It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone Knocked Down at Staples Center

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I just saw this video and got a good laugh from it. So I decided to share .

A small drone with a camera is hovering above the crowd at the Staple's Center during the "Kings" Stanley Cup Finals celebration. The crowd begins to throw things at it and the drone comes crashing to the ground where it was smashed by a skateboard.

Enjoy

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Criminal Mischief???

Why did the drone go lower? if there was a camera on it, I wonder if it was LIVE and the operator was just plain ignorant, I would have just moved it away.

Not like this drone had hellfires armed beneath it......

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicWand67

A celebration pinata for us Kings fans!

edit on 14-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I'd laugh a bit more perhaps, if we weren't watching several thousand dollars of what was likely someone's personal property being crashed and destroyed. God knows how much camera equipment might have been in the lower mount.

Hell.. It's funny to ruin other people's stuff tho! WooHoo!

** I'm assuming private property....because I cannot fathom actual media being that stupid with high dollar equipment.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

These surveillance drones don't bother you at all?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Here's a short article on it. Still unknown who owned the drone.

Link

A drone was apparently monitoring the crowd—the video claims it was an LAPD drone—but they weren’t having it. In this Instagram video, you can see the drone buzzing around, as L.A. Kings fans throw things at it.

“Someone get it,” a voice rings out.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

A drone was apparently monitoring the crowd—the video claims it was an LAPD drone—but they weren’t having it. In this Instagram video, you can see the drone buzzing around, as L.A. Kings fans throw things at it.

“Someone get it,” a voice rings out.

Good! I don't want to be spied on by unidentified drones either. I really can't feel sorry for someone else's "personal property" in this case.

Here's the part of the article that speaks to me:

When someone finally knocks it out of the air with a t-shirt, the response is jubilant. They’ve scored one for freedom and privacy.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Criminal Mischief???

Why did the drone go lower? if there was a camera on it, I wonder if it was LIVE and the operator was just plain ignorant, I would have just moved it away.

Not like this drone had hellfires armed beneath it......

Good questions ....

The drone operator definitely made a fatal mistake by hovering so low.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

You call that a surveillance drone???? A stark WHITE camera quad is a surveillance drone??? What cheesy little two bit Mayberry Police Department or Agency would be using THAT piece of crap?

Now the quads are NICE ...for a consumer. They are fairly good for a corporate customer. They are crap on a cracker from the perspective of Government or Police and sure as heck, not a nice BRIGHT white to show up against ANY background.

It doesn't even make sense for media, because media wants to cover the story...not BE the story..and you couldn't have THAT thing over a field or crowd without, as this one did, becoming the whole center of attention.

I very nearly bought a couple of these a few years back when I had money to play with and was looking at a little aerial survey business.

They were $5,000 to $8,000 for the base unit when I was looking then with both flight beyond L.O.S. capability and automated hover mode for stability in photography or filming.

These aren't Government units unless we've become a 3rd world nation....and they are celebrating destroying someone's very expensive equipment. Just my thoughts...but I don't see the amusement in criminal mischief.

edit on 6/14/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I wonder if it was a privately owned drone could the owner be charged with "endangerment"?

What if the drone crashed into a person and caused bodily injury?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Actually.. THAT is a very good point.

Bringing it down over a crowd was insane..and you can see by my photo above, a little better, what size those are in relation to a full grown adult.

However., You're absolutely right. Flying it ABOVE a crowd like that was sheer stupidity..and who knows? May qualify as a criminal degree of being reckless. After all, how would it feel to take one of the quads spinning right in the face, if it came down sideways and you didn't move quick enough?

Indeed.... The owner should probably answer a few questions himself.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Just don't poke your drones in a crowd of people who are probably still tipsy from the hockey game and you have nothing to worry about! Here's a lesson we can all learn from--don't take your drones and shove them in peoples' personal space if you want them to continue functioning.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I'll eat my hat if that was actually LAPD... anyone have anything solid on that?

Jeeze... I've lost all faith in that department..if that was professionally flown right over a crowd trying to actively bring it down right onto their own heads

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

These surveillance drones don't bother you at all?

What's the difference between the floating camera and the hundreds of cellphones taking video at the same time?
One flies?

If it were being used in secret etc, i'd have a little more problem with it but this is filming a group in public.

/devils advocate

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

As far as I know it is just speculation as to the owner.

Personally I think it was an amateur at the controls.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

yeah.. I may have a hat to eat.... I just found where those damn idiots got two X-6 Quad units. Just like that one.

I'll get back when I have more nailed down.. Someone in the P.D. might be in deep crap if that WAS theirs..and I'm saying that for a reason in what I'm reading. I won't leave ya hanging..I just want to be positive.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

Ever seen someone freak out when they notice you're filming them? Expect similar reactions, expect similar results. I would expect a punch in the mouth if I started filming some strangers close up. In my opinion, it's a violation of privacy and personal space.

You can confront someone operating a cell phone and ask them to stop. You can't confront someone operating a drone--you can confront the drone.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Okay, take it for what you will, but the LAPD had two X-6 Quad drones transfered to them by the Seattle P.D. as reported on June 4th.

Last week, the Los Angeles police department announced a new acquisition: two Draganflyer X6 drones, small hexacopters about three feet wide and capable of being outfitted with a range of sophisticated cameras. This makes the LAPD the largest municipal police department in the country known to possess unmanned aerial vehicles for surveillance or tactical uses.

there is a hitch tho....and why I say, no way should that have happened if that was police.

“They are currently in the custody of a Federal Law Enforcement Agency pending review by the LAPD and the Board of Police Commissioners, as well as the public," continued the statement, which referred not to drones but used the industry-preferred term, unmanned aerial vehicles. The review, it said, would only consider "narrow and prescribed uses" to prevent "imminent bodily harm, for example, a hostage situation or barricaded armed suspect.”
Source

According to that, they got their toys 2-3 weeks ago, and still in federal holding 2 weeks ago. This JUST happened...so if the statements are right.. (sigh).. They would have had two drones which could have looked very much like that one. They would have JUST gotten them...so not very skilled flying them yet ...and I know they say NOT outside emergencies? Since when did boys with new toys always follow directions?

Here is a much closer look at the X-6 as operated by the Orange County (Florida) Sheriff's Office.

(They are cheesy beyond belief using these..but to read closer, they started as a grant from the feds...not a purchase the departments chose to make)

edit on 6/14/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: Bad Bunny..forgot to source the article

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I can see police departments using this for crowd control monitoring.

Police can see when a fight breaks out or if anyone is causing vandalism.

Whoever owns the drone I think it's reckless to fly above crowds.

I don't like it. So no sympathy for the owner from me.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
the drone in this video looks more like a DJI Phantom, often fitted with small action cameras such as a Go Pro that retail for well under $1000 and used by hobbyists

EXTERNAL IMAGE

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join