It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtually Travel The Globe by Drone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There is a lot in the news these days about drones. Primarily and most often, the military type and how they are used to kill people in war or civil unrest, whichever the case may be. As they come to be used more and more around the world, such stories will become more common, not less so, I'm afraid.

However, there are TWO sides to drones, and one isn't Military or Government at all! In fact, not all the private side is even corporate or business. Some is just plane neat uses which average people come up with for photography from some degree of altitude. It brings amazing results.

That brings me to the topic of my post... How would you like to see the world? I mean REALLY SEE IT, not just see the Media version which is treated, processed, edited and generally made pretty or ugly in advance, depending on what story is being shown that day.

Here is the answer!

Most of us have become accustomed to the amazing imagery of the world available on Google's Street View, but a new site promises the same kind of virtual tourism from the aerial perspective of drones.

Launched back in April by Switzerland-based Jan Hiersemenzel, TravelByDrone is a site that harnesses the power of YouTube and Google Maps to allow you to explore the planet via recorded drone footage.
Source

So what does this offer that is so neat? Take a look at this!

(Historic Rocky Mountain Railroad)

And this!

Or even this!

It offers such beautiful and direct views from all over the world, in fact. It's a collection of drone footage to see our globe the way those who are in these places see it on a daily basis.

So if you get a chance, take a few minutes and travel some...without ever leaving home.

It's all possible now at: Travel By Drone

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
With the proliferation of drones .. there will be no more privacy .. got me starting to consider acquiring a good 12 guage next trip downriver .. came out here because value my privacy and solitude .. see any drones start showing up will work on my skeet shooting skills ..
That is if the locals didnt shoot it down first .. out here in the border areas theres good reasons why the surrounding countries governments leave us to ourselves theyve learned the hard way uninvited guests arent welcomed ..

Its good to see drones used for a positive purpose to show people the world without the propaganda and media biases .. but at the same time that doesnt mean using them to violate peoples privacy ..
Think they need to factor in before letting people whether gov or private regs on where they can and cant fly them along with peoples right to privacy before they let just anyone get drones.. as it is privacy is fast becoming a thing of the past in todays world ..

Now if they just show things like nature preserves .. historic sites .. wildlife in its natural habitat without disturbing the wildlife .. active volcanos and things of that nature then that would be a good thing as people would get to see places and things that they may not have a chance to see otherwise ..

Interesting thread s&f

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Drones aren't cyborgs. We're a long long way from Skynet. At least anything we're seeing is...so for now, drones are nothing but the extension of the person controlling it. If it's a person without bad intent or malicious action? The drone is nothing to fear or be concerned about ...as long as it's not directly overhead to fall on anyone. If it's controlled by an evil r0dent or pervert? Yeah, privacy and harassment become issues real quick.

The thing is, we have laws against both covert video taping into private areas and harassment or stalking, however one would want to term it. Throw the book at 'em for who screws up ..but killing the technology over the paranoia from the % of REAL abuses would be like banning cars because some are used to violate, kidnap, rob and even run people down and kill them outright.

We book the people for the bad act, not ban the machine they abused and misused to commit it. Just my feelings.....

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
To me, this is pointless technology. It's like going to the beach just to look at the water and not go in. What is the point?

You can't smell the air. Feel the sand. Talk to the people. Eat the food. Experience the place. You are just looking at images on your computer.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Cool, nice thing to share. Perhaps it's great for those people with a disability who want to discover new places. Helpful too for those travelers who are torn between two amazing places and yet bound to only choose one.

top topics

join