It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grade School Principal Makes Kids Walk For Hours In Baking Heat WITHOUT WATER

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Oh my goddness folks, it was two hours in 70 degree temps. Come on now. This is rediculous. This is exactly why kids these days are so weak. We baby them, and coddle them until theyre soft, and squishy. Barely anyone actually disciplines their kids anymore. Barely anyone prepares their kids for the rough times that are most assuredly ahead. Kids play outside all damn day, many times without coming in to get something to drink. Again. This is rediculous. Raise ur freakin kids and quit treatin them like babies!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Sure the principle is an idiot. But the teachers who cowed to her are cowardly. I am ashamed of the entire group of them.

ETA: i was telling this to my 16 year old here, and he said, "Hmmm....the teachers sound like "Hitlers Henchmen"".

edit on 6/16/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
an obvious fact that people seem to have missed :

all regulations apply every day - unless a specific waiver to a specific regulation is granted

The superintendent also noted that forced physical activity is illegal under school district rules.

Which also applies to a punishment of walking the track for an hour or two. She could have had them sit in a room and wait.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: jjsr420

I was going to post the exact same thing. I don't agree with the principal, but people are acting like they were left in a desert to die. It's 2 hours in upper 70's to upper 80's. Was it hot? Yes. Was it uncomfortable? Probably. I doubt the kids were about to suffer a heat stroke or needed medical attention. Jeesh. I remember playing outside as a kid for hours in 90+ heat before I would stop for a water break. Again, I don't advocate the principal's decision, but I think the reaction to the kids having to walk around a track in summer temps is a bit comical. Our society needs to toughen up the next generation. We're going to need them to lead one day.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'd have liked to see the principal stop me from taking water to kids if they were obviously thirsty. It's the last day of school, the only things I remember doing on those days were nothing, parties, and signing yearbooks. Such a small amount of power to be drunk upon.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

If she cannot follow rules, she should not be allowed to enforce rules. But, that's our system. She will be back with a bigger attitude next year.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Typical type of person who goes into that profession as of late.

Not all of those who go into education are like this, but this type of behavior is seemingly on the increase over the last several years.

Disgusting.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Ain't it Awful!

Ya'll are a bunch of wimps...

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sickening and she should be charged with a crime. I just wonder if this principle moved there from New York or is she local-grown? We have a lot of common sense-deficient people in our schools systems and they are mostly planted here from NY.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Would have been better to hold the kids back a year. or maybe we could get some other kids to do the walking for them you know like the olde whipping boy thing. Parents should have been forced to walk with them backwards for helping their kids break the rules..

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Why does the principal get as pass for breaking a school district rule.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I seem to remember as a kid, in Florida, playing outside for hours riding my bike, playing baseball, tag, soccer, etc all in 90 degree temps 100% humidity. None of us died.

Charges? Arrests? Sorry, the only thing that could make this better is if they made the parents walk for not complying with the rules.

I beat NONE of those kids comes to school in the wrong outfit again and NO one was hurt....

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
ATTENTION! ATTENTION!

I am a teacher that worked at Manchester Elementary School this year. I was there on June 10th and I know the students who had to walk that day. This kind of tyrany and BS is what we as staff and students have been made to tolerate all year. This is not the first time that Tammy Holland has done something outrageous and over the top because of some small infraction. This is simply the first time someone has been able to keep it from being swept under the rug. Tammy Holland has been an administrator in CCS for years now and at many different schools. In all of her schools she has done her best to beat down, berate and belittle ALL of the people who work under her. That is why, out of almost 30 teachers at Manchester, all but eight of us have either taken jobs somewhere else or are actively looking to leave. NO ONE wants to work with her again. So please take my word for it that EVERY person has suffered under the administration of Tammy Holland this school year.

Back to June 10th... Yes, these dozen or so children showed up to school with non-regulation clothes on. Last year the 5th graders were allowed to do this. Not one of the 5th grade teachers told these children that it was OK. Students decided on their own to do this. Should it be a big deal? No, it shouldn't. But any infraction, even minor, to Tammy Holland, is taken as a direct slap in the face to her absolute rule. Yes, these children were denied breakfast and made to go to the office instead to try and contact parents. From there they were taken, without any of their teachers being told where they were, out to the track and made to walk while one of the PE teachers watched. These students were also told that lunch may be withheld from them that day if this "problem" wasn't fixed by a parent bringing them a change of clothes. Those kids walked for well over 2 hours before one student took it upon himself to stop and refuse to go any further. Other children quickly followed suit and the PE teacher was heard yelling at them to "get moving" and "don't make me call Mrs. Holland!" It wasn't long after that they were taken inside because Cental Office had called an end to it. As for teachers being cowardly because we didn't go against her, we did. We did go out there with water bottles for them and were able to snag them for just a few minutes before the PE teacher came by and took the bottles away. The track is completely open and without many trees at all. They were walking in full-on sun the entire time. Yes, we go outside for recess every day and these same kids are the ones running around and having a great time but our outside play is for 30 minutes, not 2 HOURS! The punishment did not fit the crime (if you can even consider it a crime, which none of us teachers do) and was over the top ridiculous. But that, people, is Tammy Holland for those of you who don't know her. She is her own particular brand of crazy. She needed to be fired years ago as she has done similar things in other schools and it has been kept under wraps. I sincerely hope that this is her final straw.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

This administrator has been breaking and making her own rules for years. She's been moved around to different schools because numerous teachers have refused to work with her again and end up leaving because of her.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Tammy Holland is "home-grown" and from Fayetteville. I've heard her say that to students when they've asked her.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Josephus

A couple of teachers, myself included, WERE out there with water bottles for the kids. Those bottles were collected up and taken away. A bunch of us were also calling parents on our own to make them aware of what was happening.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teacher4Life
a reply to: roadgravel

This administrator has been breaking and making her own rules for years. She's been moved around to different schools because numerous teachers have refused to work with her again and end up leaving because of her.

I had a feeling this was standard procedure for her. There are few Tammys in many school districts.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Sure the principle is an idiot. But the teachers who cowed to her are cowardly. I am ashamed of the entire group of them.

ETA: i was telling this to my 16 year old here, and he said, "Hmmm....the teachers sound like "Hitlers Henchmen"".

This comment is ridiculous and ignorant. We teachers WERE out there with water bottles for these kids. They got taken away from them. We were calling parents and telling them the situation. What else were we to do? Stage a sit in out there on the track to prove a point? Then more kids would've been in those conditions. The blame for this horrible situation rests squarely on the shoulders of Tammy Holland, the Principal. Who, by the way, is the one that signs off on our evaluations, recommendations etc. (False) bad evaluations = No job in another school or county because of her words. We walk a fine line between doing what we know is right as humans, like helping those kids, and trying not to get ourselves blacklisted. Yes, she's done it to people.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
What is the difference between this woman and a person leaving a dog in the car on a hot day, or even a child? Were I to leave a dog, a child or even a barbie doll in the car on a hot day I would be jailed, for maybe life. But this woman's actions are NOT child endangerment? What is endangerment?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Fired from the school system. She obviously cannot be trusted to monitor or care for children.

Would be nice if a judge gave her a week of labor out in the summer sun. She needs to learn about heat and hydration.

edit:

The superintendent also noted that forced physical activity is illegal under school district rules.

She can't even follow school rules...

She's a principal. Union admin with tenure, I'm sure, so good luck with that firing. You're gonna need it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join