It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Dinosaurs Walk Among Humans in the Days of the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Did the Leviathan and the Behemoth actually exist?
In the Tanakh, or the Old Testament, the Leviathan (meaning twisted and coiled) is described as a huge serpent-like creature, which could make the most fearless warrior piss in their pants.

Some creationists believe that the Leviathan was in fact a Kronosaurus, an aquatic dinosaur.

Other theories range from the Leviathan being a Megalodon (pictured below), to a Plesiosaur.

In my personal opinion, I think it might have been an ancient ancestor of a snake or possibly an alligator.

On August 22, 2013, a horned "Sea Monster" washed ashore in Spain: See Article Here

The Behemoth is another biblical myth, described as a large creature with a description of what could be a crocodile, alligator, or elephant.

Many creationists believe that the Behemoth is not a myth, but was in fact a Sauropod.

But, hey, honestly the description of it makes it sound like Godzilla!

So, my question is, what do you guys think about this? Do you think it was real? Do you think that it's still alive today, or maybe it's ancestors are alive today? Comment below with any info or opinions you have on this matter.[size]
edit on 6/15/2014 by TheBlueShiroux because: Took out some excerpts.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The Leviathan is mentioned six times in the Tanakh, with Job 41:1–34 being dedicated to describing him in detail:

1 Can you pull in the leviathan with a fishhook or tie down his tongue with a rope?
2 Can you put a cord through his nose or pierce his jaw with a hook?
3 Will he keep begging you for mercy? Will he speak to you with gentle words?
4 Will he make an agreement with you for you to take him as your slave for life?
5 Can you make a pet of him like a bird or put him on a leash for your girls?
6 Will traders barter for him? Will they divide him up among the merchants?
7 Can you fill his hide with harpoons or his head with fishing spears?
8 If you lay a hand on him, you will remember the struggle and never do it again!
9 Any hope of subduing him is false; the mere sight of him is overpowering.
10 No-one is fierce enough to rouse him. Who then is able to stand against me?
11 Who has a claim against me that I must pay? Everything under heaven belongs to me.
12 I will not fail to speak of his limbs, his strength and his graceful form.
13 Who can strip off his outer coat? Who would approach him with a bridle?
14 Who dares open the doors of his mouth, ringed about with his fearsome teeth?
15 His back has rows of shields tightly sealed together;
16 Each is so close to the next that no air can pass between.
17 They are joined fast to one another; they cling together and cannot be parted.
18 His snorting throws out flashes of light; his eyes are like the rays of dawn.
19 Firebrands stream from his mouth; sparks of fire shoot out.
20 Smoke pours from his nostrils as from a boiling pot over a fire of reeds.
21 His breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from his mouth.
22 Strength resides in his neck; dismay goes before him.
23 The folds of his flesh are tightly joined; they are firm and immovable.
24 His chest is hard as rock, hard as a lower millstone.
25 When he rises up, the mighty are terrified; they retreat before his thrashing.
26 The sword that reaches him has no effect, nor does the spear or the dart or the javelin.
27 Iron he treats like straw and bronze like rotten wood.
28 Arrows do not make him flee, sling stones are like chaff to him.
29 A club seems to him but a piece of straw, he laughs at the rattling of the lance.
30 His undersides are jagged potsherds, leaving a trail in the mud like a threshing-sledge.
31 He makes the depths churn like a boiling cauldron and stirs up the sea like a pot of ointment.
32 Behind him he leaves a glistening wake; one would think the deep had white hair.
33 Nothing on earth is his equal—a creature without fear.
34 He looks down on all that are haughty; he is king over all that are proud.

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

No.

NEXT!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Lol your right, of course. But way to expound hehe.

IMHO this was early mans attemp to explain dinosaur fossils. Which is prob the same place we get the legend of all the big monsters. Dragons, giant lizards, centaurs, behemoth all were from some farmer finding say a t-Rex skull. They would have thought the animal had just died was even bigger than it was because" it's bones are made of stone!" They didn't know about fossils back then so to them they were really heavy bones.
edit on 15-6-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

No.

NEXT!

Seconded.

NEXT!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBlueShiroux

Imagine finding a 500 lb brontosaurus femur as hard as stone. How would you describe the creature it came from?... Easy a behemoth!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yes, I do believe the Bible is referring to dinosaurs or a relative thereof. As usual, my beliefs are not the popular ones. I have come to terms with that. This makes it easy for me. I don't have to sit here and present 9000 reasons why I believe this and you should too. I just simply do. Whether you do or not...is on you. I find it way too exhausting to expound further.

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
- Joseph Dunninger

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Bill Hicks - Dinosaurs

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

They discovered Dinosaurs bones and made their own assumptions based on the evidence found. That giant beasts walked the earth before we did.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Posts like this are living proof of scientific illiteracy.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE
a reply to: GetHyped

Lol your right, of course. But way to expound hehe.

IMHO this was early mans attemp to explain dinosaur fossils. Which is prob the same place we get the legend of all the big monsters. Dragons, giant lizards, centaurs, behemoth all were from some farmer finding say a t-Rex skull. They would have thought the animal had just died was even bigger than it was because" it's bones are made of stone!" They didn't know about fossils back then so to them they were really heavy bones.

Did they even know what fossils were?

"Big bone. Eat? OW! No eat. Too hard. Maybe club? Yes, good club. Kill bird. Eat bird. Bird not bone. Bird good. Um nom nom."

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The leviathan was probably a whale of some sort, maybe a big shark. The Bible also mentions unicorns, let's not forget. In that case they were probably talking about rhinoceros. Some things get lost in translation.

It is not even remotely possible that dinosaurs roamed the earth as late as the Bronze Age. It'd be really neat to be able to believe that, but there is zero evidence of anything of the sort, just vague and spurious scriptural interpretations from Young Earthers.

Frankly I think that they unwittingly do a great disservice to Christianity as a whole. Not all Christians believe that nonsense.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

The people who recorded the Old Testament weren't cavemen, no more so than Isocrates, who you are keen to quote in your sig. They were part of a civilization just as he was and were sophisticated enough to be literate, which would have been incredibly rare at the time.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monger

The people who recorded the Old Testament weren't cavemen, no more so than Isocrates, who you are keen to quote in your sig. They were part of a civilization just as he was and were sophisticated enough to be literate, which would have been incredibly rare at the time.

It's funny how completely you overlooked the point of my post. Go back and see if you can find it.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

If we just stick to the descriptions of these critters, the answer must be no. The leviathan could be a shark based on the teeth, a whale based on the snorting and scaled fish based on the 'shields' for skin. Putting all of these features into one creature leaves no good suspects.

The behemoth is likewise a slippery critter to identify. It was probably a mythical creature that was lucky enough to be mentioned in a text that outlasted all the others.

I think some members got carried away with the thread title and overlooked the humour in your post.

a reply to: schuyler

Posts like yours perpetuate scientific literacy by ignoring the questions.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

If we just stick to the descriptions of these critters, the answer must be no. The leviathan could be a shark based on the teeth, a whale based on the snorting and scaled fish based on the 'shields' for skin. Putting all of these features into one creature leaves no good suspects.

The behemoth is likewise a slippery critter to identify. It was probably a mythical creature that was lucky enough to be mentioned in a text that outlasted all the others.

I think some members got carried away with the thread title and overlooked the humour in your post.

a reply to: schuyler

Posts like yours perpetuate scientific literacy by ignoring the questions.

I'm still flabbergasted that someone actually felt it was necessary to ask this question.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

LoL it's incredibly rare these days!!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

IMO, dinosaurs walked the earth in Genesis 1:1. By the time of Genesis 1:2 they were destroyed, with all other creatures science relates to man.

Between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 is where Lucifer fell, too. The time period between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 are the millions of years man is confused by today. IMO.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlueShiroux
Did the Leviathan and the Behemoth actually exist?
In the Tanakh, or the Old Testament, the Leviathan (meaning twisted and coiled) is described as a huge serpent-like creature, which could make the most fearless warrior piss in their pants.

Some creationists believe that the Leviathan was in fact a Kronosaurus, an aquatic dinosaur.

Other theories range from the Leviathan being a Megalodon (pictured below), to a Plesiosaur.

In my personal opinion, I think it might have been an ancient ancestor of a snake or possibly an alligator.

On August 22, 2013, a horned "Sea Monster" washed ashore in Spain: See Article Here

The Behemoth is another biblical myth, described as a large creature with a description of what could be a crocodile, alligator, or elephant.

Many creationists believe that the Behemoth is not a myth, but was in fact a Sauropod.

But, hey, honestly the description of it makes it sound like Godzilla!

So, my question is, what do you guys think about this? Do you think it was real? Do you think that it's still alive today, or maybe it's ancestors are alive today? Comment below with any info or opinions you have on this matter.[size]

easy. God took Job in the spirit back to the days that dinos existed. Humans did not exist at the same time as dinos even in the bible. Though the angels did wrestle with them for sport. The dino that Job describes has a tail like a cedar of lebanon. he was no elephant nor a piggy tailed hippo as some bible critics contend. and a hippo certainly could not eat the tops of trees nor go into the mountains as the relevant verses contend. some relation of an apotosaurus most likely. but Job was not actually physically present with a dino. It isn't possible unless you are into cryptozoology and think of mkole mkembe.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

The leviathan was probably a whale of some sort, maybe a big shark. The Bible also mentions unicorns, let's not forget. In that case they were probably talking about rhinoceros. Some things get lost in translation.

It is not even remotely possible that dinosaurs roamed the earth as late as the Bronze Age. It'd be really neat to be able to believe that, but there is zero evidence of anything of the sort, just vague and spurious scriptural interpretations from Young Earthers.

Frankly I think that they unwittingly do a great disservice to Christianity as a whole. Not all Christians believe that nonsense.
not really. unicorn was a mistranslation.
probably helped along by some of the popular latin vulgate versions of the bible. modern scholars refute the unicorn in the bible thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join