It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Stuns the Crowd with 4th Verse of Star Spangled Banner Lyrics Most Americans Have Never Heard

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

...And Thanks to You, I have Learned Something New Today!

Respects!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I liked it better without the God part in it at the end. As an atheist my motto is NOT “In God is our trust.” That stuff shouldn't be in a national anthem. It's creepy if you don't believe in such things.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

BRAVO!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Dear Woodcarver,

You know what's going on in your mind batter than anyone else, but it seems that you're being way over-sensitive, and seeing things that aren't there.

In talking about God, I said:

They also say silly things like "America was not founded on religion," or "America is not based on the Creator."

That says nothing about Atheists being unpatriotic. It is merely reporting that the founder's speeches, letters, and documents, show that the country was founded on religion and God. It does no good to accuse me of things I didn't say when I simply report the truth as it was recorded 200+ years ago.

If you'd like to charge that my statements are in error, fine, that's how I learn. But I don't think I'm required to defend things I didn't say.

I know that for many, the mention of God sets off flares, warning flags, alarms, and gets the troops into immediate battle formation. You can see it on ATS. I'm just asking you to pause for a moment to consider the statement made.

Oh, Religion of Peace? That's the Muslims isn't it? The most basic principle, and the one my religion is based on, is Truth. Thugs? Naw, those are assassins from India.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well done by that man, it should be included every time someone sings it.

AND, it should be sung like this man did, not all jazzed-up by people like Aerosmith and Alicia Keys.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The original actually had something like 32 lines, only 8 of which we actually use in what was to become our national anthem. Those the marine was singing were the last 8 lines in the poem if I remember correctly, while what we use as our national anthem are the first 8 lines. So there are actually 16 others I believe. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that point, but I know I've seen it somewhere.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: nighthawk1954

May I offer a bit of a rant?

There are many who say we live under a "Living Constitution." They mean we can change the Constitution without bothering with the required steps to change it.

They also say that America is the ugliest country in the world, the country with the worst values, the country that should be hated by all.

They also say that America can be transformed into a far better nation, by changing it's very fundamentals to agree with some nondescript nation that wants to have nothing to do with the rest of the world and is content to treat it's citizens like dependent children instead of men.

They also say silly things like "America was not founded on religion," or "America is not based on the Creator."

Those people are deeply un-American. They want to destroy the country, whatever else they may claim. The Marines should be proud that they, at least, will fight until the very end.

I don't want to piss you off or anything. But who are these "they" you are talking about that are saying all these things about our country?

Your saying they want to change the Constitution. Well the Constitution has been changed several times over the years by way of amendments. You seem to have changed the Constitution yourself with out the benefit of any amendment, by your implication that America was founded on religion, and that America is based on the Creator.

I think the separation of church and state was pretty much a foundation upon which this country was built. Freedom of religion is basic. And not just your religion, but all religion. Man has a right to the god of his choice.

And just as reality check here, the National Anthem is not a part of the Constitution.

So when I see a sentimental tear jerkier like this and people get to confusing what's the reality of our country and what is the myth I don't hold out much hope

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: okyouwin

originally posted by: charles1952

May I offer a bit of a rant?

There are many who say we live under a "Living Constitution." They mean we can change the Constitution without bothering with the required steps to change it.

They also say that America is the ugliest country in the world, the country with the worst values, the country that should be hated by all.

They also say that America can be transformed into a far better nation, by changing it's very fundamentals to agree with some nondescript nation that wants to have nothing to do with the rest of the world and is content to treat it's citizens like dependent children instead of men.

Those people are deeply un-American. They want to destroy the country, whatever else they may claim. The Marines should be proud that they, at least, will fight until the very end.

I don't want to piss you off or anything. But who are these "they" you are talking about that are saying all these things about our country?

Your saying they want to change the Constitution. Well the Constitution has been changed several times over the years by way of amendments. You seem to have changed the Constitution yourself with out the benefit of any amendment, by your implication that America was founded on religion, and that America is based on the Creator.

I think the separation of church and state was pretty much a foundation upon which this country was built. Freedom of religion is basic. And not just your religion, but all religion. Man has a right to the god of his choice.

And just as reality check here, the National Anthem is not a part of the Constitution.

So when I see a sentimental tear jerkier like this and people get to confusing what's the reality of our country and what is the myth I don't hold out much hope

Actually read the Constitution again.

NO WHERE does it say separation of church and state. What it does say is:
1st amendment “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”
Art VI “no religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States”
Both were in direct response to the Anglican Church of England. To become a member of government at the time you had to be an Anglican Church member. Madison had originally wanted it to read "national religion" (ie Anglican Church)
Many forget the second part of the 1st amendment; “or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”.
For example: By passing a law that says you CAN’T pray at any event you are breaking that part.
It is true that the state can’t force anyone to observe a religious act, but that can’t stop anyone from freely doing so either.
Separation was not even a legal issue until 1897 and then not again until after WW2.
Even in 1972 the Supreme Court said: "Our prior holdings do not call for total separation between church and state; total separation is not possible in an absolute sense. Some relationship between government and religious organizations is inevitable,"

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Now, lets see. Clearly the OP likes a song sung by a righteous man, a man who clearly is a better man than all other man. A song about principles, a song about destroying evil. And it should involve stars, the name of (a) God and be sung by a guy that can sing ..

How about this one then?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join