It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grade School Principal Makes Kids Walk For Hours In Baking Heat WITHOUT WATER

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teacher4Life
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!
Yes, these children were denied breakfast and made to go to the office instead to try and contact parents. From there they were taken, without any of their teachers being told where they were, out to the track and made to walk while one of the PE teachers watched. These students were also told that lunch may be withheld from them that day if this "problem" wasn't fixed by a parent bringing them a change of clothes.

Thanks so much for coming here to share your side of the story.

The bit about being denied breakfast (and maybe even lunch) makes this whole thing much "better" and brings me back to my previous points / posts. What if one of these kids suffered from diabetes, or low blood sugar, or some other condition which required them to pay more attention to diet? Dietary requirements due to medical conditions or medications aside, forcing the children to go without food (yet another cruel physical punishment all on its own) theoretically only made the walking in the heat (with no water) even more dangerous!

Also:

originally posted by: Teacher4Life
Those kids walked for well over 2 hours before one student took it upon himself to stop and refuse to go any further. Other children quickly followed suit and the PE teacher was heard yelling at them to "get moving" and "don't make me call Mrs. Holland!" It wasn't long after that they were taken inside because Cental Office had called an end to it. As for teachers being cowardly because we didn't go against her, we did. We did go out there with water bottles for them and were able to snag them for just a few minutes before the PE teacher came by and took the bottles away.

Sounds to me like the PE teacher also needs to be fired and/or criminally charged for participating in this.

edit on 19-6-2014 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

So the theme of your post appears to be "follow the rules". Which of course is a good thing to do. Although I wonder if you've missed the part where according the district superintendent, the actions of this principal were in violation of district rules. So is it still considered whining and weak to suggest punishment for this principal even though she broke the rules?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Is the principal criminally liable? No.
Did she not follow the district protocol? Yes.
Should she be fired? No.
Should she be reassigned or reprimanded? Undecided....

I was trying to show in my last post there are 3 things here that are 'wrong' and should be looked at.

1. Follow the rules. If the teachers at the school would not have gone against the principals wishes this would not have happened. Blame those teachers not the principal. If they are so scared to 'stop' the principal they should not suggest something behind her back that hurt the kids and not them. If I was a parent I would want them held responsible also.

2. The kids DID not wear the appropriate attire. The parents in this case are responsible since this is an Elementary school. High school to me is a little different as teens should learn from actions but The kids were not taught anything here. Again, if the parents dressed them correctly this would not have happened. It is not like she just picked some random kids for no reason.

3. No breakfast. If your child is a diabetic you should NOT count on a school breakfast to make sure they are ok.
I understand the argument but to me it is reaching.

If this happened to my child what would I think? Well, first I would blame myself and not the school for not dressing them correctly. Then I would make sure that it did not happen again. You know, take responsibility....
edit on 06pm30pmf0000002014-06-19T14:06:05-05:000205 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

What I am saying is that if your child went to school, and reported that you made them walk outside for two hours in the heat, with no water, the police would be investigating you for abuse. What I am saying is that this sort of physical punishment is against the rules, so the principal broke the rules, yet some people seem to think her doing so is acceptable, and that it's alright for her to break the rules because the kids wore the wrong clothing to school. Do you not see the hypocrisy there? Really???? I think you do.

I would be investigated for telling my kids to go outside and play for a few hours? Is that what our society has become. It sure has and it is very, very sad.

These kids weren't told to "go outside and play" for a few hours; they were told to go walk and walk and walk, with no water, for hours. Don't pretend you think that's the same thing.

First, the children did not comply with a rule. A rule. Rules, whether you agree or not, are there for a reason and should be enforced. Adults today are NOT holding kids or themselves responsible for anything. Just whining...and crying...and suing.

The kids came to school on the last day out of uniform. There is no way for those in charge at the school to know if that was the choice of the kids or of their parents. Such a small thing is also not a reason to push such a punishment, especially when the punishment used isn't even LEGAL, and is a case of the principal not complying with the rules herself. She is an adult, and knows better. Hence a very justifiable lawsuit. She should, rightly, be arrested as well. At least a lawsuit would see some justice done here.

Second, the parents should have made sure the kids were dressed correctly. The kids should not have willingly worn what they should not have. Sneaky behavior and teaching your kids not to obey simple authority. ( these some parents will wonder why their kids are getting high in middle school and pregnant I am sure)

It's already been stated that the kids were allowed to go out of uniform in the past on the last day, and that the new rule wasn't properly communicated to all. If your town changes the neighborhood speed limit from 30 to 20 MPH, and tells only a few people, and doesn't change the signs, is it right for you to be ticketed? How about forced from your car and made to walk? Could the cops break the law and beat you up if you went 30?

Third, this quote sums it up....

They said several dozen children wore regular clothes to school that day instead of required uniforms under the belief that it was allowed.

Belief. This means they knew and sent them anyways. or this gem from a parent...

Lockhart said her daughter wore blue jeans, a pink T-shirt and a vest to school Tuesday because "the teachers said it was OK."

Teachers said it was ok. So, it is also the TEACHERS fault for telling the kids they could do it so why are they not held responsible?

No; it's clear this means they thought the rule was that non-uniform clothing was allowed. That is what the quote actually states. It doesn't state, as you wrongly imply, that they knew the rules was uniforms only and ignored it.

Schools used to be run with rules...now they are run by whiny parents who do not want their precious snowflake to come home crying.

Fact is, my child would have been in uniform, as he was supposed to, so there would have been no issue.

Follow the rules folks...follow the rules.....

Schools used to be run by people that cared about the students, instead of by people that behave like tyrants. Now we have a controlling, power-mad dictator changing the rule, not properly informing everyone, then breaking rules herself in retaliation for all not somehow reading her mind and knowing what she failed to communicate. SHE broke the rules, and she didn't communicate new ones. The failure is hers, not that of the parents or students. Insulting the children involved makes you sound like the same sort of person as is the principal.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

I am always shocked by the people watching something they disagree with, something that could have been dangerous and do nothing.

Well, at least we know some of them tried. Maybe not hard enough, but considering this woman could have their jobs, somewhat i=understandable,; have your own kids starve or help those is a tough decision.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: iwilliam

I am thinking fired, for the principal and the PE teacher, criminally charged for both, at the least. One of mine; they'd be lucky if that's all they got.

You make excellent points about possible health issues as well.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
It's an overreaction. So they only came to school ONCE without the uniform. Probably worked hard to get good grades. So you punish them for slipping up on the last day? Only if you're a control freak.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I've watched for 30 years as American culture has fostered mean, spiteful, gut reaction behavior instead of thinking and wisdom. "Zero tolerance", which was once meant for physical objects of great harm or illegality (guns, drugs), is now used for things like ....not wearing uniforms! Punishment once reserved for truly incorrigible students is now reserved for any student who dares not follow a rule.

It has been said that schools mirror the society they're in. For decades now, Americans have increasingly tolerated to the point of adoration sociopathic authoritarian behavior in their corporate/political leaders. This behavior has been sold to citizens as the fix for the ills of society. We have acquiesced to rather than questioned authoritarian behavior, believing the lie that it is what's best for us.

We have traded true strength of mind and character for false strength of brute force, violence, and disrespect for the dignity of ourselves and others. We have been beaten up with it, and some of us, in turn, beat others with it. The principal's behavior reflects this downward spiral. "Zero tolerance" this.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Oh my god, kids had to walk outside in the sun, not run, not play sports, but walk in the hot sun for 2 hours.

Whats wrong with the world, bunch of cry babies.

Oh the humanity lol

I have to agree with you.

When I was a kid we had sports classes every week. TWO hours. Often outside on the track, playing soccer or running, whatever. We never drank in this time. After the sports ed when we showered we were actually forbidden to drink water from the tap for some reason (too much chlorine in this particular tap water I think).

High 70s or 80s even are not "hot" by a long-shot. YES, you will be thirsty after 2 hours running or whatever in this weather, but the article makes it sound like the kids were at serious risk for their health, even calling the teacher "criminal".

By the way, if you're concerned that your kids will have permanent damage from WALKING or whatever activities out there for 2 hrs, without drinking in some humidity in this time...if you're SO CONCERNED...school is the wrong place for your kid. Then you should place your kids in a nursing home.
edit on 6/26/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/26/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Its criminal because it is against the law. Not "criminal", but criminal.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Well spoken! this is a systemic issue, for certain. I have a family member, very close to me in age, who was a school teacher. Same background for each of us, same values seen growing up, and yet this person seems to have no issues with all the nonsense the government is going these days. Listening to phone calls? "Why should I care? I am not doing anything wrong." I could scream, but it would do no good. This one is brainwashed. If it's a rule, it MUST BE for a good reason, is the mentality of many. They can't accept that those in charge would lie, or do anything not for the good of society. I am sure some of that attitude was learned in college, preparing to teach. Some, I blame on the big city environment, which I believe (as someone suggested in an article) can affect how people think.

Some of it is cultural, as well. The most independent people, the ones able to care for themselves, and proud of their heritage, are treated as joke material. "Redneck" is tossed around like it's a bad thing. The "hillbilly" mentality that I know somewhat (some relatives from that group), in reality a proud and independent people, is treated as "backward". Values are "dated", and "no longer needed". Many are convinced they NEED big government, to "take care of them". Politicians are elected based on popularity, and treated like celebrities, instead of like EMPLOYEES, which is what they are supposed to be. Of course, real history isn't taught any longer, either, in the schools. We had to really search to locate good materials for that! Much of what was available was a real joke. Instead of actual history, many of the books were more socially oriented; with far too much of what would have been called "social studies" in the past, but which these days is more social programming. The trend is to teach the kids not just about different cultures, but apparently to teach them that all other cultures are good, and ours is somehow wrong. One book, for U.S. students, had an entire chapter about Islam, all positive, of course, and another chapter of "other world religions", as though Islam was the main religion here!

Of course, when bad behavior is applauded, it's no surprise that people start admiring those who display the bad behavior. When immorality is treated as normal, it's no surprise that society becomes more immoral, and we end up with all sorts of issues there. People are even programmed to think they are not important; that everything on the planet is more important than they are. Kids are scared into thinking if they do anything, they are "destroying the world". Tons of people believe health care should be denied to anyone not "productive", anyone disabled, etc. Young girls are taught they exist for sex. And, no, that isn't an exaggeration; check the clothing sold for pre-teens in a lot of places. Some is so raunchy and "trampy", I would not have worn it to a nightclub. Yet people dress their daughters in the stuff! Then these girls are taught that they are expected to have sex; it's "normal", and "acceptable" for teenage girls. They end up with little to no self respect, tons of emotional baggage, and maybe some physical problems as well, depending. Young men are treated similarly, with the difference being that they are to be more aggressive sexually, and any behavior is "acceptable" to many.

Violence......There is a thread on this site right now where a member has actually threatened violence, obliquely, but threatened, over an issue that they don't want to admit is real. Violence is taught to many, and even promoted by "leaders", as "retaliation" for things long in the past, gangs of "youth" (and rad into that as needed) go around attacking people for nothing but differences in looks. Riots are threatened over virtually anything. The "music" choices of some (quotes because frankly, I don't consider some of it to be actual music) are from artists that promote violence, and glorify immoral behavior. The average sit-com these days is pure trash. Many movies, you couldn't pay me to watch.

This principal is a product of the times, for certain, and a clear sign that it's getting a lot worse. When you can't trust those who in the past were the ones you'd want to trust most, the nation is in real trouble.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Rules are not meant to be broken. There is a result, that, i have agreed, may not have been right but it could have been easily avoided.

I have relatives in the school system and there are no secrets. If this principal is as hated as you say then it seems the actions of a few teachers who did not have the willingness to stand up in person did it by telling the kids they could wear what they wanted.

Your comparison of changing speed limits, while i understand the point, does not apply. There is a 'new' sign. If you do not obey it you are not following the rules. Kids at this age need to follow simple rules or when they get older they will have instilled in them the thought that the rules do not apply to them. Then, a high school teacher has to deal with a creep who does not follow rules because they never had to and " had other teachers who did not care". If you are a teacher I KNOW you have heard that one. My analogy would be if a gallon of gas was 2 bucks in 2008 you cannot go to a gas station, throw down some money and say 'this is what I used to pay". There is a sign...rules...you have to follow them.

Again, in a case like this you have to look at WHY it happened the way it did. No matter what a bitch the principal may be there are avenues to deal with folks like that. Stand up the bully and not talk behind their back. If she is so bad why did it take till the last day for someone/anyone to speak up???

I am glad none of the kids got dehydrated/etc but rules were broken.
edit on 06am30amfu2014-06-27T09:43:30-05:000930 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join