It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: NYC Firefighter Who Survived 9/11 Killed in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
A New York City firefighter who responded to the World Trade Center attacks has been killed in hostile action in Iraq. Sgt. Christian P. Engeldrum, a member of the Army National Guard, became the first NYC firefighter to die in Iraq when his vehicle was hit by shrapnel. Engeldrum leaves behind a wife and two children.

story.news.yahoo.com NEW YORK - A New York City firefighter who had responded to the World Trade Center attack was killed in Iraq while serving with the Army National Guard, city officials said.

Sgt. Christian P. Engeldrum, 39, is the first FDNY firefighter to die in Iraq since the U.S.-led war began, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. Engeldrum was killed Monday when his vehicle came under attack outside Baghdad.

"I join all New Yorkers in mourning his loss and pray that his family finds comfort in the innumerable ways he touched so many lives," Bloomberg said in a statement.

Another New York firefighter, Daniel J. Swift, 24, was riding in the same vehicle and suffered shrapnel wounds, Bloomberg said. Swift was in Germany for treatment and was expected to recover.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article mentions that Engeldrum died doing what he loved according to those who worked with him. As a NYC firefighter he spent months digging through the wreckage at ground zero. While we have suffered many casualties in Iraq, each with his or her own story to tell, one cannot but reflect on the tragedy of surviving 911 only to fall in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
How does this happen? Is this happening? What the hell is going on?

Everytime I read a story like this I want to put my fist through the computer monitor. This is not supposed to happen to us.

How can a lone vehicle come under attack outside of Baghdad? We are prepared for events like this. Why do we keep getting killed?

We are the U.S.A. This was should have been over by now. Bagdhdad should have a McDonalds with golden arches revolving in the air. Why havent we dominated this war? Why are our US soldiers still getting killed?

join