It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will the world remember America?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Actually I remember a US Marine I spoke too. Great guy. Friend of my mates dad who was in the black watch.

He said in battle we would rather have another US Marine unit on his flank but failing that he would take a UK unit over a US army.
edit on 19-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

What a complete joke of a reply.

Firstly, for something to "grow", it need roots.
Britain put the roots into the ground that The U.S. grew from. That you cannot deny. What is the name of the language that you use?

Secondly Britain industrialized he world. We gave the world, the train, the jet engine, the steam engine, factories, agricultural technology in fact to much to mention so just read the list:-

en.wikipedia.org...

Your following comment i found laughable:-

" Our record of technology advancements and worldwide distribution is something no one has matched. "

Yer right lol. Britain has not only matched it but bettered it.

The U.S. didn't give the world the telephone, the light bulb ,the sewing machine or capitalism. Those all came from Britain or The British.

The Telephone

en.wikipedia.org...

The Light Bulb

en.wikipedia.org...

The Sewing Machine

en.wikipedia.org...

Capitalism

en.wikipedia.org...

The metal plough? Where do you think the steel came from to make it with?

The art of giving? The U.S. comes 21st

www.statisticbrain.com...

edit on 19-6-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yeah, I speak to Americans all the time. They are generally good people, but the majority are incredibly ignorant of what goes on in the world beyond US soil, which isn't necessarily their fault as they aren't shown any world events on the news unless it's propaganda for support of the next country they'll be carpet bombing.

And the arrogance of claiming to be the greatest country in the world doesn't even need explaining. It's pure arrogance and nothing else.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless

And the arrogance of claiming to be the greatest country in the world doesn't even need explaining. It's pure arrogance and nothing else.

Well it depends what you mean by "great".

They are undeniable the military super power of the world.

As for morals and ethics? That may be a different matter......

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
The greatest aspect of our country is a man can have property, wealth, and stature despite his position in life at birth.

sorry to interrupt you propaganda speech again but.....

Hate to break it to you again.....but you can have this in the UK, New Zealand, Australia and most the EU......

Just ask Alan sugar or Richard Brandson.....

USA has produced the highest living standards o

Again wrong!

Sure USA is one of the top country's. But its not THE top, there are a few country s above you guys and the UK is not too far behind.

As for this BS

a To think that we owe the Crown for our existence insults the good men and women that lost their lives throwing you out of this emerging country during the revolution.

You and your country men have done a good job of insulting the British life's who died alongside Americans in supporting it in WW2//Afghanistan and Iraq so don't you DARE whine we are insulting yours!

and eh it pretty evident USA owes it existence to the UK and Europe (maybe not the crown) seeing as THAT'S WERE YOUR FOREFATHERS CAME FROM! NEW FLASH YOUR NOT NATIVE AMERICANS!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The world will remember the US by its legacy of "reality" tv programs..... LOL

Fake fake fake.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: thesaneone
Nothing would make me happier then having America isolate herself from the rest of the world just so we can sit back and listen to the rest of the world cry and beg for our help and when we ignore the cries for help then we can read on ATS how mean we are for not helping.

Point is no matter what we do or don't do other countries will always hate America and for no other reason then jealousy.

You're probably right.....

Anyone who thinks Churchill would have asked for help if he didn't need it is a fool. He was one of the strongest leaders in history, he liked to say he wooed Roosevelt into the war. Churchill was an intellectual giant compared to Roosevelt. He would have never asked if he didn't need it. How he and Roosevelt actually got us into the war is yet another conspiracy.

Well why did Bush ask Blair to back the USA up in Iraq and Afghanistan?
USA wasn't losing but help just made things easier.
By 1941 Britain had beaten back the Germans. USA was just needed for sorting the rest of Europe out.

I guess you should have put on your own D-Day since you didn't need us, and Churchill was seriously confused in 1941 signing the Atlantic Charter with Roosevelt, since you had beaten back the Germans. In 1941 you were fighting the Nazi's in Africa, how was that going for you?

Do you actually know anything about WWII, or do you make it up as you go along.

"In 1941 you were fighting the Nazi's in Africa, how was that going for you? "

Do you mean the same North Africa where Hitler suffered his first major defeat and Rommel and his Afrika Corps where driven out of Africa in 1942?
The Americans didn't get involved in that little skirmish.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I think he/she get there history from Hollywood and Mel Gibbson

O and before our Unlearned friend here mentions operation touch. that happened in 11 November 1942. The British/commwealth (see im not a arse and will mention our allies like Canada and Australia) defeated the Germans/Italians at el Alamein and had the axis on the run in October that year before the Americans landed.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Oh I agree. The US is undeniably the world's military superpower, but at what cost did that superiority come? At the cost of other nations around the world, and at the cost of the tax paying American people.

I would define a great country by the way it treats its citizens, and it seems to me that American citizens are rapidly becoming the enemy of the US government.

Great countries also don't spy on their allies

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: SensiblyReckless

Well a sI said I think it depends on what ones defines as "great".

The 3rd Reich could be considered "great" by some.

It depends on the person and there perspective. Many view "might as right" and wont see beyond USA military power.

I personally view greatness in a different way and respect places like Norway, New Zealand and Canada as great.

I have turned down 3 US jobs on a H-1B work Visa. But currently looking at moving to Canada or Norway.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I'm just curious.... For the degree you speak of knowing the U.S. to know it's faults like someone who was born and raised here....how often have you been inside the continental United States? Just..occasionally..some things you say strike me as 'What version of America could THAT have come from??'.

I see perfect logic in some of that for what the internet portrays by "ugly american" attitudes and plain ignorance worn like a badge of honor or something...but the people I see online have little in common but the ability to speak and walk upright with those I know in real America, outside the front door and actually interacting with on a daily basis. Cops to Criminals to Politicians (or whatever difference those three have at times..lol), we have it all.

The U.S. has the very worst mankind has produced in it's history for evil and depravity ...as do many nations.

The U.S. also has some of the very best and more giving that mankind has produced for big hearts and willingness to sacrifice for the benefit of others ...as do many others.

I'm afraid we don't have a corner on the scumbag or saint market. Like life....it's all a mix and a little of everything, IMO.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

New york, Chicago and Florida a few times mix of holidays and business. (Bad experiences in New york)

Im not saying the USA isnt a great place to live mate. It looks like you have a good standard of living.

As for Americans? 90% I have meet are great people, and no different really from us Brits.

Just not for me personal to want to live there.

There are a number of what id call great places to live, I think the USA is in that list. It just comes down to the person.

By the way if you notice im not holding the UK up as a place I want to live
Cant accuse me of bias!

If I made a list of places I want to live the USA may be if Im honest 6 or 7. That's not a insult. Thats just me.

In fact the reasons I never took the work Visa was cause they were in California and Chicago! If they were in Colorado I may have been tempted

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

To maybe give a better idea of why some of us non Americans may be a bit defensive is this:

Imagine we both own nice homes:
My home may be a bit bigger. But still we both share the same modern style of life.

You invite me round and then I laugh at your house for being smaller and call you a lesser man. Im guessing you will get a bit upset?

Especially when you had a bigger house and some German and Japanese vandal burned it down

It the same here. Both UK/USA share the same good standard of modern living. We both work hard. But America is bigger. Some American on this thread (Not you I might add) are doing the equivalent of the example above.

Sure UK and other modern western country's may be smaller than the USA but that does not make us lazy or cowardly or lesser beings. It how geography fell when establishing borders.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Probably like this

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

So true lol.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'd just like to add that having the world's largest and most powerful military is not great. Not when you have a bunch of sociopaths in control of it.

Americans need to see the bigger picture and realise that their oh so powerful military is one of the main reasons why the world has such a negative view of them.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SensiblyReckless
I'd just like to add that having the world's largest and most powerful military is not great. N

Plus one thing Britain learned when it was number 1.

If your on top, those underneath you want to topple you.

And topple you will eventually.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Absolutely. America's empire is already starting to crumble.

The Chinese and the Russians are a formidable force, they ain't the Taliban running round with nothing but rusty AK-47s. If America isn't careful these nations will bring their empire down once and for all.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I think we'll disagree in this in terms of how some are taking it on the thread.

The thread seemed to be about what America might be remembered for. Some of that will be negative, no question. Like any major power in the world today, we'd done bad stuff ...and we happen to have technology beyond the norm by huge margins, so our case is amplified by scale and ability through electronic assistance, which not all have.

On the other hand. I don't mind noting I can relate to Americans that are fed up with hearing America get blamed for everything but the crucifixion of Christ himself, and I'm sure that given enough time, some cause and effect could be thought up by someone for that too.

America will be remembered as much for it's very good and very helpful deeds across the world, as it will be for it's very dark and destructive ones. Which side someone was on or a nation was to record the events will likely have FAR more to do with which way folks see or read about it than any truth to the ratio of what has actually happened in real terms.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I actually agree with you.

I said something similar a few pages back.

I think it will go down in book similar to the British empire. Done some real crappy things but also done some amazing and beneficial things.

Its certainly is no 3rd Reich or USSR, at least yet.

anyway what ever happens it will be a some very interesting history pages

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21 >>

join