It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will the world remember America?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: simsumre

Unfortunately that is true. Heck, I was one of them for part of my life. States like Missouri make it easy and it should be removed from the ballot entirely for voting a straight party ticket on one selection. That pretty well kills the system right there for everyone who chooses the easy one without even bothering to look down the list, let alone ever know a thing about half of who they vote for.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

originally posted by: simsumre

And you'd be right, but what is the average American going to do when the Government militarizes the polices force by handing them tanks? Every precaution is being taken to boil the toad, as suggested above, until it's backed into a corner. The people orchestrating this know their history.

Yes, "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

Roman Empire = American Empire.

We all know what happened to the Romans and it is almost a carbon copy of what is happening now in the US, but on a much larger scale meaning the fall is going to be momentous.

It's the same empire, it never died. From the western fall to Byzantine to the Papacy to the Holy Roman Empire to the English Empire to America. It's never died.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

This is incorrect. We don't have the Goths to the north, or the huns to the east. We don't have an empire that stretches beyond our ability to manage.

While there may be some analogies that can be made....the fall of Rome has very little to do with the state of America. We are going to fail in new and novel ways.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

It's the same empire, it never died. From the western fall to Byzantine to the Papacy to the Holy Roman Empire to the English Empire to America. It's never died.

If you haven't read this thread you really should, it's quite fascinating:

All Roads Lead to Rome

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

This is incorrect. We don't have the Goths to the north, or the huns to the east. We don't have an empire that stretches beyond our ability to manage.

While there may be some analogies that can be made....the fall of Rome has very little to do with the state of America. We are going to fail in new and novel ways.

The Roman Empire never fell. Rome fell, Constantinople didn't until much later. Holy Roman, Papacy, English. The Empire is alive and well in America.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

If you haven't read this thread you really should, it's quite fascinating:

All Roads Lead to Rome

I have and it is inspiring.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Yes, the Goths were the actual physical sackers and destroyers of Rome, but the sickness of corruption that had endured for several centuries prior to the collapse is what is noted as being the primary cause of the fall of the Roman Empire. It is this corruption that I speak of, not the physical sacking of Rome that happened as a direct result.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Our corruption is shared by a majority of the world.

This is like a Hydra, essentially. Bring the end of the US, and you will just have 7 more sprout up in its place.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I am very familiar with the whole "All roads lead to rome" idea.

But Rome fell. The people with the money behind rome...they moved on to another nation to leech off of.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I agree with you as I think many people reckoned that the Americans had got it right in the 1950's except for the racial problems but now you have a half black President, so although where you live, if you are honest about it, there will always be racial attitude problems - its more about attitude and trying to keep one's traditions above everyone else's, not just ooh it a whatever coming down the street. Good morning etc and a smile usually gets over that so its not really race. There are some white I would prefer to snarl at than smile despite valuing good manners.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
America is the western hemisphere

if we are speaking of the 13 colonies that became independent & had great expectations of being the 'new order for the Ages'... well that altruistic model turned cancerous to itself (Fed) and a cancer (USA+Corp.) to the world...

...the nations watched as the once mighty harlot was destroyed in an hour
edit on th30140291850316352014 by St Udio because: inserts

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Nationalism aside, if there's one thing I cannot stand is people hating on the people of America.
We have been disenfranchised from out government since 1913.
"Then protest, you stupid Americans!" We do protest, all the time.
"Then vote, you stupid Americans!" We do vote, our voting is rigged. Coca Cola vs. Pepsi, when everyone starves for water.

I am sick of hearing about how Americans are these isolated fat idiots who know nothing of the rest of the world. People who talk like that sounds absolutely no different than the "trailer trash redneck" they seem to know so much about.

Our government acts like the Roman government perhaps, but don't drag the great people of my country into the mess.
We have always succeeded in spite of our government, not because of it. Same goes for you and your country, be it the UK or anywhere else.

And need I remind you, the U.S is merely the right arm of the war machine. It's a little thing called the United Nations, you may want to look into it.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkingCap

And need I remind you, the U.S is merely the right arm of the war machine. It's a little thing called the United Nations, you may want to look into it.

I seem to recall the U.S. going it alone and telling lies to draw support for it's invasion of Iraq against the wishes of the United Nations.

The U.S. does anything it damn well wants by bullying and crushing those who say no, and it is for this that the world's view of America has degraded so much.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The good things i remember about america .. some great music in the 60's early 70's .. being able to ride motorcycle cross country without a helmet back then .. the people ..

As to how the world will view america .. only time will tell ..

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

The US wasn't alone for Iraq by any means. It didn't have the 1990 coalition, or anything close..but alone? Not so much. In fact the UK had their own sector of Iraq for most of the war.

A Vision for Iraq and the Iraqi People
(Statement of the United States, Britain, Spain, Portugal at Azores meeting)

FYI This PDF at FAS gives a very detailed break down with dates and quoted words given for both the 1990 war history and 2002/2003 U.N. actions/discussions/declarations leading up to the date of invasion. In fact, the end of it closes with closing down pretty much all Iraqi related programs and aid due to imminent hostilities.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

the real coalition:

Spain support cost them the worst terrorist attack in its history

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I didn't say it was a good idea.

In hindsight, those fools had no more evidence than we'd actually seen publicly. I believe all of us who backed it (and I sure did at the time) thought there was a lot more behind the public show put on. Saddam DID have those weapons in the past. A whole village of Kurds died to prove it, as did formations of Iranian troops...most wishing they died but never getting that mercy from it. He claimed tons of it by requirement after the 1991 war. So the fact they HAD been there is history plainly written.

it turns out of course.. We'll be remembered in THIS event for having said 'damn the torpedoes' and charged full into a war there was only the most tangential basis of evidence to support. God knows..if they'd been even a little honest? The nation would have been against it to a person ...but heck, all I can say is...I won't be taken like that again. Ever.

(I outright reject some things today, against popular opinion at times, based on that determination to NEVER take Faith in men's mere words again, no matter what man says it, on something so important)

Maybe..hopefully..that'll be another legacy of these wars, in terms of the thread topic. A cynicism in the public that never allows a thing like this to just be taken at face value with a rubber stamp and nod like idiots again. BOTH sides of Congress included in that, as there were votes from both sides to make this happen as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
--
honestly, your extreme anti west rhetoric tells me you care nothing for America or its citizens.

This is just a convenient thread to woefully bash America.

You provide nothing in a way that would inspire change and continue to ramble on our destruction, borderlining mass shootings to boot.
--
America in my opinion will be known in history as a formidable military power, BUT, bogged down by politics and ever increasing police state.
I believe that there is plenty of good left in America.
As an American citizen an US Soldier, I do my best to help people in their endeavors, I'm not rich, but I donate what I can, I spread good ideas and the only thing I ask in return is help other people.
All nations will go through periods of rises and falls. Its how we manage those hi's an low's that will ultimately define us.

I don't have the answer to make a perfect nation, but I sure damn well can help it be better by doing whats right and lending a hand.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
To paraphrase Harvey Dent:

"The US will either die a hero or live long enough to see itself become the villain."

And that sums it up IMO. The U.S did more than it's fair share in WWII and helped save quite a few nations and we are grateful for it, but now It will always be remembered for the the folly that was the 'war on terrorism.'

If 'murica was the tripper happy nation that everybody thinks it to be, I'd be writing this post on Papyrus. If Curtis Le Mey got his way he would've nuked the Soviets, which would've ended in Mutually Assured Destruction and the deaths of billions. We should be thankful that The U.S brass had cool heads on their shoulders during that time, I'd hate to think what would happen if the Bush Admin was in charge during the cold war.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
On the whole, my answer as an American is: Who cares.

I love my country, with all it's flaws. It's my home and politics aside, there is a lot about my country for me to love and like.

I lived all around the world as a kid and a teen, and one thing that I found common with just about anyone around the world: Ask them about their country, history, culture and what they like, and you'll have made a best friend.

I lost count of the amount of times when living in Asia and Europe, that just by asking questions about their culture, food, what places they recommended to visit, that they would be very excited and had a lot to say, would show you, or even take you out to what they felt were their best places for you to see, eat, drink, and just simply have a good time.

I found every country I lived in and visited (including post growing up while in the Navy) facinating, interesting and enjoyed most of it.

I always took the time to talk to people and I was always respectful of their culture, religions and way of life.

Governments do not make a country. They make geopolitical boundries.

It's the PEOPLE that make a country.

Someone from another country comes here, I'll show them a good time, cook them good food (no...not MacDonalds), show them the beauty of my area, show them other places they can go see in my country to enjoy, and warn them of places to avoid so they don't get ripped off.

Why? Why because I love where I live, and I want them to enjoy themselves too. It is also the right thing to do, especially since people of other countries I lived in and visited did the same for me. It was obvious that they loved their country too........and quite obvious that they didn't care too much for some of the things their governments do also (ask me about Italians burning tires across roads to block them in protests about raised taxes).

I'd rather someone remember my country for it's beauty, hospitality and all that there is here to see. Not because of what it's doing on a geopolitical scale.

I loved England while I was there. Didn't really think about their government, or the fact that they had a mighty empire that spanned the world during most of the 1800's into WW2. I thought Spain was a cool place.....didn't really think about what they did to Central and South America a long time ago.
Germany was a pretty interesting place to visit (make that West Germany when I was there). I'd heard the people there were all stuck up, acted stiff....and you know, there was the whole Nazi thing. But instead what I found were very friendly people who took me around to see some very beautiful places, fed me so well I thought I was going to burst, and showed me the RIGHT way to enjoy beer!

People outside of my country don't like it? I don't really care.....except that I hope it's my government they are talking about, and not me, nor my country itself, because again:

It's the people that make the country.......not the government.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join