It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Ways To Calm The Overactive Mind for Meditation/Sleep

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Do you have trouble going to sleep, or just relaxing your mind to meditate?
This article gives you 12 ways to get rid of all the junk that invades our thoughts and keep us up at night, or prevents us from successful meditation.

An overactive mind is a sign of imbalance, but this can be corrected. First, you must want to see the change within yourself in order for this to happen.

If your body needs rest, then so does your mind. If your mind is constantly processing activities, events and possible scenarios, it will resist sleep by continuing this process, despite your body telling you that you are tired. This is why it is so important to listen to your body. By eliminating the clutter, you will find that in the worst case scenario, you will continue using your overactive mind in a positive way without fear or the need to control others.

You can also increase your sense of intuition, have an easier time falling asleep, and your dreams will become more prophetic.

Try these steps to calm your overactive mind:
themindunleashed.org...

1. Eliminate the clutter

The easiest way is to eliminate the clutter. What are the themes to your overactive thoughts? Many of these thoughts are related to money issues and our economic subservience to the system of control. Perhaps it’s time for a change in jobs or to find a job that you truly love to do? The easiest way to determine this is to ask yourself, “If there was no such thing as money, then what would I be doing with my life?”

2. Stop watching TV

The television is the biggest form of mind control and plays a large part on what we think and how we perceive life. In the United States, the entire mainstream media (TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, text books, etc…) is owned by 6 corporations, all of which have Zionist connections. Is it remotely possible that there is an agenda behind their “programming”?

3. Meditate

There are many different styles of meditation, so one should experiment with as many as possible and either find a method that is conducive to eliminating the clutter or to create one where they are able to find that “inner peace”.

4. Remove the ego

Many people will live their entire lives never knowing who they truly are while pretending to be what society expects them to be. Once again, these irrational thoughts are reinforced by the mainstream media. Ultimately, we are spiritual beings having a human experience and our bodies are just shells for our souls. Once you begin to accept this concept, you will then begin to realize how we are all connected.

5. Your body is your temple

Diets that are high in sugar and caffeine content may affect your thought processes. Be conscious about what you are eating and drinking because these all play into your vibratory level and will in turn, affect how you think or what you’re thinking about.

Most importantly, listen to your body. If you are experiencing heartburn, then eat more high alkaline foods instead of taking an antacid. On your day off, if you are tired, take a nap no matter what time of the day it is. Your body will always tell you when it is out of synch, so listen to it!

6. Exercise

They say a healthy body is a healthy mind, so if you are physically able to, then find ways to integrate exercise into your daily routine.

7. Escape time

On your day(s) off, learn how to escape time. Time keeps us locked into the constructs of the “work week” so on your day off, don’t look at your cell phone, don’t watch TV (TV is all scheduled on “time”) and just “wing it” in regard to any activities for that day. Try not to place any time constraints on this particular day’s activities.

8. Have fun!

Start doing things that you truly enjoy to do. Let your mind focus on fun instead of trivial items that are out of your ability to control. You’ll find that your thought patterns will change drastically when you are doing things you enjoy

9. Release the need to control everything

Many people with overactive minds have the need to remain in control of most everything in their lives. it is very difficult for a controlling person to relinquish control because they might feel that if they do not have control over their circumstances, then they have no control over themselves, which is not true. Events will come and go whether you control them or not. All you need to be is responsible for your own actions. When you begin to start controlling other people, you are creating more things to be concerned about which in turn will feed the overactive mind.

10. Start a journal and/or dream diary

One way to release the constant flow of thoughts is to start a journal or dream diary. By simply putting it in writing, you can provide yourself with a simple outlet to help eliminate the clutter in your mind.

11. Live in the “now”

The overactive mind is constantly thinking about the past or future. By living in the now you will be able to release that of which you cannot control. This doesn’t mean that you instantly become unaware of what has happened or what is about to happen. It is more of a realization that the past cannot change and the future hasn’t occurred, so why waste time thinking about either?

12. Connect with nature

Find the time to connect with nature, whether it’s taking a long walk in the woods or at the beach or where ever brings you inner peace while being immersed in nature.

You can read more on each of these 12 tips from the source link.

edit on 6/15/2014 by sled735 because: add pic

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: sled735

The importance of this thread cannot be overstated IMO, so thanks, S&F.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Great and very helpful thread S&F

I'd also add petting your pets.
That relaxes me a lot.

Oh, and soft classical music. (Chopin)

edit on 15/6/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
S&F from me too. This is a problem for me so thanks for the article.

Mura

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Or count sheep...No, i'm not joking

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
Great and very helpful thread S&F

I'd also add petting your pets.
That relaxes me a lot.

Oh, and soft classical music.

Those are some great points. I think they should be added to the list, as well.

Great thread, Sled! Sometimes I need to clear my mind to go to sleep. I think the one about not watching t.v. is great advice, for sure.

S&F

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Counting sheep has never helped me relax.

I always end up giving them names, personalities, wondering about their lives, and why they keep jumping over that darn fence.....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Falling asleep and staying asleep is something I've struggled with for years now. Thank you for the thread OP.

I would second RainbowResidue on the pets also. I have 3 dogs 4 cats and 2 chickens and they always make me smile, even on the days when I want to run my truck off a bridge.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue
a reply to: Mianeye

Counting sheep has never helped me relax.

I always end up giving them names, personalities, wondering about their lives, and why they keep jumping over that darn fence.....

Funny you say that....

When I try it the sheep always jump over the fence and just keep going and run through all kinds of pretty scenery before I realize that I've only counted 5 or so.
edit on 15-6-2014 by Cancerwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
There are actually not any sheeps in the counting sheep technique.

You just count from one to ten and you can also add thinking of moving a finger (don't move it).

Start over at ten.

It removes the thought processes that keeps you awake, and before you know it you will sleep.
I have used it for 15 years also under a deep depression, learned it from a magician/illusionist and it has worked 9 out of 10 times.

It might feel a little silly when you start, but after some practice it's an awesome tool.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Great thread...thanks ask for the info....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Drinking lots of beer works for me. A dose of melatonin enhances the dream experience.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Those are some good recommendations for sure, always enjoy your threads, Sled!

I go through periods of insomnia and valerian root, melatonin and B6 have helped me tremendously with falling asleep, and I don't feel groggy in the morning. I tried using sleep aids prior to vitamins and was just too groggy and found it difficult to wake up.

I also write and read before going to bed and have noticed that helps out a lot too.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Star and Flag – great post.

Great and important topic and one that everyone can use. I’m been working on this to inadequate result my entire adult life.

For people with minds like mine, addictive and self-centered, this list of ‘things to do’ is overwhelming. All good ideas, in themselves, but I have to learn to focus on one item at a time and learn how to do that with relative ease before even attempting another. That is one thing I have learn – the importance of learning focus – a soft easy focus, not a forced, rough one.

# 1 on your list is actually a mental function that, I think, would produce more chaos and anxiety in the mind. A familiarity with one’s core issues will come without effort – over time – with the practice of meditation.

# 2 a wonderful suggestion to which I would add turn off the computer. These are both ‘activities’ that promote chaos and clutter in the mind.

#3 By all means. I would recommend starting with something very simple such as Transcendental Meditation or another mantra meditation for beginners for aural learners. Walking meditation for physical learners. For visual learners there the use of a candle or Yantra is good or, and one I still use regularly especially before bed is a device called the EM-WAVE by the Heartmath Institute. It is a small device witch measures heart-rate variability and has a visual that you track with your eyes and match your breathing too. For more information see (I don’t have any financial interest in the company or the associated non-profit)

www.heartmath.com...

I’ve never used their desktop or cloud versions; but have been using the original portable EM-WAVE for about 12 years now and love, it. There is a lot of information about the physiology of meditation on their sites though, to appeal to business-types, they call it coherence.

#4 – this is silly, imo. Just how do you do that? Really – again meditation is a start on being aware of the ego as separate from SELF rather then self.

#5 – Good ideas but a long slow process for those who were not taught this from birth.

#6 – Exercise is pretty easy and doing it mindfully turns it into mediation. The easiest meditate I ever learned was doing times tables while jumping rope.

#7 - Again how?

#8 – This could be seen as contradictory to the Turn off the TV thing, or other addictive activities or substances. I would amend it to say ‘do something fun and collaborative with others” as in play music, sing in a choir, play socor or softball, play board games, go camping. But all must be done for fun and not for ‘winning’ which triggers obsession.

#9 – Another How? First you have to recognize that ‘you’re helping’ is only a mechanism for exerting control on others and surrounding circumstances. Only then can you back away from the fight.

#10 - A wonderful tactic, one I’ve never had much luck with, but it works very well for those who do it consistently and without doing it as though someone will eventually read it. Do it and burn it. Stream of conscious only. It can only be a place for your mind to throw up all it’s crap.

#11 - Great idea but impractical for many. You can bring nature into your home in small ways with rocks, plants (if you can keep them alive LOL – see the film 28 days – LOL)

I’ve missed one here. See too many things, I’ll never be able to do them all and so am a failure……

Ah – living in the now, mindfulness. Again now – now do you start. First you have to recognize that your are in the future or the past and then need a tool to bring you back to now. Hard work, imo.

The tool I use and have for several years. Gratitudes. Not feeling gratitude, but using the things that I know I should be grateful for. When I’m agitated, I know I’m not in the now, I start listing the things that I have, that others don’t. A roof over my head, shoes on my feet, running water, hot running water at that, work, friends, a love of learning,…. You get the idea. I do it in traffic when I find myself angry at another’s driving (trying to control my ‘world), I do it when I’m afraid of XXXXX, I do it when an old hurt comes up to chew on again, I do it when I’m imagining my headache is a brain tumor or some other lurking catastrophe appears in my mind. It isn’t real – none of it.

When ever I’m uncomfortable whatsoever, I start with the gratitudes. The single best thing I’ve learned for all of the above.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for posting your personal suggestions.

If anyone else has a different method that works for you, please share with the rest of us.

edit on 6/15/2014 by sled735 because: correction

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Gosh, I'm on a roll today.

I use ATS as a means of practice. Practice at not getting sucked into anger over what someone else says or replies to what I've written (not always successfully - that's the whole point of practice). To practice writing in an environment without terrible consequences if I get it wrong. To practice patience and tolerance towards those I want to judge - boy howdy do I get a lot of practice. Judging being another face of control. Practise listening and hearing; a being precise in my meanings.

Good place for much patience this ATS thingy.

A TWFAA recommended in another thread - Confront Ignorance don't deny it. I would say - confront ignorance in ourselves 'cause you've got to see it to fix it. (a collorlary - if you see it in another - you've got it)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

To practice patience and tolerance towards those I want to judge - boy howdy do I get a lot of practice.

I hear you! Same here. Lots and lots of practice!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: sled735
Thank you to everyone for posting your personal suggestions.

If anyone else has a different method that works for you, please share with the rest of us.

Drinking brown liquor with your lover, dancing wildly and exuberantly in the yard to the Stones, making love as passionately and focused as possible....saying a prayer of thanks....blessed, contented, sleep is assured.

Redneck meditation!
edit on 15-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Your method sounds like more fun.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

"Drinking brown liquor with your lover, dancing wildly and exuberantly in the yard to the Stones, making love as passionately and focused as possible....saying a prayer of thanks....blessed, contented, sleep is assured.

Redneck meditation!"
We are the same page. Good to know there are kindred spirits.

edit on 15-6-2014 by skunkape23 because: correction

top topics

<<   2 >>

join