It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government arresting people for anti Obama facebook post.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Goldfish memory..lmao Arrested Bush dissenters look to the courts
usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-07-23-bush-protester s_x.htm
edit on 6/16/2014 by fenson76 because: (no reason given)

Colorado man arrested for anti-war comments to Cheney
www.nytimes.com...

Secret White House Manual: How to Stop Anti-Bush T-Shirts
abcnews.go.com...
There are lots of these stories form ALL presidents.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

haha I totally agree. Lets test the OPs subject theory, "Obama will never shoot less than a 100 on a pro course". And I'm not talking goofy golf. That, my friend, should about do it!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Government arresting people for anti Obama facebook post.

Gasp!

I been a baaaad boy.

Gonna sit by the door and wait for the gestapo to show up.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rekrul
obama is something much worse than the anti christ.

YAH...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The title of the thread says 'people' but we're only hearing about one person.

Given the millions of people on Facebook posting anti-Obama/anti-government things I'd expect to hear about this a lot more. We didn't hear about it from the couple in Las Vegas, I don't hear it from the dozens of people in my friends and family who do it.

Sensationalism, that's what this is.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The only people who get arrested are those that make threats against his life.

Most mentally balanced Obama critics know that line exists, and NEVER cross it.

Besides that guy ain't worth going to jail over.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
He wasn't just exercising his first amendments rights, he was making threatening remarks.
The government can, and always has, arrested people for making threats against officials, and they most assuredly can “baker act” folks to evaluate if they are a danger to themselves or others.

There is nothing new here, the SS has been doing this kind of stuff for years. I remember some guy getting arrested for making threatening remarks back during the Reagan Administration.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Having read the article, the following can be stated:

I for one would like to see the remarks that this man made that caused law enforcement to get involved. I did go to facebook, and saw nothing that would indicate anything that would dictate such. Without the first set of posting, who knows what all was stated.

However, it is strange that they did an emergency detainment on this man, and from all accounts his rights were upheld every step of the way. An emergency detainment is used when they intend to put a person in a psychiatric facility for observation and is held for a period of time. A person then is entitled to a lawyer and a trial in front of a judge, to determine if the person is competent and a threat to either himself or the local community. If he shows that he is not a threat, the judge usually will order a person’s release, as there was no charges, then he was set free.

Before we jump to conclusion, we should take a look at the original postings. But if it is true, and this is indeed where the government came in and tried to stop his freedom of speech, then the government should be reminded of one thing:

Dissent is not disloyalty, and it is always better to allow for people to speak in their discontent. They should be more worried, when the talking and rhetoric stops, cause then that means the population is on the move. And maybe the public needs to go back to do things the old school and start typing on an old fashion typewriter and sending out fliers, that will really make the government freak out, and be caught off guard.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I haven't read this fully yet but I really hope it's not as bad as it sounds on first glance.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Of course this happened two years ago, to one person, Branden Raub, and he got out after a few days and sued everyone. Yet the headline is:

"GOVERNMENT ARRESTING PEOPLE FOR ANTI-OBAMA FACEBOOK POSTS"

The US Government is actively seeking those who criticize government, specifically Barack Obama, and arresting them without charging them. They are remanded to mental health institutions where they are given "training" on how to view the world.

Most of the victims of the government's kidnapping scheme are veterans.

Is that what really happened? Was he hauled off for re-education? Or was he involuntarily committed under state law, by a Judge, for psychological evaluation, after being interviewed by a psychologist? Well I guess if there is 1 victim, that would justify the "most of the victims" statement. Anyone care to point to another in in two years since this happened?

Here is a news story by RT (Russian Times) about Brandon Raub. Apparently the corporate media in the United States won't tell his story:

Funny, this was covered in several corporately owned media outlets TWO YEARS AGO WHEN IT HAPPENED. I guess the reason it's not on the nightly news today is well.. because it happened two years ago? From the non-existent corporately owned media sources:

Col. Thierry Dupuis, the county police chief, said Raub was taken into custody upon the recommendation of mental health crisis intervention workers. He said the action was taken under the state's emergency custody statute, which allows a magistrate to order the civil detention and psychiatric evaluation of a person who is considered potentially dangerous.

source - HuffPost

On August 20 a judge ordered Raub to spend up to 30 days in a psych ward, but on August 23 a circuit court judge dismissed the government’s case and ordered Raub's immediate release because the petition for his detainment was “so devoid of any factual allegations that it could not be reasonably expected to give rise to a case or controversy.”

source - NBC

That's one hell of a re-education program they're running when you get a day in court before a different judge who orders your release. So this is what happened in a nutshell:

He posted some somewhat concerning things on facebook:

"The Revolution will come for me. Men will be at my door soon to pick me up to lead it.
" on August 14

August 12 said: "There has been an overwhelming amount of evil enacted and planned against you, your children, and your countrymen. It is great in scope. Your government evil. It is as simple as that. And the calvary is coming."

source - Business Insider

Here's the lyric he posted:

Brandon J. Raub, 26, has been in custody since FBI, Secret Service agents and police in Virginia's Chesterfield County questioned him Thursday evening about what they said were ominous posts talking about a coming revolution. In one message earlier this month according to authorities, Raub wrote: "Sharpen my axe; I'm here to sever heads."
source - HuffPost

If you rant enough and toss in enough violent, purposefully threatening language, you can be assured that the Secret Service, FBI, etc will probably stop by to ask questions. This isn't anything new. If this part is true, he's just an idiot:

FBI agents assigned to a terrorism task force acknowledged Raub did not threaten a specific person in speaking with the agents but also refused “to represent that he had no intention of carrying out the threats he had posted on Facebook.
“Asked if he planned to act on his posted threats,” Raub responded “wait and see” and “you’ll find out shortly,” according to court documents.
Raub was taken into custody and mentally assessed by Campbell and eventually ordered to be transported to Salem for a 30-day involuntary commitment and treatment.

source - Richmond Times Dispatch

Anyway, I thought I'd share some details since the OP's "source" was completely bereft of any information.

EDIT:

This bit is significant too:

"We received quite a few complaints about what were perceived as threatening posts," she said. "Given the circumstances with the things that have gone on in the country with some of these mass shootings, it would be horrible for law enforcement not to pay attention to complaints."
(from the above HuffPost source).
edit on 2014-6-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't agree with our government on many issues...BUT I would never ever threaten a government official.
I do it by voting and work with local politicians, thats the best I can do. And pray these idiots come to their senses .

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Remember folks. This is how it works....

It doesn't have to go from 0 to 100% overnight.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I mean I am no saying that these people are just making complains, but sometimes the complains turn into solicitation of acts of violence.

I am begenning to think that this may be a rash.
When US Citizens are Raped,Stolen from and Taken Advantage of
on a Daily Basis.
Things could get out of hand.
FREEDOM i would like to know your
definition of that word.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Here is the original thread from back in 2012:
BREAKING: Former Marine Brandon Raub Just been "Taken" by Feds for Facebook Posts?

And here is the FB post which got him sent to a mental ward:

America has lost itself. We have lost who we truly are. This is the land of the free and the home of the brave. This is the land of Thomas Jefferson. This is the land of Benjamin Franklin. This is the land of Fredrick Douglas. This is the land of Smedley Butler. This is the land John F. Kennedy. This is the land of Martin Luther King. This is the land where the cowboy wins. This is the land where you can start from the bottom and get to the top. This is the land where regardless of you race and ethnicity you can suceed and build a better life for you and your family. This is the land where every race coexists peacefully. This is the land where justice wins. This is the land where liberty dwells. This is the land where freedom reigns. This is the land where we help the poor, and people help eachother. This is land where people beat racism.

The federal reserve is wrong. They have designed a system based off of gread and fear. They designed a system to crush the middle class between taxes and inflation. This is wrong, and it is unjust. It is wrong.

We have allowed ourselves to be devieced and seduced by the powers of the printing press. It is not a good system. It discourages saving: the foundation for all stable economic activity. The federal reserve is artificially manipulating interests rates and creating phony economic data. This thing has decieved our entire nation.

They created it 1913. They also created the income tax in 1913. They encouraged the growth of debt so they can tax you on it. There is interest on the debt. Your government is in bed with these people. They want to enslave you to the government so that they can control every aspect of your lives. It is an empire based on lies. They operate of greed and fear.

There is a better way. It's called freedom. Freedom is called a lot of things. But there is a true meaning. It means very simply that you have the right to do whatever you want as long as you are not infringing on the feedoms of other people.

I firmly believe that God set America apart from the other nations of the world. He saved a place where people could come to to escape bad systems of goverment. This system we have created works. It really works.

There is evil going on all around the world. The United States was meant to lead the charge against injustice, but through our example not our force. People do not respond to having liberty and freedom forced on them.

Men and Women follow courage. They follow leadership, and courage. Our example has paved the way for people all around the world to change their forms of goverment.

Force is not the way because liberty is a powerful concept. The idea that men can govern themselves is the basis for every just form of government.

We can govern ourselves. We do not need to be governed by men who want to install a one world banking system. These men have machine hearts. Machine and unnatural hearts. They have blocked out the possibility of a better world. They fear human progress. They have monopolies on everything.

This life can be free and beautiful. There are enough resources on this earth to support the world's population. There are enough resources on this earth to feed everyone. There is enough land for everyone to own their own land and farm, and produce their own energy.

These people have been hiding technology. There are ways to create power easily. There is technology that can provide free cheap power for everyone. There are farming techniques that can feed the entire world.

They are controlling your media. They have dumbed you down through your school systems. They have systematically dismantled the constitution. It is in rags.

The bill of rights is being systematically dismantled. Men have spilled their blood for those rights.

Your sons and daughters, your brothers and sisters, and Americas best young men and women are loosing their limbs. They are loosing their lives. They are loosing the hearts. They do not know why they are fighting. They are killing. And they do not know why.

They have done some extroadinary acts. Their deeds go before them. But these wars are lies. They are lies. They decieved our entire nation with terrorism. They have gotten us to hand them our rights. Our Rights! Men died for those rights!

September Eleventh was an inside job. They blew up a third building in broad daylight. Building 7.

Your leaders betrayed you.

You elected an aristocracy. They are beholden to special interests. They were brainwashed through the Council on Foreign Relations. Your leaders are planning to merge the United States into a one world banking system. They want to put computer chips in you.

These men have evil hearts. They have tricked you into supporting corporate facism. We gave them the keys to our country. We were not vigilant with our republic.

There is hope. BUT WE MUST TAKE OUR REPUBLIC BACK.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
BREAKING: Former Marine Brandon Raub Just been "Taken" by Feds for Facebook Posts?

Hmmm. I read most of that and I didn't see anything that would obviously bring the government down on him except for the very last line. All the rest of it could be perceived as the rantings of a lunatic if you don't believe any of it but it's nothing that people don't say every single day online.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5
He wasn't just exercising his first amendments rights, he was making threatening remarks.
The government can, and always has, arrested people for making threats against officials, and they most assuredly can “baker act” folks to evaluate if they are a danger to themselves or others.

Why are you so sure he made threatening remarks? I remember reading through his FB page back when this story first broke and I could find no threatening remarks at all. If he did make threatening remarks they wouldn't have let him go so easily and they probably would have charged him with something. When the story first broke it was established that the FB post which got him detained was the quote I included in my last post. I don't know about you but I don't see anything threatening in that post, and I actually agree with the majority of it. But apparently some people thought he was insane for writing such things.
edit on 16/6/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Hmmm. I read most of that and I didn't see anything that would obviously bring the government down on him except for the very last line. All the rest of it could be perceived as the rantings of a lunatic if you don't believe any of it but it's nothing that people don't say every single day online.

I think they targeted him because he was a veteran and they were worried he might go on some sort of revolutionary killing spree or something. And also because he posted on FB where his name and picture were plastered right next to his rants, so it wasn't hard for them to ID him and track him down, unlike ATS posts for example.
edit on 16/6/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That website doesn't seem credible in the slightest. On the off chance that they're right: silencing dissent isn't something that a Good President does. They do a good enough job to the point where dissent isn't much of a problem. Perhaps Obama should try the latter.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm not on FB anymore, but back when I was, I had some pretty vocal anarchists on mine burning ears off with their opinions, and equally char-worthy comments with the right-wingers. The difference between them not being arrested, and other vocal people being arrested seems pretty clear to me: Never. Directly. Threaten. Lives. In other words, not once did I see anyone directly or explicitly call for anyone's cessation of existence or threaten to do so. Had they done so, yeah, I have no doubt they'd have had a friendly government knock at the door to be carted off somewhere.

Sometimes it's just genuine frustration that goes full hilt with extreme comments, but little real harm wished. We see that a lot on ATS, we know that for the most part, it's just venting. Sometimes, someone really does have a few loose bolts and is absolutely serious. Point is, threatening any officials on any authoritative level is a baaaad idea to toy with.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
I just shared on FB and talked some smack about Obama. Now what?

1st Amendment!!!

Yeah. I'm "friends" with Obama on facebook. I try to post an anti-Obama reply to as many of his status updates as possible.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join