It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GI Threatens suicide over return to Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Below is an expert as well as a link to the original story from the Connenticut Post Online.

This is really distressing to me as this poor guy will probably be court martialed or sectioned for his refusal to commit any more murders under the guise of "doing the right thing" for Bush and his political ideology. This poor guy would rather kill himself than go back to Iraq......I will try and find out what becomes of this poor chap over the coming weeks, but I hope and pray he finds peace and resists going back tho Iraq at all costs.

As a side question.....is it against the Geneva Convention of Human rights to force a mentally unstable who is contemplating suicide back into active combat?

STRATFORD � A serviceman, apparently distraught over the prospect of being sent back to the war in Iraq, threatened to kill himself as he stood naked and screaming outside his house.

After struggling with officers, the man told police that he was scheduled to be sent back to Iraq in January, but didn't want to because he would be forced to kill more people, police said.

www.connpost.com...

[edit on 1-12-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I feel sorry for this person, as he is obviously troubled enough to threaten suicide. His case needs to be given careful consideration and I hope he recovers soon.

This is really distressing to me as this poor guy will probably be court martialed or sectioned for his refusal to commit any more murders under the guise of "doing the right thing" for Bush and his political ideology.

This is very misleading, as nowhere in the article does it mention these words. This is your interpretation, and it is biased and should not be attributed to the soldier. The soldier may very well have been as troubled if asked to fight rebels in Sudan.

is it against the Geneva Convention of Human rights to force a mentally unstable who is contemplating suicide back into active combat?

I don't think it has to go that far at all. This can be evaluated and adjudicated at a much earlier level.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
jsobecky

I feel sorry for this person, as he is obviously troubled enough to threaten suicide. His case needs to be given careful consideration and I hope he recovers soon.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, he obviously feels he has been left with no other course than to take his own life, rather than be forced to kill anyone else in Iraq (this would also apply wherever he was getting sent, not just Iraq)

This is very misleading, as nowhere in the article does it mention these words. This is your interpretation, and it is biased and should not be attributed to the soldier. The soldier may very well have been as troubled if asked to fight rebels in Sudan.

well if you actually read the quote of my own text that you have used, you will see that I have not in any way said that this is anything but my own opinion and I was carefull about the wording I used.....notice my use of the word "probably".

This is really distressing to me as this poor guy will probably be court martialed or sectioned for his refusal to commit any more murders under the guise of "doing the right thing" for Bush and his political ideology.

I have in fact mentioned that I have quoted some text from the article....hence any text un-quoted is my own opinion....so Im confused as to how you figure I was trying to mislead anyone?
I wasnt and I resent your comment about trying to mislead people, because you have missunderstood what is written in plain sight. My point in saying this in the first place is that this young man must have tried everyway possible to get out of his situation and felt the only way he could escape being sent back there is to take his own life after trying everything else he could.

I don't think it has to go that far at all. This can be evaluated and adjudicated at a much earlier level.

I agree that this should be the course of action taken, but as my own families experience with my cousins both in the US army and the UK army have shown, that this is rarely the course of action taken.
even if this young man was deemed unstable and sectioned, he would likeyl have to face a military tribunal and be given a dishonorable dishcarge or worse. This is not my own opinion, but what Ive gleaned from the experience of a cousin of mine in the forces who went through a crisis of consience when he was deployed in Iraq almost 8months ago. As a result of this, he became depressed and would not go back to Iraq when his unit were told to redeploy after only 10days leave at home after 6 months continued service. His doctor and psychiatrist deemed him unfit for combat, but the military were having none of it, and he is currently serving a very long sentance for dessertion....even though he was medically unfit for duty.
So when I say the things I do, I dont say them lightly, but I hope this opens your mind a little to the mindset of not just the US armed forces, but those around the world, they dont like soldiers who cant fight and they will bully, hurt, or use their power to crush them for not following orders.
My cousin will not see the light of day for at least 4years, but we are happy that he has done what he has and will at least have a better chance of survival in prison than in Iraq. Also he is suffering low-level radiation sickness due to the DU, but that is for another thread another time.
I hope you dont take this as a personal attack or anything, I just wanted to open your mind to the perspective im seeing this from and I hope this young man doesnt suffer a similar fate.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If this guy goes through with it, this will be the fourth suicide inspired by the recent election/War on Iraq in the last month. Pay attention people. John Titor said that there will be several 'Waco-like events' during late 2004/early 2005. I don't see what screams 'Waco' louder than government inspired/caused suicides.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well, this certainly is not a thread for me to attack you, or cause you any resentment. We're talking about a man's life here. So if my misinterpretation caused you any resentment, I apologize. I won't comment on that part any further.

On another matter, your cousin should have been "sentenced" to desk duty, especially given the fact that his physicians backed him up. IMO he didn't deserve what he got.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Sad, I guess he probably has some mental issues before the war but they did not became a problem until now.

Yes, he will be court martial but if the defense can prove mental problems then he will be OK.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I know, I couldnt believe it had happened and still cant. He has a lawyer who is trying t force through an appeal against the sentance in light of the reports by both his psychiatrist and physician, but in his own words...."When the military are out to get you and make a scapegoat of you, its nigh on impossible to get the law of any land on your side". I still hope things may change, but knowing the way things tend to work with military and the law I cant see it.

[edit on 1-12-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sorry for that post if anyone got the chance to read it .. Sorry .. anyways .. the guy was drunk .... And he is a pansy ... he is not wanting to go kill more people # sign me up for killing the people over there just screw
the training .... =-( !!!!

[edit on 12/1/2004 by bet555]

[edit on 12/1/2004 by bet555]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Trust me, this is something that is happening all the time throughout much of the military mena dn women who are being asked to go back to Iraq. I know first hand becuase my brother in law who got back last summer was asked to go back earlier this summer. He went into major depression and needed to be constantly supervised by military medical personal. There is apossibility that they may not send him, but there is just as much a possibility that he will go inspite of his depression.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
John Titor said that there will be several 'Waco-like events' during late 2004/early 2005. I don't see what screams 'Waco' louder than government inspired/caused suicides.

John Titor was not talking about individual people commit suicide. Waco was an example of something like militiamen being destroyed by the government. These suicidal buffoons have nothing in common with the right wing radical militiaman's wet dream that was the John Titor plagarised fantasy. Are you actually contending that John Titor was real and telling the truth?

R-O
When the military are out to get you and make a scapegoat of you, its nigh on impossible to get the law of any land on your side".

How are they trying to make a scapegoat of him? Is this man delusional? The military is 'out to get him'? He volutneered for military service. He requested to be in the military. And now that they've sent him to war, its some sort of conspiracy to 'get him'? Honestly, he does sound unstable.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sorry folks, but the soldier in question is just being a drama queen.

If he doesn't want to go, he can declare CO and accept a dishonerable discharge. He's just trying to keep his benefits and get a medical discharge.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
this is what it comes down to.. Bush's ideas of the war in iraq is nuts. Pretty soon new kids will be drafted into the armed forces and this isn't gonna look pretty for the 21st century.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Lots of my friends, are in the navy army ... every where from being a cook to a ranger .... But there have aonly been a couple that have dropped out and that is because they are WEAK !!!!!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join