It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Greek Sculpture Depicting a Laptop

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am saying that is a laptop.

And the gods of old were the previous cycle of human on earth, but we weren't downgraded or nerfed, with the two hemispheres split the same way.

Earth has had many cycles complete with different models of humans.
edit on 14-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Got to agree it is a jewlery box and I have seen this referenced elsewhere but it is still worthy of a star and flag, the interesting thing is what where they two holes for.
I actually thought of pandora for a second.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Those two holes look like they were a later attempt to repair the broken relief where the thumb is missing?
The sculptors original intent may be lost unless there is some historic documentation.
Looks like a page or chamberlain presenting something new or important in wax?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
yeah right round usb ports, those are ps/2 ports for k/b n mouse /smileyface
edit on 14-6-2014 by suicideeddie because: spelling

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Before I say anything I regret, I think it's time for me to just take a break from ATS and rediscover critical thinking, rationality, and the real world.
edit on 6/14/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: blah

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If they were using Google Chrome, it might explain how their civilization fell.

Maybe she's logging in to ATS.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

They used hinged writing tablets, with 'pages' of wax that they used a stylus to write on. Perhaps that's whats depicted in the relief. Or some other manner of hinged box.

I can say with some certainty that they didn't have laptops. Why does everything from antiquity that sorts of looks like something we use today need to be exactly that, somehow mysteriously transported back through the millennia. Reminds me of the ridiculous Egyptian 'lightbulb.'

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I wonder what their user names are here on ats?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's part of a tombstone so I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for her to log on.

Harte

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

You are right — so in a sense it was a laptop (of its time).

The 'USB ports' are holes later drilled into the stone to accommodate dowels by means of which the sheared-off side of the child's hand could be reattached to the bas-relief.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I really got a kick out of "USB PORTS --> ???"

hahaha!! THAT was PRICELESS!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It's a hinged mirror case to protect the mirror from being scratched. The holes are for mounting the mirror on a wall.
edit on 15-6-2014 by freakwars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I am saying that is a laptop.

And the gods of old were the previous cycle of human on earth, but we weren't downgraded or nerfed, with the two hemispheres split the same way.

Earth has had many cycles complete with different models of humans.

i say nerf the greeks they are clearly overpowered.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Does the internet today compare to a Pandoras box?
I would say in more than enough ways, it does.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Let's be logical here.

What is more likely? That this ancient sculpture is some weird kind of book or case, or that it is a laptop?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Laptops have only a couple of years durability. I doubt the greeks would own these pieces of junk. They had much better: Oracles. And crystal glasses into which they would look and google the secrets of the whole universe.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating
Laptops have only a couple of years durability. I doubt the greeks would own these pieces of junk. They had much better: Oracles. And crystal glasses into which they would look and google the secrets of the whole universe.

I saw you had replied, so I came here fully expecting to see you arguing for laptoppiness.

Pleasantly surprised.

Harte

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte
I saw you had replied, so I came here fully expecting to see you arguing for laptoppiness.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
My first thought was a wax writing tablet and in a way they were the equivalent of today’s emails cheaper than ink on skin / papyrus or paper due to being reusable. They were a convenient and fairly secure way of passing around information as once read they could be instantly deleted and while in transit they would be sealed with a wax seal embossed with the imprint of the senders emblem much like an email address often the seals were carved onto finger rings or seal matrix stamps.

The fact that a child is delivering the message is interesting I imagine peasant kids were the couriers of the day delivering messages around Greek & Roman cities on these little devices you can imagine them scuttling through the bustling streets with a couple of these tablets in a satchel and being paid a couple of low denomination coins (Quadrans) for their efforts.

A bit of a ridiculous premise to this thread but an interesting insight to ancient SMS messaging

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skyfloating

originally posted by: Harte

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Glad to see you have boundaries!

Harte

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join