It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's not racism, it's Peniaphobia and Scelerophobia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Peniaphobia: Fear of Poverty

Scelerophobia: Fear of Criminals

I`d like to make the claim that most cases of "Racism" have nothing to do with skin-color, race or ethnicity and that we have been mis-labeling and misunderstanding this whole thing. I've read the arguments by self-proclaimed racists and what they seem to hate is not a certain color of skin, but certain conditions: Crime and Poverty. They may associate these conditions with darker skin color, but peoples looks are not the primary concerns. Is it a coincidence that many of these racists live or have lived in high-crime areas? I think not. If you are surrounded by crime, you`ll start looking for a scapegoat.

Case in point: I know this guy who called himself a "white supremacist". He liked writing on hate-blogs against blacks. Then, one sunshiny day, he met this stunningly good looking black woman. She was well-educated, rich and so good looking that she instantly wiped out all of his preconceptions. He fell in love with her. Then he married her.They had kids. He was never heard of again on racist blogs. How is that possible? Well, in his mind he was holding an image of black people being hideous savages. He was peniaphobe and scelerophobe. But having met a black woman who was none of that, healed him in an instant.

The same goes for so-called "Xenophobes". Its a mis-label. I have tested supposed "xenophobes" on internet boards. They`ll rant about there being too many immigrants and illegals and foreigners, but if you test them more closely you find they have nothing against immigrants. They are really afraid of is poverty and crime. I asked one: So you have a problem if Norwegians, Germans, Irish and Swedish immigrants come here? He didnt. He had to correct his stance: "Well, I`m actually talking about people from Somalia, or Muslims for example". So he is not a xenophobe, not anti-immigration. He is anti-poverty. Then I presented him with pictures of a Muslim royal family. And he had to correct his stance again: "Well, Im talking more about religious fanatics, not about royal families". So I presented him with links to examples of white terrorists. And he conceded: "I don't like them either". Bottom line: Its fear of crime, terrorism and poverty, not fear of a specific race, religion or culture. What he was doing in his mind is to link terrorism to certain skin color. But when quizzed on it, it turned out that its not the skin color, its the behavior he was concerned about. When looking for someone to project anger onto, they were an easy target.

There are only very few real racists who truly believe that all people of a certain race inferior, evil or stupid. Its difficult to uphold such a position. Look at North and South Korea for example: Same genes, same race, same IQ, but one side lives in poverty while the other side is rich. The difference is not in race or genes, its in the upbringing. Nowhere is this more obvious than on the Korean peninsula.

The solution to racism is not through Government regulation but rather through increasing the overall standard of living. It`s pretty obvious that countries that are well-off and have low crime rates hardly have any racism at all. If you're well fed and happy you don't go projecting your inner misgivings onto others and you don't go looking for scapegoats. So let's continue to increase the living standards for whites, blacks, mexicans, asians, arabs, etc., as we have been for the last couple of hundred years and this whole issue of race will eventually become a non-issue.

I say its mostly not racism, its hate or fear of poverty and crime. And I also say its solved when we learn how to increase our living standard and quality of life.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
My fear isn't of crime or racism per se, but that by having these two things increase, the government will use them as excuses to take more away from me in the form of taxes, regulation, restrictive laws, etc.

Ending poverty and ending racism/discrimination are two excuses often used to justify a lot of things that either increase taxes to pay for ever more social programs that don't actually do what they're intended to (War of Poverty anyone?) and end up taking away people's personal liberties.

I don't want to see us continue to endorse policies that seem to only make those problems worse.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I do indeed agree with what you have said, yet its really not just about the standards of living but also about how the media portrays these people and creates stereotypes and scapegoats of said people. If standards went up around the world, media perception would change yet it would slow down these efforts:

When looking for someone to project anger onto, they were an easy target.

Msm loves to feed these flames and I also think that if we suggest a certain type of people are more likely to do a certain action, we do in fact encourage them to do this action even though they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

"the kind of mentality of i'll be hated if i do i'll be hated if I don't" causes many to act the way they do.
-If we got rid of bad perceptions of certain races and peoples maybe we could end this.
edit on 1562014 by DodgyDawg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
An interesting read. I stand here dumbfounded on what I want to say.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
I stand here dumbfounded on what I want to say.

I forgot to build in a distinct political bias (left or right), so there really isn't that much to say. I've noticed that when you build in a bias then a thread goes on for hundreds of pages and pissing matches and people suddenly have a whole lot to say.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It hasn't been about color for a long time, for most anyway.

We need a new phobia.

how about NWOphopia

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

We need a new phobia.

I`m actually an Arachnophobe. I discriminate against giant spiders. If there is one sitting near me in a restaurant, I go to another table. I refuse to have sexual intercourse with giant spiders. I wouldnt go so far to seek to eradicate them, I am not genocidal, but I do treat them unfairly and with lots of prejudice. I`ve bought into stereotypes that see them as dangerous and ugly.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Skyfloating

This is a very great and important piece of writing and ideas. But I guess I just wanted to say this; your point seems to be assuming there is no objective validity for a person to be racist, thus making all racism irrational, or equally subjective/opinion/feeling. And as we know feelings and opinions and beliefs dont have to be grounded or proven in reality in order for them to be held and followed by a person. So when you say 'its not racism', its Peniaphobia nd scelerophobia, I would say that to an outsider of the activity, it is racism, because a person who sees Peniaphobia nd Scelerophobia and hears about it, of a certain race more prevalently, will then view or conceptualize that all or most of the race exists and acts like that, that their awareness of the race is taken by that sample size, and they use it to just say a majority wins sort of thing and discriminate or lack of discrimination which leads to an overwhelming intolerance of the whole race. So I suppose im saying, I suppose it is racism when those two phobias are used in a logically fallible way to pre judge someone of a race because your view of people of that race has been provided by a small sample size in which you have deemed an amount of qualities negative.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Interesting theory. It could very well be true when discussing middle and upper class forms of racism. It doesn't really work when you look at the lower socio-economic group of whites. I have known the type of people one would classify as "white trash", i.e., poor, uneducated whites who only "loosely" follow the laws. Those guys tend to hate on other races worse than the middle and upper class do. I guess they just need to have someone lower on the totem pole than themselves...
edit on 15-6-2014 by kaylaluv because: spelling

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

So I suppose im saying, I suppose it is racism when those two phobias are used in a logically fallible way to pre judge someone of a race because your view of people of that race has been provided by a small sample size in which you have deemed an amount of qualities negative.

My head is spinning. This reads complicated.

Sure, its racism because crime/poverty is associated with dark skinned people. But racism is the secondary consideration. The primary consideration is poverty/crime. When the racist chances upon someone rich or ethical (non criminal), his racism becomes instantly non-existent...until he is back home again reading racist blogs.

Or at least, thats what I am proposing.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Interesting theory. It could very well be true when discussing middle and upper class forms of racism. It doesn't really work when you look at the lower socio-economic group of whites. I have known the type of people one would classify as "white trash", i.e., poor, uneducated whites who only "loosely" follow the laws. Those guys tend to hate on other races worse than the middle and upper class do. I guess they just need to have someone lower on the totem pole than themselves...

I´d have to agree that the racist motive of poor/criminal whites (if and when they are racist) is probably a little different.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

OH that's crazy, I am agoraphobic, so they say

www.mayoclinic.org...

For people to say someone is homophobic or Islamophobic, really is the wrong term altogether,

edit on 103030p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The council estate where I'm from there is hardly no racism

White, black, brown yellow, or whatever

Everyone is in the same boat

Being poor knows no race
edit on 15 6 2014 by Thefarmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

You are kidding? right?

I have mentioned often times before that I live in the inner city mixed neighborhood, we are "all" poor here,
However i clean homes of upper middle class white professionals, one has the picture of Obama in her house, yet I have invited her many times to my house to look at my jewelry i sell, she wont come,they wont step foot in my neighborhood, neither will some of my upper middle class white friends,

whose got the phobia?
edit on 113030p://bSunday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I live in a middle class suburb in the London commuter zone, it is probably 8/10 on the scale of desirability and compared to a lot of the UK and other places in the world, it is a pretty good place to live.

I do resent unsustainable immigration here though, the infrastructure cannot cope, there is a lack of housing fueling unscrupulous landlords and rental prices far higher than the average mortgages for places that aren't worth half of the amount charged, the NHS has been deliberately and systematically abused by NHS tourists, often from Pakistan, they invite their ill relatives here just for free operations and treatment, and those from the EU and elsewhere that work here but claim tax credits for children that reside in their native lands or spouse allowances for spouses that have never set foot in the UK. Such blatant misuse of our tax payers resources has sucked the country dry. Governments should be doing all they can to sort it.

Additionally, crime rates are high for certain groups, there were certain EU gangs that went around stripping all the lead from buildings, Albanians that went on a sword wielding gang rampage in a town centre, Somalis involved in other criminal activity, 'Trojan Horse' madrasa rule in schools, and added to that, the UK is a hotbed of al qaeda recruitment and that extremists bombed a few trains and buses in London.

Considering the bigger picture of immigration globally, most of those that arrive at our shores claiming asylum aren't the worst off, the neediest of their own lands, they are those that had the means to do so, which in most instances involved affiliation to criminal gangs, paying off some corrupt officials or gangs just to make the list, often remaining affiliated to such gangs afterwards, many have been found as illegal immigrants that are part of gang controlled slavery or prostitution. The best way of combatting this is to stop immigration unless they have secure jobs and long term means to pay, like other nations require. Opening the floodgates to the worlds gangs and corruption has to stop. Close those doors.

As for international charity, most of it as we now know, was siphoned off by corrupt governments, officials and gangs and never got to where it was intended. The answer has to be to stop it. Only allow any charity if it is properly monitored and accounted for every step of the way and continually monitored afterwards.

There is natural wariness of that which is an unknown quantity. It is human nature.
edit on 15-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating

Case in point: I know this guy who called himself a "white supremacist". He liked writing on hate-blogs against blacks. Then, one sunshiny day, he met this stunningly good looking black woman. She was well-educated, rich and so good looking that she instantly wiped out all of his preconceptions. He fell in love with her. Then he married her.They had kids. He was never heard of again on racist blogs. How is that possible? Well, in his mind he was holding an image of black people being hideous savages. He was peniaphobe and scelerophobe. But having met a black woman who was none of that, healed him in an instant.

It's a shame it took a situation such as this to erase his preconceived generalizations.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
I do resent unsustainable immigration here though, the infrastructure cannot cope...

...and judging from your post, its based on crime and poverty concerns.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I would say it is resentment based on allowing international criminal activity, corruption and misuse of the nations resources.

Direct fear of crime or poverty are considerations for all.
edit on 15-6-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Yes I agree with what you are proposing. All I was saying is that, you say ;its not racism, and im saying, when people do use those phobias to justify discriminating against all or most people of a race, that is what racism is.

It seems you are saying racism doesnt exist because there is no logically objective reason for it to exist, therefore the people who have this illusion of being racist, are doing so illogically, or wrongly.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImaFungi

Yes I agree with what you are proposing. All I was saying is that, you say ;its not racism, and im saying, when people do use those phobias to justify discriminating against all or most people of a race, that is what racism is.

It seems you are saying racism doesnt exist because there is no logically objective reason for it to exist, therefore the people who have this illusion of being racist, are doing so illogically, or wrongly.

Precisely. I see what you're saying. And I also see what you are saying about what I am saying is what I am saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join