It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi Named Most Corrupt State in the Nation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A list of the top 10 most corrupt States has been compiled by two researchers, one from City University of Hong Kong and one from Indiana University.

They considered public corruption levels based on convictions and came up with per capita dollar amounts for the costs of corruption.

Very interesting. Their data is from 1976 - 2008.

I of course wonder about political party affiliation.

Mississippi is #1 and is considered a "Red" State but Mississippi is riddled with many "Blue" Counties.

I bet there's more "corruption" in the "Blue" areas.

Mississippi has finally got a top ranking among the states. Problem is, it’s an achievement the state can do without.

A study by researchers Cheol Liu from the City University of Hong Kong and Indiana University’s John L. Mikesell found corruption in Mississippi was tops among the states from 1976 through 2008. The study sized up the effect of public corruption—measured by convictions—on state spending. Data after 2008 for all of the areas of their research was incomplete.

The top 10 most corrupt states, according to the study, are:

1 Mississippi
2 Louisiana
3 Tennessee
4 Illinois
5 Pennsylvania
6 Alabama
7 Alaska
8 South Dakota
9 Kentucky
10 Florida

Mississippi Named Most Corrupt State in the Nation

Where's the "Corruption" ?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Where's the "Corruption" ?

Alright, wait a sec. How can a county be given to Romney or Obama with a less than 50% rating?

edit on 1562014 by Snarl because: Less than symbol formatting

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

LOL good question.

The map is from here Mississippi Democratic Party (wiki)

We can double check with this map

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Dear Snarl,

Just a "shoot-from-the-hip" answer. Romney gets 48%, Obama gets 46%, and the Green Party (or whoever) gets 6%.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Good one, brother. You're probably spot on. We've always got to keep Xuenchen on his toes though!!

Personal to X: you know I'll always be a fan.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Most comes from the west side of the State in the blue areas. The absolute most corrupt is the dark blue county on the middle right side of the map. The county is Noxubee(cities of Macon and Brooksville) and is totally run by corrupt dems.

That county also has the highest number of suits(settlements) anywhere around. Locally well know that 65-70%(my numbers) of that county's population has filed and gotten money for every reason you can imagine.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The study sized up the effect of public corruption—measured by convictions—on state spending.

In the more corrupt states, the District Attorney is also corrupt. Fewer prosecutions, fewer convictions, so they stay off the list.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I couldn't help myself, I had to look. Only one county was won with less than 50% of the vote in 2012.

Benton County went 49.8% Romney and 49.7% Obama. The other half of a percent was divided up between four different parties, with the Libertarians getting 0.2% of the vote.

www.politico.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Any list without New Jersey in the top 3 is a bad list.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

a reply to: BABYBULL24

I got to correct that. Any list without New York in the top 3 is a bad list! We are the state that Charlie Rangel is from!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dakota1s2

I'm not sure what the bottom line is here. Should we fault the Dems for being corrupt? Should we praise 'em for playing well together in the same sandbox?

It doesn't matter what color the stripe. We The People are gonna get screwed. The only real question is 'lube or dry'. BOHICA

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Besides the bias that Illinois should be number one with what they have done with that state, I'll say this.

All states in question have had long LONG histories disenfranchising black Americans into various Industrial Complexes and social programs based on long standing racism, segregation, and discrimination.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

For a while i was like "Whoa! This can't be right", but in my defense I'm not American, so it took me while before I remembered, and then I was like "Oh yeah, that is right, District of Columbia, not a state..

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

I'll grant you guys New York and Joisey ... if I get to round out the top three with Kalifornia.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Yea seems that should round up the top three spots! Guess we have to wait for them to compile the data for 2009-2014 to get that correction.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Wowser! I'm amazed that Kentucky comes in at #9! We had a whole mess of the legislature sent up in the early '90s and our Auditor at the time sent up dozens of county officers for corruption. We also had an Attorney General that didn't look at party affiliation when he gave orders to prosecute local corruption. Sadly, he found out that he'd made a serious mistake when he ran for governor.
I have a close relative who is from Mississippi and is currently working in the area. She's a district coordinator for the data gathered by workers cleaning up the oil spill so she interacts regularly with state administrators. That experience has certainly opened her eyes where state government is concerned! Her stories are legion.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24

I don't understand why my state isn't on it either. We have an abundance of coal and gas, but yet, we have one of the poorest sates in the nation, not to mention under-funding in our schools, roads, etc.. The Rockefellers and friends have raped my state and oppressed the people. But they live good lives, though.

I am, however, not surprised that Mississippi is high on the list. They got some serious problems down there. But then again, what state isn't laced with these corrupt people?

top topics

join