It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Dinosaurs Walk Among Humans in the Days of the Bible?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This actually makes the most sense in my opinion I never thought of that although I have no idea if it's true or not it's highly probable 👍 a reply to: stormbringer1701

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Some mythical creatures may indeed have real grounds for existence. There's no need look a lot at history, some old buildings have "memento mori" even today. One of which is Wawel Cathedral with dragon bones. Of course these are hardly from dragon, but more likely from wholly rhino and mammoth. Ice age creatures not only did have direct contact with humans, but likely did have a cultural impact with myths and legends coming from the past about big powerful animals that are no more. While it's easy to associate certain mythical land based creatures with extinct animals (whoolly rhino, mammoth) as most could have been found even today on land frozen, in swamps and as a collection of bones. With sea creatures it may be a bit different. Bones from sea creatures that are not washed ashore, are easily dissolved by sea water leaving no trace of existence. There aren't may places where such finds could happen, there aren't as many finds.
Giant fish myth is interesting as it's found around the world, often finds it's way in numerous depictions, cosmological maps. Cosmological maps do represent understanding of world of certain period of time or religion. World was understood differently in the past, not by geographical map or map of stars. Cosmological maps can be recognized in almost all religions, sometimes layered, Christian are usually with hell at the bottom, earth, then paradise on top and God. Giant fish is often found among these form old times and as such most likely had an important role or meaning.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Technically yes insofar as bords are thought to have evolved from dinosaurs.

But why does everyone go on about dinosaurs - the majority of which were quite small

What about dicynodonts and gorgonopsians? Or even more recent mammals like Paraceratherium?

I say it's specisism!

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Oh dear.

I stopped reading when you said God lied to Eve, and satan told her the truth. It hurts me that so many people have no knowledge in the Spirit and trust the flesh.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The creatures in the bible could be a result of a certain mixture of herbs givin to a man to turn into the creature then when the serum ran out they turned back to human. That would explain the lack of bones. I will give all a hint since i know how to kill a dragon. One of the ingredients is a large dose of phosphorus mixed with other things but do not try that at home cause you will die and if the mixture is not right your spirit could be trapped. Some that walk amoung us have the ability to draw the energy they need for the transformation from things around us without taking anything. These are called shapeshifters.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The creatures in the bible could be a result of a certain mixture of herbs givin to a man to turn into the creature then when the serum ran out they turned back to human. That would explain the lack of bones. I will give all a hint since i know how to kill a dragon. One of the ingredients is a large dose of phosphorus mixed with other things but do not try that at home cause you will die and if the mixture is not right your spirit could be trapped. Some that walk amoung us have the ability to draw the energy they need for the transformation from things around us without taking anything. These are called shapeshifters.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: KaelemJames

I didn't say any of it. It's all from the Judeo-Christian texts. But you obviously didn't even read that far because what the txt says is-

God lies to Adam about the tree of knowledge
. I made no mention of Satan, I mentioned only the snake, or Nachash in the original Hebrew. And whether you want to be bothered by it or not, the snake(which was never associated with the devil until the Middle Ages) did tell Eve the truth did it not? Did she eat the fruit? Yes. Did she did? No. Then the snake was truthful and god was a liar according to the Jewish texts. If Nachash is Satan could you please explain why Moses staff turned into Nachash when he confronted the Pharoah? If Nachash is Satan, why then would Moses bring him to life as his avatar?

I have plenty knowledge of both spirit and flesh and am more than willing to critically examine what and why I believe and think the way I do. Everything is always up for reexamination if evidence doesn't fit the paradigm. I'm more than willing to admit my errors, can anyone who takes the bible as a historical document say the same? I think not considering you wouldn't even read all of my post. That is after all, your prerogative but don't make bold claims and ignore the counter argument if you want people to take your POV very seriously.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar Eve is dead and would be alive today if she had stayed away from that fruit. Moses knew much about reptiles and he chose a snake eater. That snake is not the one who killed eve.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Kind of a big reach there IMO. The implication from "god" to Adam was that eating the fruit would lead to death quite quickly as opposed to living for decades in exile.

Where did you come across your information about Moses being an expert herpetologist? That's a really new one for me. And from everything I read, no snake killed eve,let alone either Nachash( the one in the garden and the one in Moses staff) but at least your not insisting that Nachash was satan so ill take what I can get.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Figures of speech.

A nice explanation I received (Credit to Patrick Heron)

And by the same token, then Dan is a snake according to Gen. 49:17, Nero is called a lion in 2 Timothy 4:17, Herod is a fox (Luke 13:32), and Judah is called a ‘lion’s whelp’. These figures of speech show that something much more real and truer to truth is intended showing something much more real than the letter of the word. Thus the Hebrew word for serpent in Gen.3 is nacash (from the root Nacash, ‘to shine’), means ‘a shining one’. These accords with Paul in 2 Cor.11 where he defines the serpent as Satan who is ‘an angel of light’.

But what of Genesis 3:14; When God confronts the serpent He says;

“...upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust thou shalt eat all the day of thy life. And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.”

Again we have more figures of speech employed here. God said He would put enmity, or hostility, between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent. And that the seed of the serpent would ‘bruise the heel’ of the seed of the woman, while her seed would bruise the serpent’s head. In the New International Version of the Bible, referring to the seed of the woman, it says ‘he will crush your head’. Of course this verse is the first prophecy in scripture of the coming Messiah who would ultimately destroy the works of the serpent (Satan) while it also states that the Devil would bruise or strike the heel of the Messiah. This could, or do refer to the crucifixion when the ‘princes of this world’ (1 Cor. 2:8) murdered the Lord Jesus. But this striking of the heel is a non fatal attack to a non vital part of the body, the heel, as He was raised from death three days later. However, the serpent having his head crushed by the Messiah is a much more grievous injury in that it implies that all Satan’s plans and plots and schemes will one day be destroyed when finally he is cast into the Lake of Fire. Romans 16:20 says, “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” (NIV) Again, this is a figure of speech and does not mean our literal feet.

The point is; it is not speaking of the literal heel of Jesus neither is it speaking of the literal head of Satan. These are both figures of speech.

In the same way, ‘on thy belly shalt thou go’, is a figure which means more than a literal belly of a snake. It is describing the utter humiliation of Satan as he must crawl on his belly in submission before the Most High God because of his sin. The same truth applies to the words, “Dust shalt thou eat.” Snakes do not eat dust.

The serpent of Genesis 3 is Satan who is the Devil who is also figuratively called, the dragon. He is a bright shinning angel and masquerades as such. It is he who debated the Word of God with Adam and Eve in the garden and deceived them causing the fall by which death entered the world.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: KaelemJames

Sure, in the english translations it seems to be nothing more than figures of speech. However when you get down to the linguistics and etymological roots, I'm going with the original Hebrew as opposed to something that's been translated from Aramaic to Hebrew to Greek to Latin and finally a few hundred years ago into modern dialects. It just seems like there's a lot if reaching to get to some of these conclusions

Were obviously not even reading the same book let alone on the same page so I'm happy to agree to disagree with you. I'm not trying to disrespect your faith or beliefs in any way. You made a claim that your god doesn't lie, I found instances where that clearly isn't the case and instead of addressing that we instead are discussing the cognate roots vs. modern figures of speech. Instead of arguing over who's interpretation is superior I'd rather find a common ground.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

We will agree to disagree

No harm done.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Every time we come to topic like this, it is very hard to follow where they interpret bible literarly, and where they take it figuratively. I was quite surprised that God, while givin' human kind 'book to follow' or what you would today call 'bible' (and other people have different books given by the same guy, yes?) and people of time call 'collection of stories' did not give also clear instructions how to read it?!

Or that is also satan's work?? Must have been...

Everything was boring until mentioning of magical potions and shape-shifters... Bro, this is topic on religion, not on True Blood or Twilight...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

It is taking the time to study the Scriptures, and with that prayer. You need the Living Word to guide you in the Written word.

There are times when I don't have a clue what something in the Scripture means, and then later on, or a week or two later it just hits me. Like an awakening. Of course, having quiet time with God daily is the only way to receive an "awakening"

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: KaelemJames

It is taking the time to study the Scriptures, and with that prayer. You need the Living Word to guide you in the Written word.

There are times when I don't have a clue what something in the Scripture means, and then later on, or a week or two later it just hits me. Like an awakening. Of course, having quiet time with God daily is the only way to receive an "awakening"

In short, you are reading in the way so that you could adjust it to your own interpretation...

As for quite time with God... interestingly he seems to be very quite since times of bible stories... don't you find that suspicious?

I would say, too quite... or what George Carlin would say - hi might just not give a sh*t... something I admire in person...

Or do you like to try to take on Sam's Haris and his view of God and belief?

edit on 18-6-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I read the bible from beginning to end and meditate on those things which I struggle with. The answers eventually comes to me. It may take days, weeks. Patience.

I do read Psalms or Proverbs for encouragement in between the other books on a daily basis.

If one just read and don't meditate on it, indeed God will be "quiet". Read and pray to expect

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I also have read bible and qur'an as well, and all I found are horrific stories, some of them not appropriate for children, lots of stuff that not just had small moral value, but on contrary, it was very unmoral by today's standard. (from clear instructions on how to have slave to something as this:

Exodus 21:7 "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do."

Please, enlighten us and reveal what they really meant by given verse...

I got it, you get fuzzy feeling reading bible by picking parts you like... where I mediate about how many kids really got sold like this thanks to 'clear god's instruction'...

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar"as opposed to living for decades" i never got that memo. I came across the info of moses through a vision i was givin of moses's inner child. he was nerveous about going to a place where everyone would be against him. He was speaking with an angel about what to do and was reassured that he would get it right and to use his knowledge of nature to guide him. There is nothing that says you have to accept my vision i just like to tell it like it is. As far as i know Adam and Eve would have lived forever if not for satan coming in the form of a snake to lead them astray from the plan by eating forbiddin fruit. That seems to be the story everytime i have read it. my first guess would be that it was sex that was introduced in the garden and that the serpent was adam's snake. That would put the struggle internally making the adversary just another part of adam but that is just me taking mental leaps and not sure i believe that. If you take into account that we are part plant and part animal then much of the bible takes a different meaning.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: peter vlar"as opposed to living for decades" i never got that memo.

The memo was called Genesis, it's the first book of the Pentateuch. Did eve die right away? no, they lived on and had offspring after being exiled from Eden did they not? Well, at least according to Judaic texts that's what happened.

I came across the info of moses through a vision i was givin of moses's inner child. he was nerveous about going to a place where everyone would be against him. He was speaking with an angel about what to do and was reassured that he would get it right and to use his knowledge of nature to guide him. There is nothing that says you have to accept my vision i just like to tell it like it is.

aside from still not understanding how this made Moses an expert in herpetology because you haven't explained it, I really don't know how to respond to your vision quest. I can discuss or refute aspects of biblical text but when you throw out something like that...

As far as i know Adam and Eve would have lived forever

Based on what scripture?

if not for satan coming in the form of a snake to lead them astray from the plan by eating forbiddin fruit. That seems to be the story everytime i have read it.

but Satan wasn't the snake nor was Satan mentioned anywhere in the creation storyso its Catholic rebranding of scripture.

my first guess would be that it was sex that was introduced in the garden and that the serpent was adam's snake. That would put the struggle internally making the adversary just another part of adam but that is just me taking mental leaps and not sure i believe that.

twice in one post I'm left speechless...

If you take into account that we are part plant and part animal then much of the bible takes a different meaning.

no, I don't think I'll take that into account. It seems as if every Christian I ever talk about these things with comes up with their own revisionist version of scripture to fit square pegs into round holes and rationalize all the various contradictions and incongruities within the text.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join