It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Whole Life On A Tibetan Scroll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this...

A few years ago I saw a program on Tibet. It might have been National Geographic, not sure. The person on the show went inside a small hut high in the mountains. Inside were shelves filled with old scrolls and an old man. The old man explained that the scrolls had been written a long time ago by the resident of the hut. Each scroll was sorted by a date. On the date of a scroll someone would visit the hut. The old man would remove the scroll and read it to the visitor. The scroll would contain the visitors name and complete life history.

That is all the details I can remember. I have done many searches online with nothing to show for it. Has anyone else heard of this? I sure hope this place has not become a casualty of the Chinese occupation.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Joki42

I heard it. I didn't believe it though. What makes you think it was something more than a story? What part of that story sounds real to you? You do know that tibetans can con people too right?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I seem to recall this too. Think it was a documentary but can't remember the name of it. Will try and have a hunt.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I don't believe the OP stated their opinion on it's authenticity. They are just searching for a show they remember. If you remember seeing the show perhaps you could help them out and link it. At that point maybe we could debate whether it is a con or the real deal.
a reply to: Woodcarver

Sorry OP I don't know what it is, but it sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

And why would this be up for debate unless someone believed it? There are thousands of stories from that region. All of which are more magical than the next one. It is the land of spiritual cons.

I heard of a princess who kissed a frog and that frog magically transformed into a handsome prince. I'm pretty sure it's just a story though. When a story includes magical scrolls or magical kisses, you can be pretty sure they are fibbing at least about the magic part. I can't find the actual story, but it was only related as an antic dote with no actual proof demonstrated.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Ya know what, I will leave defending the OP's actions to the OP. (Perhaps he is writing a paper on Tibetan legends, I have no idea.)

I will however say something about our ATS. We are a group of multi-cultural, like minded, diversely aged group people here. I like to think of us all as friends and family. If you are driving down the street and a movie quote pops into your head, would you not turn to a friend and say, "Hey remember that movie? Oh, the one with that guy who did that thing, ya know? What was the name of it again?"

I think this all this is. I'm not sure why your first post was immediately attacking the "truth" or lack thereof of the OP looking for the name of a movie. You said you remember it, but belittle it and offer no further information. If you can remember some details, help a friend out and use some Google....

I have tried to search for it based on the little info posted, I am not having much luck though. I have a brother who would be very interested in possibly traveling here. He likes to research folk tales throughout China in his spare time. So OP, if you have any luck finding it, please update us here.

Thanks

edit on 16-6-2014 by Doodle19815 because: I kissed a frog and I liked it!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Wow, that was out of left field. If I did believe it, would it matter? Just asking a general question here.
thanks everyone for helping out. I know it's a long shot. I barely remember the show and would like to find out more on the subject. It's like this show was the only reference to the place. Perhaps it was a stunt by the documenter to get better ratings. No idea. Would still like to find more details.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I saw a similar documentary however it was in Japanese. The scroll was actually more of a piece of wood and once the person came to claim it they would let you take it as 'in the documentary' there was only 1 for each person. It was also said to have the date of your death on it also. As such, I wonder, how many would actually want to se that written somewhere….

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Only because I was wondering about it the other day... I think I know of the doc you're trying to remember. It was near the beginning of the net at home (for us anyway) and I looked it up, came across a link to a modest site that claimed to be affiliated.
We emailed back and forth, and the cost I think was 90 US to get a copy of your "records".

Sadly always on the lookout for a hoax, even thought they seemed and sounded legit, just couldn't bring myself to send money halfway 'round the world for something not sure of.

I've pondered a few times over the years... for the price of a good night out at the bar (back then-- almost 15 yrs ago?) I possibly coulda known "stuff"... whoknows.
- to note, I re-contacted them a few years later as I changed my mind
- the reply was that the records were no longer in read-able shape (as the website initially proclaimed they'd be deteriorating)

They didn't "advertise" your date of death, but more on what it is you were here to do, specifically.
As I recall there were incredible testimonials on that doc.

Don't know if that helps, but its what I know.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It wouldn't matter to me if you believe it or not. I really wish I could watch the doc now though. I have learned while searching for it that some believe Jesus was in Tibet for his missing years.......

That is about all that my search results turn up.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

What the hell is wrong with you?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
And why would this be up for debate unless someone believed it?

And what makes you think this was posted in order to 'debate about it'?? Geeeze ... the OP posted a simple polite question and asked for more information about it. Your response was uncalled for.

To the OP .... your post intrigued me. After reading it I've been looking for the story ... or for more information on that legend .... Haven't found anything yet. But I"ll keep looking.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think it´s called the palm leaf library. As i remember there are more than one, and you will have to find them by yourself, nobody must help you, they are secret. Watched one or two documentaries about that mysterious librarys.

edit on 17 6 2014 by BRDAKUT because: (no reason given)

edit on 17 6 2014 by BRDAKUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Awesome! And here is an ATS thread on it with a personal experience. www.abovetopsecret.com...

a reply to: BRDAKUT

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I remember watching a show or documentary that included the "life info" on each person, on a rectangular piece of wood, I think it may have had a handle too on one end. Not sure.

I've often thought about that and searched online. Never heard or saw anything about it again. Until this thread. So glad I'm not the only person who has memory of seeing this.

Also wanted to find it to find out where this is/was and go there.

Hoax. Folklore. Crazy talk. Dunno. But it stuck with me ever since I saw the program.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
OP here is more info for you:

www.petermalakoff.com...

Here is reference to National Geography documentary.

cosmic-soup.com...
edit on 19-6-2014 by awakehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Hey OP thanks for the info, this has definitely caught my interest. Here is a previous ats thread about it: Believe It Or Not! Your Fate Is Written On A Palm Leaf!

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
U&G Krishnamurti also visited a Nadi palm leaf astrologer; he was a determined scoffer but was duly impressed by his reading. Sorry I don't have a link to anything on this.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Thank you everyone for the great help. I was sure I'd never find any info.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doodle19815

Ya know what, I will leave defending the OP's actions to the OP. (Perhaps he is writing a paper on Tibetan legends, I have no idea.)

I will however say something about our ATS. We are a group of multi-cultural, like minded, diversely aged group people here. I like to think of us all as friends and family. If you are driving down the street and a movie quote pops into your head, would you not turn to a friend and say, "Hey remember that movie? Oh, the one with that guy who did that thing, ya know? What was the name of it again?"

I think this all this is. I'm not sure why your first post was immediately attacking the "truth" or lack thereof of the OP looking for the name of a movie. You said you remember it, but belittle it and offer no further information. If you can remember some details, help a friend out and use some Google....

I have tried to search for it based on the little info posted, I am not having much luck though. I have a brother who would be very interested in possibly traveling here. He likes to research folk tales throughout China in his spare time. So OP, if you have any luck finding it, please update us here.

Thanks
\

Well Said!!!

new topics

top topics

join