It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the keys of the kingdom?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: OptimusSubprime
Yes, "I am the door" is obviously a very important cross-reference.
The fact that the promise follows on from "You are the Christ, the son of the Living God" points in the same direction.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
SnF.

Was looking into this earlier on..

Lots of doors and gates are mentioned in the bible, all seem to correlate to a inner door, here are but a few...

Revelation 3:8

“‘I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.

Matthew 7:7

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

Revelation 3:20

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

1 Corinthians 16:8-9

But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.

John 10:1-42

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens.

Proverbs 8:34

Blessed is the one who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting beside my doors.

Matthew 7:13-14

“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Psalm 24:7

Lift up your heads, O gates! And be lifted up, O ancient doors, that the King of glory may come in.

Acts 5:19

But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the prison doors and brought them out

John 10:9

I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

2 Chronicles 29:3

In the first year of his reign, in the first month, he opened the doors of the house of the Lord and repaired them.

Revelation 4:1

After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”

Acts 16:14

One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said

Hosea 2:15

And there I will give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.

www.openbible.info...

Doors, gates, openings, passages, portals? Wormholes... Erm, stargates?

Port/Portal....

www.etymonline.com...

port (n.1)
"harbor," Old English port "harbor, haven," reinforced by Old French port "harbor, port; mountain pass;" Old English and Old French words both from Latin portus "port, harbor," originally "entrance, passage," figuratively "place of refuge, assylum," from PIE *prtu- "a going, a passage," from root *per- (2) "to lead, pass over" (cognates: Sanskrit parayati "carries over;" Greek poros "journey, passage, way," peirein "to pierce, run through;" Latin porta "gate, door," portare "passage," peritus "experienced;" Avestan peretush "passage, ford, bridge;" Armenian hordan "go forward;" Welsh rhyd "ford;" Old Church Slavonic pariti "to fly;" Old English faran "to go, journey," Old Norse fjörðr "inlet, estuary").

"gateway," Old English port "portal, door, gate, entrance," from Old French porte "gate, entrance," from Latin porta "city gate, gate; door, entrance," from PIE root *per- (see port (n.1)). Specific meaning "porthole, opening in the side of a ship" is attested from c.1300.

port (v.)
"to carry," from Middle French porter, from Latin portare "to carry" (see port (n.1)). Related: Ported; porting.

Grab everyone you can!

ABANDON SHIP!

Lol.

Nice OP Disraeli.

edit on 14-6-2014 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
To understand the Gospels(Good News of Military Victory), you have to understand who the real people were behind the literary characters.

Jesus is actually Titus Flavius. en.wikipedia.org...

Peter is actually Simon bar Giora. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60
Nothing, really.

That is, you disagree about the source of the statement.
But your interpretation of what the statement actually means is not so far removed from my own.

Peter being given them is just symbolic that the temple priesthood no longer held them.

Half-agreement there. I quoted gospel references to suggest that the "failed" leadership being displaced was actually that of those who studied and tried to observe the Law.

His being chosen as the recipient is based an a spiritual connection that he had that told him that Jesus was the Messiah, something the Jewish leaders could not perceive.

Yes, that's what I said.

originally posted by DISRAELI
The link between the two events must be that entering the kingdom depends on properly understanding the person of Jesus.
Knowledge of the Living God, at least, and the promises he made to his people, had been available in the scriptures.
But Peter had seen the connection, between the promises and the living fulfilment of the promises, which the scribes and the Pharisees had failed to understand.

We're still waiting to hear from the party which claims succession from Peter, who would probably have a different outlook.
edit on 14-6-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains
Some of the "door" references you quote, especially those written by John, are about "entrance into life", and those are certainly very relevant.
OptimusSubprime has already quoted "I am the door".
"The gates of Hades" are missing from your list. My next task is a follow-up thread which relates them to "the door of the kingdom".

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Neat.

Would that entrance be the door to eternal life? This life? Afterlife? Or could it be a different type of life? New life? Etc.

What is the door to the kingdom, we all know the kingdom is within. But how does thy kingdom come? Do you think it is the same for everyone?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

That is, you disagree about the source of the statement.
Matthew?
No, I'm saying it is purely symbolic with no practical application.
The Jerusalem temple was desolated, and this is the eviction notice, in effect.

. . . leadership being displaced was actually that of those who studied and tried to observe the Law.
I wouldn't try to make a direct link between the two things.
One is about self appointed spiritual leaders who really weren't "spiritual" because they focused on the material things that are useless for salvation.
The other (the subject of the thread) has to do with God's recognition of the true Israel, from the practices of the temple cult, to those who truly follow God by recognizing their shepherd.

Yes, that's what I said.
That was his only qualification, where most likely the other disciples also thought that Jesus was the Messiah.
Peter saying so gives the opportunity to designate someone to represent this symbolic transfer.
edit on 14-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60
"That is, you disagree about the source of the statement."
Matthew?

No, I took you to be disagreeing with the attribution of the words to Jesus.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm still finalising my thoughts, so I won't anticipate.
But let's put it this way; if there are two rooms with a doorway between them, one and the same door will be the exit from one room and the entrance to the other room.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Ok I'll keep an eye out for your follow up thread.

I'm not sure if you caught my recent thread on secret doors and passages...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are others I feel are relevant too, but will wait to see the biblical direction you take your follow up thread in.

~wifi

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Next Friday, if I still follow the current routine.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Good explanation... S&F

The only issue I have with it is that you said the gospels are the centralised part of the book, which is wrong in most cases.... Paul seems to have taken the central position for most Christians...

Which is sad, but none the less true

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
I didn't say anything about the books called "the gospels".
I spoke about "the gospel", meaning the overall message about Jesus.
That applies whether the message is contained in Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, or Paul.
In this case, though, it is "as found in Matthew".

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You shouldn't use the word of its not what you mean...

Paul did not write a gospel... though it seems many Christians believe he did...

Gospel basically means "the good news"... and Pauls letters do not compare with the words of Jesus as far as "good news" is concerned... Ironically you did use a gospel for your post which I appreciate

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thats why the Offer still stands for most of us! One time, I had to Pawn my keys; actually loan, to another so one could find their Own set of keys!

Help a Bro/Sis out when you need Too. Might as well do something normal with you Life. Since everything else is Basicly Made Up as we go along.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I do not accept the rule of language that you are trying to invent.
The word "gospel" is not limited to the four books which go by that name.
Paul often describes himself as "preaching the gospel".
Taking the word "gospel" to mean the message about Jesus is perfectly normal and legitimate usage, and you are not entitled to impose a ban on the practice.
You need to understand words better before you try to impose rules on the way they should be used. Picking up a dictionary would help.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MoonBlossom

The Thanks you'll just given I shall pass to others walking their path through hell. Remember, although one might see Light at the end of the Path, try not to hurry/rush towards it! Not all Light ones see's is Blessed Light. Some get too caught up trying to get to the Light, they forget about pit holes, traps and path switches under their feet.

Remember the song. Let the Sun shine in? Some changed Sun to Light for this, Yet it is another mind word trick to trap you. Since You are Light, Shine so other's may follow! No one likes the Happy Go Luckie person smiling all the time because it reminds them of their Life.

Now if some would just ask about it, one would find that no matter what Problems one has in Life. It's not a Problem unless you Call it one!

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: Akragon

I do not accept the rule of language that you are trying to invent.
The word "gospel" is not limited to the four books which go by that name.
Paul often describes himself as "preaching the gospel".
Taking the word "gospel" to mean the message about Jesus is perfectly normal and legitimate usage, and you are not entitled to impose a ban on the practice.
You need to understand words better before you try to impose rules on the way they should be used. Picking up a dictionary would help.

Im not imposing any bans on anything lol...

IF you choose to see Pauls work as gospel so be it... being a smart ass doesn't throw any weight to your argument though

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

Or one could just accept the Life given in front of you! You do find that by changing many things about ones life ends up creating more problems. Working with what you got, fix what you did break, and learn to accept the things that can not be changed.

Relg has it that theres some Majick Door one must open to enter Heaven. Then during ones Life, you have to go look for this, that, twist a fruit here, blend some there tasks in order to at least find a door! Nope! Right Now while doing what one does is the way. Heaven is right in front of them; depending what your idea of Heaven is anyway.

When you find out Heaven is nothing like told in stories, it just IS! You could have $5 or nothing, yet trying to get another $5 is the problem. Christ said you'll Have what you need, if ones paying attention to Now and not tomorrow. Yet in todays world, your lead to believe otherwise.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Now one might want to be careful opening Doors!

It's a good thing wanting to open them just finish with the Door you opened First! I feel most doors anyway just open up an aspect of yourself one needs to work on. Either good or bad, views need to be questioned from time to time, things once held dear have changed, ideas so old if not checked. Lead to problems later.

Plus if opening many doors just to find a way in only confuses you later! Might have forgot what door goes to where and get everything mixed up. Sometimes just opening a door might change your life faster then one is ready.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join