolate cake? Can't be done. It's not possible. And considering the calorie budget that the 'Michelle school lunches' are on, it's absurd to even suggest that it could happen.

There are a lot of parents out there who will absolutely disagree with you. She's wrong in the sense that she felt a Harvard degree should help her make these decisions (even doctors are only required to take a very small course in nutrition). But to say that it can't be done and under the calorie budget is just incorrect.

Not to brag but our daughter eats far better than her mother and I. It's because we never gave her sweets to begin with. She can't wait for her rice cakes and snap peas. Her desert is normally an apple or a banana and she actually asks for these things. When she was in preschool last year, she would educate the teacher on the junk food she was trying to give the kids. I admit that we got lucky and she is very agreeable with these foods but it's not like it can't be done with other kids.

It doesn't take a rocket science or a gourmet chef; it simply takes dedication and a belief that these poisons are actually killing our children. Just look at the average American family and tell me that the first lady doesn't have a decent point.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JokerThe1st
a reply to: FlyersFan

while i am not fan, I have to say i commend the lady's courage in coming out and talking about it publicly, A lot of parents would be to proud to realize when they have made a mistake in there child's upbringing let alone admit it openly.

Not only that but she seems to want to actually help others in re-educating them about healthy eating

good on her i say

Even if she made the whole thing up? I don't believe a word of it.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Her desert is normally an apple or a banana and she actually asks for these things.

Yes and you have to have money for food first off. I never saw a salad until I was 8 years old, never ate any fruit as it didn't grow where we lived and we lived on beans and rice. My youngest sister was given canned milk to drink the rest of us never had milk. Not everyone has $$ for food.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

IDK what you are talking about looks like this old girl been eating and working out lol hahahahaha sorry to troll you bro couldnt help myself

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

That's a good point. And re-enforced by her 'schools making hard calls where parents can't' nonsense.

She's smooth.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
She keeps trying to relate to the masses but it ain't working. No one is buying it. What a phony.

I am seeing the same, and remember she said "only organic" on her table! We don't even get labeling on the GMO's!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WizardVanWizard
a reply to: beezzer

That's a good point. And re-enforced by her 'schools making hard calls where parents can't' nonsense.

She's smooth.

She's trying to endorse the authority of the state over the authority of the parent.

Even a college grad can't be as smart as the authority of the state!

(*barf*)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Her desert is normally an apple or a banana and she actually asks for these things.

Yes and you have to have money for food first off. I never saw a salad until I was 8 years old, never ate any fruit as it didn't grow where we lived and we lived on beans and rice. My youngest sister was given canned milk to drink the rest of us never had milk. Not everyone has $$ for food.

You're kidding, right? I don't know why people have this strange belief that fruit is more expensive than canned food. To be honest, her healthy diet started as a result of us having a tight budget when she was still a toddler. Even now, I can't justify the expense of junkfood. Do you understand? When people tell me they can't afford "health food" but I see their cupboards full of snacks, chips, and frozen food, I have a hard time sympathizing with them.

You buy healthy food instead of garbage, not alongside it.

"Health" food is far cheaper than loading your kids up with junk, especially when you don't have to treat them for disorders down the road and buy expensive medications that counteract a lifetime of garbage being eaten.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

You're kidding, right? I don't know why people have this strange belief that fruit is more expensive than canned food.

You're kidding right? You live in a small world...my Mother had to feed 7 kids and beans and rice lasts sometimes potatoes...fruit does not get in the picture. Junk food lol you do know there are starving people all over the world including the USA right!

I think I made it clear we had no canned food, at least we didn't starve to death as some do.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Okay so tell me how much these items cost where you live, because where I live they are quite expensive:

Fresh brocolli
Fresh cauliflower
Fresh spinach
Leeks
Brussel Sprouts
Red Cabbage

Those are some of the healthiest foods that can be eaten. If you are on a budget though it is hard to eat them due to costs. If you have a family of four for example, fresh spinach cooks down to almost nothing. The same can be said of any of these foods. You could easily spend 10 dollars for enough spinach to feed a family of four for one meal.

(Fruit in my opinion is not good to eat on a regular basis. It has too much sugar and the nutrients can be found easily in low carb/sugar vegetables above)

Now compare that to spaghetti or other carb heavy foods. To say that the cost is comparable means you haven't done any real world shopping or had the responsibility of feeding large numbers of people.

Below are cheap carb heavy foods that make losing weight difficult but are easy to feed large numbers of people:

Pinto Beans(by themselves are fine but are fairly high in carbohydrates)
Rice(Giant bag sells for 15 bucks)
Spaghetti
Noodles
Bread
Potatoes
Corn
Oranges(really cheap where I am)
Apples(really cheap where I am)

edit on 17-6-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Had she actually been to Harvard, perhaps she could have done it, but she never went there. She went to Yale.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

WIKI and the article both say she went to Harvard. WIKI also says she went to Princeton. I don't know who paid for it. But that's where she went.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

WIKI and the article both say she went to Harvard. WIKI also says she went to Princeton. I don't know who paid for it. But that's where she went.

No, that's NOT where she went. Wiki is wrong. She went to Yale.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

ABC News says that she attended Princeton and Harvard. ABC News
I haven't seen anything about her ever attending Yale.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Now compare that to spaghetti or other carb heavy foods. To say that the cost is comparable means you haven't done any real world shopping or had the responsibility of feeding large numbers of people.

We add any veggie on sale to our spaghetti, like broccoli any greens.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The healthy foods can't be made to taste better.

This is ignorance speaking. Michelle admitted that she, too, was ignorant. I can make some GREAT-tasting kale, carrots, squash and spinach. And I mean kids love it. It's about being educated... not about law but about nutrition and food preparation. Healthy foods CAN be made to taste better.

Michelle's doing a good thing by bringing this to the attention of the nation. She has access to any nutritionists she wants and is learning all the time - as we all should.

Haters gotta hate.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Not all vegetables are created equally. The nutrients in green beans compared to spinach is about half. It also has four times the carbohydrates in a cup of green beans vs. spinach.

It's good that you add some vegetables in but spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, red cabbage are nutrient power houses. They are also very expensive where I live. I bought a head of cauliflower(enough for two people) and it was three bucks.

That might not be a big deal for many people but that's just having that as a side. It gets very expensive to eat when you are on a very low budget. For three bucks I could buy enough spaghetti to last a week.

The vegetables I listed above are the ones highest in nutrients and lowest in carbohydrates.

Also, for people trying to control weight or blood sugar, spaghetti is going to be bad regardless of what vegetable is added to it. I really think in many ways it's worse than sugar because it also tends to stick to teeth(adding to decay).

Not a big fan of pasta as you can see.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Not a big fan of pasta as you can see.

We are vegetarian and love pasta!!

www.livescience.com...

The truth is, pasta is and has long been a healthy carbohydrate and a central component of the Mediterranean diet, broadly considered one of the best lifestyle diets for maintaining a healthy weight.

Most pasta is in the "low glycemic index" category

How did pasta get such a bad rap? The primary reason is a simple misconception — that pasta is akin to bread made from wheat. In fact, pasta is made from durum, a wholly different species from bread wheat in that it contains a third fewer chromosomes. Durum is an older species and a hybrid of wild grasses; modern bread wheat is more domesticated.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join