It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: 275 US forces can deploy to Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is notifying Congress that about 275 U.S. military personnel could deploy to Iraq.

Obama says the forces are going to provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. He says the forces are equipped for combat and will remain in Iraq until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed.

The whole country is going to crap they need to figure something out. even if it's 275 people there needs to be some kind of end game.
edit on 16-6-2014 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by othersp
edit on Tue Jun 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS ADDED

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
please delete this post.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Why am I think these troops would be covering the evacuation of any remaining Americans left at the embassy when Bagdad falls? I hope that doesn't happen but it would be wise to be prepared for the possibility.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: sandman441

He should send 300 of his political buddies and have them yell, "For Sparta!" a lot.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

He should send 300 of his political buddies and have them yell, "For Sparta!" a lot.

Cheers - Dave

uuurah

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I sure hope he doesn't lose them.

We should just bug out...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
At about a price tag of 1 trillion, I think we got ripped off on this Iraq deal.

Maybe Iran will finally get to annex Iraq.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

275? Good start and should be able to protect the Embassy for a while, especially with air support.

Anyway, kind of interesting that we have allied ourselves with Iran and, by default, with Russia over Iraq. But, we are totally against the Ruskies when it comes to Ukraine. Maybe at some point we'll be working with the North Koreans over Japanese Whaling!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
Why am I think these troops would be covering the evacuation of any remaining Americans left at the embassy when Bagdad falls? I hope that doesn't happen but it would be wise to be prepared for the possibility.

I hope so and that would make sense but it does make sense which means no politician ever thought of it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Now we need the A10's that they want to make go away

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Try 5 trillion with Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So let do the math, 275, he is sending, this will join the 50 Marines (Mostly embassy protection), and the 160 army, with 100 that will be kept in nearby country, I guess Saudi Arabia.

That will make 485 plus one 100 more.

I can only see nothing but more death of our soldiers with only that many, sorry to say this but unless this forces will be inside the Fortress they call the US embassy is not going to look good, beside that how they are going to provide food and necessities unless the embassy is self sufficient.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

If it's not to cover American evacuations... it makes no sense at all.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yes I know is not for the evacuations, but I wonder if is to keep the militants from taking over the most expensive embassy in Europe, the US Iraq embassy, still like you say it makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just like everything else he does, half-ass it until someone gets killed, then do nothing.

If you are going to send any, send more than 250.

This has disaster written all over it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

That is my sentiment, then again how he is going to keep the troops from getting decimated, I mean, inside the embassy I imagine they stand a better chance, it is a fortress after all.

I still wonder if Obama is in favor of the militants taking over Iraq and that is why he is letting Iraq fall into chaos.

I can only imagine all those families of soldiers that died in Iraq and Afghanistan now looking at what their loves one died for and been angered, how about those that are disable and still feeling the full impact of been in war zone, looking at what is becoming of Iraq now.

Many people thinks that because it was under Bush that US invaded Iraq Obama has no fault of its own, sadly that is not how it works, every president inherit the deeds of the previous presidents by default as congress is not only made of one elected party but both main parties in the nation

This militant take over in Iraq right now should never happen.

edit on 16-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Why send US troops at all.

What happened to all the private military contractors tasked with protecting embassy and vip personnel?

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 16-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I agree completely.

If we send any troops, we need to send plenty, as much as I hate saying it. But we need to send enough so that if we(the soldiers) come under attack, we have adequate firepower to suppress and eliminate the threat.

No pansy rules of engagement that put our troops in harms way.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Well the private security forces are contracted to protect the private company personnel in any given country, the companies contract them directly.

When it comes to the embassies and personnel working for the US government it falls on the Guard duty of the US Marine Corps

Guard duty is a special branch of the Marines and the qualifications are very strict.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
In a previous Obama hating thread (not mine) I made the statement that it was time for Obama to "Be a man" in respect to not leaving any Americans behind in that god forsaken rat hole. This is a good start.

I am not happy to see soldiers sent to Iraq again, not one bit. However sometimes you have to do things you do not want to do. My hope is that he sends enough military support to have a clear run to get out all our people.

Good on Obama for doing something, let's hope it's enough.

To those that have loved ones going to Iraq and to those going, I wish the best. May they ALL come home.
edit on 16-6-2014 by Mamatus because: added content.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join