It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Cat Went Missing For Ten Days... What Should I Expect From His Behaviour?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

...don't teach them the theme to Andy Griffith though!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BloodSister
a reply to: signalfire

No he isn't fixed but that's on my to-do list now as ive heard of that before lol. He was proberly trying to find a lady

I'd leave his nuts alone, or the gentle head butting night turn into a full blown southpaw!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

You have to though, it stops all the unwanted pets ending up being put down in the shelters, makes them live longer and prevents them from wanting to roam and mark everywhere. It's the responsible thing to do, the sooner the better so they don't know what they are missing.

They even have implants for those that feel bad! lol

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
My cat Jake still does this once a year or so just goes for days and days and he comes back looking a little worse for wear but he tells us of his great adventures (Meows lots like he is telling us where he has been) I know people whom have said they have seen him 7 miles away.
We just call it his holiday, once your Cat gets to know the area better he will not get lost and return home.
Sounds like the little one was happy see see you and a bet it was a relief eh? cos I still worry a little when Jakie does it.

Oh and Microchip him also just in case.
edit on 15-6-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It will most likely act psychotic, detached and selfish...... Oh wait, that's normal for cats.

get a dog they act like they actually care about you.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peekingsquatch
a reply to: smurfy

It's the responsible thing to do, the sooner the better so they don't know what they are missing.

In that case it's probably too late!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I glad your furface friend made it back home safe and sound. As other posters have said, his appetite is probably deminished and will return to normal soon. My cat went on a 7 day vacation so I know how worried you must of been.

As for letting cats out, I guess it depends on the area in which the cat lives. I have always kept mine in because there are many predators in area, gators, snakes, skinks ect. But I will admit I have always felt bad that he can't go out, that is until I saw a neighbors cat run through my back yard and another neighbors dog attack and killed it. If you have a pet, it's the responsible thing to do to provide them with a safe place to live and not let them do as they please with someone else's pets and property.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BloodSister
Watch him VERY carefully the next 48 to 72 hours. If he refuses to eat again, get him to a vet, it's an emergency.

Any time cats go a period of more than a couple of days without food, either willfully or not, they can have liver failure. That he ate once is a good sign, but his unwillingness to eat again could be a warning sign. Though he appears okay, he could be in liver and/or kidney failure already. Watch his litter box and make certain he is urinating normally, and his feces are normal. If his urine is orangish looking, or he is not producing any, it may already be too late.

It is extremely serious for a cat, as I said, to go more than a short time without food. He may be feeling ill, they don't show it until they are deathly ill, it's instinctive to hide illness, as their showing weakness reveals them to potential predators. If he has not eaten by tomorrow, or he is not urinating, he needs an emergency vet.

This type of death is extremely painful, and rather quick. He can die within a few days.

healthypets.mercola.com...

Here is a link for you, as most people don't fully understand this type of emergency. Please take it seriously, I lost a kitty this way, and never knew this could happen. It is a feline only disorder.

Good luck, I hope this is not his fate, but please watch him, and maybe even take him in for a checkup. He sounds dehydrated at best, and may need a bolus of fluids under his skin.

Please keep us updated.

Lg

edit on 15-6-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

but the thing I'm concerned about is him not wanting food like he normally did, he was a well fed cat and now he's really skinny.

Male cats roam. Its just what they do. They like to be out on their own, look for mates, and look for food. Since he's an indoor cat, he's probably not as good at looking for food on his own, so that's probably why he got skinny. Any time an animal goes without food, they lose their appetite for food. I've experienced this before where I didn't eat much for a while and when I tried eating, I couldn't eat much because I just couldn't.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Oh, I remember those days when I was young. Out for ten days without going back home at night, crashing at friends houses. Expect a week long hangover and maybe a craving for that nasty drug catnip. keep all rolling papers away from your cat and do not leave a lighter hanging around where it can get it.

I bet he is going to do nothing but sleep most of the day for the rest of his life....All cats seem to do that.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peekingsquatch
a reply to: crayzeed
Do you actually letyour cat roam the neighborhoods?

I've had cats for my whole life and had done the only indoor thing but only briefly. I found in-door only cats to be terribly nerotic. I think cats need to do some roaming for mental health reasons.

And yes, I have lost several young cats to cars and coyotes but find after the first year or so, if they survive their roamings and are fixed, they stay pretty close to home most of the time and are reliable about getting fed. Older cats will go out to "take the sun" or watch the birds but mostly stay in.

The only caveat would be that there be a kitty door or open window at all times they are out so they can get in if they need. Since I rent and can't do that I leave the door open for him (a elderly ginger gent) when I've home - at night too. He stay with me till I turn out the light and then takes his consitutional.

Just my personal preference and experience.

Glad you found your cat, get him fixed. Lost a young female for a week and..... well you get the picture.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I have a hard time getting my head around it is why I ask. It's not to argue, it's more to figure out what people are thinking. Dogs are used to packs for instance, but I don't let my dog roam to look for friends and cause issues around the neighborhood. If I lived in the country where there was maybe a purpose for an "outside animal," I guess I could see it better but even then it gets rather cold and snowy and wouldn't want them out to get sick, in fights or worse. Cats inherently seem to be very similar that if they never knew the ability to roam, in theory they shouldn't miss it. That seems to be why so many talk about cats being great for people in apartments etc. because they can acclimate to their surroundings.

I had a few cats, and treated them like dogs. They ate dog food(it ended up being who smelled worse my dog eating cat food or the cat eating dog food) they came when they were called, didn't get on counters or furniture, tried to vocalize if someone knocked at the door, and walked out in the yard to do their business, but batted the door when they were done and never tried to leave. I never let them roam and they seemed to have never had any adjustment or social issues.

Maybe just my experience, but could never understand why most owners don't try this with them.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Peekingsquatch

That's goovy - my cat's trained to come to the ringing of a brass bell so I can get him in when I have to leave. Always get's a treat when he comes to the bell so he always does. No proplem about training them at need but I want a cat not a dog - had them too - they require way too much work.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
He's obviously possessed by the angry soul of the woman's deceased husband.
If he starts doing this, run for your life.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

He tried eating this morning, he ate a bit of tuna and chicken. He's wee is orange but I don't know if that's him dehydrated because hes been drinking a good amount since hes been back so I will check his wee later to see if it has got a bit lighter. Any other warning signs to look out for? Thank you for your input I didn't know that this was possible

Edit : He's just wolfed down loads of chicken and now he's on the vivarium staring at the bearded dragon ( He used to do this all the time before he left ) I think he is slowly getting back to his old self.
yayyyy
edit on 16-6-2014 by BloodSister because: New info

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mwood

I have an American bulldog cross staff, the cat and himself adore each other. Cats do show love and affection and shows affection to the dog. I think they call people who receive love and affection from a cat are called Nice people,.... You know, the type who have much better things to do in life than write something soo pointless on a subject that clearly doesn't interest the ''Troll''.

Cats do not give up their affection easily and they make you work for it. I love dogs on the same level but dogs do give up their love easily

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Awww yes I bet you still worry when he goes out.

Ill be getting him chipped on Wednesday but the cat flap is locked and sealed!! lol

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Peekingsquatch

Yeah I understand, I couldn't let my cat out. After ive been searching for my cat ive sort of got to know the villages cats and they all seem to hang out on their roads or outside their houses, but I don't think I could get by my day knowing my cats out side.... we wouldn't let our dogs and other animals roam

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
My cats brawler and he's out fighting all the time, lost an eye through it tho poor sod

But anyways most cats do it he was probably out doing the you know what having a bit of fun

Had a female cat once that went missing for 2 weeks n more she came back up the duff

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

a reply to: mwood

I have an American bulldog cross staff, the cat and himself adore each other. Cats do show love and affection and shows affection to the dog. I think they call people who receive love and affection from a cat are called Nice people,.... You know, the type who have much better things to do in life than write something soo pointless on a subject that clearly doesn't interest the ''Troll''.

Cats do not give up their affection easily and they make you work for it. I love dogs on the same level but dogs do give up their love easily

I understand that it's expensive, but if that happened to one of my three, I would have taken it to the vet anyhow just to be safe. My husband would have grumbled a lot, but he would have been just as worried.

Of course, my three are all indoor babies, so I would've been super-freaked out by having one missing like that.

If he ate, I'd keep a really close eye on that pee and his water consumption. If he's drinking a lot and it's not lightening in color, I'd definitely be taking him for a check. But it's hard to say without knowing what color it normally is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join