It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps for organic food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I am not American,but I heard about many Americans mentioned food stamps....
So,can people buy 100% organic food in a month from food stamps?
(Not grow by seeds)

I checked the "Food stamps" page of wiki already ,I didn't see the wiki page mentioned organic food............

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: candlestick

I've seen people buying organic produce with EBT cards. I'd rather see someone buy organic produce than cookies and processed crap.
Sadly, I've seen people buying a dozen boxes of Hot Pockets with their EBTS.

So, to answer your question, YES, you can buy organic food with EBT cards.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

The food stamps wouldn't stretch very far going organic due to the high cost, however, people can also use food stamps to buy seeds and things used to grow their own food.
A lot of people are not aware of that fact though,
or just don't care.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Thank for the answer...But I think what I am asking is "can people survive by food stamps bought organic food only ?"
edit on 14-6-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I've seen people buying organic produce with EBT cards. I'd rather see someone buy organic produce than cookies and processed crap.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: ColeYounger

This part of the food stamp system should be abolished. They're on food stamps as a life line to survive until they find a job. To allow them to purchase junk food using food stamps is beyond me. The other side of the coin, they're not allowed to purchase laundry detergent, toilet paper, or hygiene products. I would think those things are more of a necessity than junk food, soda and processed junk food.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Agreed!
The nice thing about buying "real" food is, it actually fills you up until the next meal.
You can't really get that from Hot pockets and mcdonalds.
So less organic actually goes further than more processed junk.
Ever since I stopped eating from bags and boxes, I can't eat nearly as much as I used to.
I found out that livestock eat from bags and boxes!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick

Thank for the answer...But I think what I am asking "can people survive by food stamps bought organic food only ?"

Now this I do not know, I buy from the local open air farmers market and use cash, I have never noticed anyone using ebt though.
The farmers market is a lot cheaper than "Sprouts" or "Whole Foods".
We usually pay $40-50 for all of the veggies for a week, and there is a lot there.
We feed our dogs with it and still have enough to feed the squirrels pretty well.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: g146541

The general rule for Food Stamps is that you can buy anything that would be considered food as long as it's not heated.

It used to be that Farmers Markets did not allow for payment with an EBT card generally because most farmers in a booth did not have the electronics to run it. It has changed in the last few years and most markets have a booth where you can run your card and get either tokens or vouchers. These can then be used to purchase fresh fruits, veggies, starts and seeds.

The cost is far cheaper for a lot more in part because it cuts out the middle man and the money goes straight to the farmer, which is really part of what food stamps are meant to do.

Penny

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think they ought to be able to buy organic.

People who buy organic food are people who look after their health! Considering the HIGH cost of medical aid I imagine it would work out much less expensive for a government.

Nobody should be allowed to choose what other people eat!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
While we're on the topic of organic vittles, here is the 'Dirty Dozen' list.
This is the produce that many doctors wouldn't even recommend if it's non-organic.
This is the produce that is most likely to absorb pesticide residues.

Peaches
Apples
Sweet bell peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Pears
Grapes (imported)
Spinach
Lettuce
Potatoes

This link has a list of produce that is generally OK if it's non-organic:
Safe non-organic foods

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

They're on food stamps as a life line to survive until they find a job. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many full time working poor use food stamps to supplement their income so they don't have to choose to eat or pay their bills. The minimum wage is $7.25 and who can survive on that? Everyone should be able to eat, poor people included, and I see nothing wrong with people on food stamps buying organic food.

As another member mentioned, it's better than hot pockets and processed foods that will one day put a strain on the health care system due to heart disease, diabetes and all other sorts of problems from eating bad.

edit on 14-6-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: eta

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

This part of the food stamp system should be abolished.

I am currently on a food stamp collection. I buy a lot of fresh produce, organic when I can. It's costly but I've learned how to eat better and tighten my belt at the same time (literally and figuratively.) I also stock up on some dry and canned goods to prepare meals with leftovers that last a day or two. However, I do sometimes buy packaged foods (again, some of the healthier brands that are non-GMO and organic.)

So that brings me to this question: Would you feel better about people buying packaged foods that are non-GMO and organic to supplement with their fresh produce and dry goods? Packaged doesn't necessarily mean "junk food."

I do agree that certain things should not be approved (energy drinks come to mind.) When I worked in grocery I saw people buying a lot of energy drinks with EBT and spending their cash on cigarettes and alcohol. What do they need all that energy for if they're not working?...and yeah, I once saw a woman literally buy a shopping cart full of cookies
edit on 14-6-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: candlestick

Thank for the answer...But I think what I am asking is "can people survive by food stamps bought organic food only ?"

You can buy asparagus for $2.00 a pound or "certified organic" asparagus for $7.00 a pound. But the real point is that people on food stamps are unlikely to buy either, or any vegetables at all. They are more inclined to buy donuts and soda pop along with Hamburger Helper and other processed food. Now someone will claim that "stretches the food dollar," and as long as you count soda pop as one of the basic food groups, I suppose that's true.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You can eat organic food for a few days or hot pockets for a few weeks. The cost is about the same where I live. Sad but true. Here, organic food is a luxury item that never goes on sale but processed frozen foods go on sale for cheap all the time.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

So that brings me to this question: Would you feel better about people buying packaged foods that are non-GMO and organic to supplement with their fresh produce and dry goods? Packaged doesn't necessarily mean "junk food." - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I wouldn't care if they bought the non GMO packaged food. I just think some packaged foods. for example, breaded mozzerella sticks, and other frozen snacks, shouldn't be part of the food stamp program. Anything unhealthy or considered luxury food like lobster shouldn't be paid with food stamps. There are people not on food stamps who can't afford them.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
They are more inclined to buy donuts and soda pop along with Hamburger Helper and other processed food. Now someone will claim that "stretches the food dollar," and as long as you count soda pop as one of the basic food groups, I suppose that's true.

Are you suggesting its the poor who buy all the soda and poor quality foods?
Maybe there's a tiny few that do, but what I see when I'm at the stores; is those who are buying the crates of soda and garbage food, then load all that crap into their cars! How many poor people own a car?

People constantly keep posting this garbage about the poor being irresponsible when it comes to buying food, but on the whole its not true!

One only needs to stand in the car park of any large store and watch what is being loaded into the oversized motors to see just who it is thats buying poor food!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

As another member mentioned, it's better than hot pockets and processed foods that will one day put a strain on the health care system due to heart disease, diabetes and all other sorts of problems from eating bad. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

No, I agree with that. I was thinking more in line of the hot pocket type packaged foods. I also agree the minimum wage is way too low. It's creating a burden on government safety net programs.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

This part of the food stamp system should be abolished. They're on food stamps as a life line to survive until they find a job. To allow them to purchase junk food using food stamps is beyond me. The other side of the coin, they're not allowed to purchase laundry detergent, toilet paper, or hygiene products. I would think those things are more of a necessity than junk food, soda and processed junk food.

Couldn't agree more.
No hygiene products??
Yes let's all spread diseases around.

It really irks me that people who claim to be poor seem to find the extra cash to indulge in junk food.

All the stuff, ALL of it , on the aisle with soda pop, chips, cookies and crackers should be not be allowed to be purchased by food stamps. Maybe then these people might not be so fat and can pull themselves up of the couch and find work. Oh no there are no jobs! Think up your own job then. There are plenty of people who need a bit of work done around their home or yard and willing to pay decent wages if only these lazy asses would show up to do it. Instead you get my car broke down. I have loads of work I need help with, the yard, housecleaning , some painting, light fixtures installation . I'm willing to pay at least $20 an hour for this and I give very generous tips on top of that. They simply cannot show up. Yet they claim to be broke. I eventually hired a kid. Gave him the $20 an hour to do my yard. The kid got $80 that day. Did far more work than adults would. I know people who pay far more than that. Anyways that's another story.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I have watched who is buying this junk food. Yes they all do, but go to the grocery store on welfare day and you see carts loaded with coke, chips, giant ice cream buckets, junk, junk and more junk! The liquor store is very busy on this day as well. Ask any cab driver this.

I've been poor so I'm not being ignorant to it. I didn't buy junk because I couldn't afford it. I would have to take items off like fresh fruit or other more nutritious items. I used to be so poor I was subtotalling at the end, saying ok I won't get this, won't get that. I most certainly could not afford chips and sodas. Not to feed my children anyways. They can have raisins, nuts, apples or carrots cut up for snacks. It wasn't boring to them because they didn't know any better. I've seen these people filling their carts with those lunch-ables. For kids to take to school. Too much effort involved to make a sandwich or some homemade healthy muffins instead. To much effort involved peeling carrots as well. Buy those ready peeled carrot turds soaked in chemicals instead. Pay more if it's easier and they do. There's far too much convenience food these days.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yes you can buy organic with your ebt, problem is that it is way more expensive.

You can get two two-liters of soda, a family size bag of chips, a bag of candy and a frozen pizza for near the same amount that one pays for a gallon of organic milk and a bag of organic oranges. Milk and oranges are great but the problem is they do not quench hunger like a stomach full of processed foods do.

For what a typical family gets a month in food stamps they are left with the choice of either 15-25 cheap daily meals of non-organic crap or maybe ten really good organic breakfast, lunch and dinners. So the choice is feed your family for a week or feed them for more than two....

Also and sadly I do not think that many low income families or even some who are not low income realize just how bad some of the foods they buy their families are. Soda is horrible for you, just one of the worst things you can put into your body and yet people drink it like it is going out of style.

Case in point my brother has ulcers, he gets up and barfs every morning and yet continues to drink a twelve pack of Pepsi everyday because he says he enjoys it. Him and others like him enjoy it enough to take it to their graves.

I believe they have Dietitians to help explain what is bad for you and what is healthy but the problem is that the people getting food stamps just do not want to listen to someone explain to them that what they are eating is wrong. Change, especially changing your whole diet is a hard thing to do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join