It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question from a Christian

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

...are you suggesting a 40 gallon tub of water can be poured variously into 1000 cups and likened to species variation?

Yes...

... (you're altering the analogy slightly, but let’s go with it).

If we take the 40 gallon tub as analogical to a current single species, then the 1000 cups you mentioned is analogical to small genetic changes in up to 1000 past ancestors, along a single line, that cumulatively created the 40 gallon tub... or a new species.

If you compare the 40 gallon tub and the very first cup of water, they are significantly different, enough so to have different classifications (cup and tub). Just as we classify species differently.

Pouring them back out of the 40 gallon tub is analogical to researching genealogy, writing out a family tree or (if you want something more physical)... the fossil record. The reverse process in this analogy becomes looking back in time at the order in which the cups were poured in, or possibly selectively pulling out one specific cup of water... gene therapy, or genetic modification...

... but now we're just getting silly.

Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters more for you with my silly analogies, I have noticed that the more set in faith and belief a person is, the less able they are to deal with creative analogy, which can be challenging.
edit on 20-6-2014 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzlesphere

If we take the 40 gallon tub as analogical to a current single species, then the 1000 cups you mentioned is analogical to small genetic changes in up to 1000 past ancestors, along a single line, that cumulatively created the 40 gallon tub... or a new species.

i suppose that is true if you take the analogy that way..
but that just makes the tub as something elses cup, doesn't it?

what i'm talking about is these people who say evolution is God (the CREATOR of all things)

If you compare the 40 gallon tub and the very first cup of water, they are significantly different, enough so to have different classifications (cup and tub). Just as we classify species differently.

exactly..
a cup is a cup
a tub is a tub

Pouring them back out of the 40 gallon tub is analogical to researching genealogy, writing out a family tree or (if you want something more physical)... the fossil record....

yep. it sure is.
i set 'em up and you knock 'em down
(because...)

...The reverse process in this analogy becomes looking back in time at the order in which the cups were poured in, or possibly selectively pulling out one specific cup of water... gene therapy, or genetic modification...

^this is the part that doesn't work out as claimed..
..it can't be done & demonstrated - and that just speaks for itself - where 'facts' & 'truth' are concerned

Hopefully I haven't muddied the waters more for you with my silly analogies, I have noticed that the more set in faith and belief a person is, the less able they are to deal with creative analogy, which can be challenging.

..not at all, "i consider it good practice to mind# myself six times before breakfast"

look.. i agree with you, the mechanism for evolution is apparent, one needs only observe the color change in a moths wings (and that squares up to your interpretation of the tubs & cups) - and we can tub an' cup it as a workable & observable model

but extending the mechanism all the way back to Godhood.. just cup an' tub that for us? that's all we require, an observable & workable model..

i think it won't ever happen that way because it just can't happen that way..
/shrugs

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
In this outer darkness that we live in evolution is possible because this outer darkness is ruled by satan
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
In this outer darkness that we live in evolution is possible because this outer darkness is ruled by satan
a reply to: ServantOfTheLamb

Did Satan tell you this or are you getting this information from another person that you trust?

Please let me know if you are able to make contact with paranormal beings...

I'll need to put in a complaint about all the stupid people that are not taking their meds and seeing things and hearing things.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join