It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the keys of the kingdom?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What exactly is Jesus offering, when he says to Peter “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven”? (Matthew ch16 v19)

There are two other points in the gospels where he talks about keys and opening doors, and these passages may throw some light on the question.
Later in Matthew, in the middle of the teaching in the Temple, we read;
“But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in”- Matthew ch23 v13
While in Luke, in a different setting, he responds to one of the lawyers-
“Woe to you lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge; you did not enter yourselves, and you hindered those who were entering”- Luke ch11 v52

In both cases, he’s addressing the people who are studying, and trying to follow, the Law of Moses.
Both rebukes are pointing out the same fault. These people are “not entering themselves, and preventing others from entering”.
If these are two different ways of saying the same thing, then each of them can help us to understand the other.

From the passage in Luke, we learn that the lawyers have a key which consists of or would have given them knowledge.
Then we can draw in the information from the other passage, that the door opened by this key provides access to the kingdom of heaven.

Alternatively, we learn from the passage in Matthew ch23 that the scribes and the Pharisees could have had access to the kingdom of heaven.
Then we can draw in the information from the other passage, that this access would have come by means of “the key of knowledge”.

Taking the two statements together, we find the message that “knowledge” of some kind is the key which enables people to go through the door and enter the kingdom of heaven.

We have learned in the process, incidentally, that this “knowledge” was already available to the Pharisees and scribes and lawyers in the scriptures of the Old Testament, if only they had known how to use it.
Not knowing how to use the key, they were failing to enter the kingdom.
Without that knowledge, they weren’t able to teach other people how to use the key.
And so their ignorance meant that others were also failing to enter the kingdom.

The natural conclusion, then, is that the keys of the kingdom here offered to Peter are the same kind of keys.
They are to be found in the knowledge which enables people to enter the kingdom.

The offer of the keys came in response to Peter’s confession in the earlier verse, identifying Jesus as “the Son of the Living God”.
The link between the two events must be that entering the kingdom depends on properly understanding the person of Jesus.
Knowledge of the Living God, at least, and the promises he made to his people, had been available in the scriptures.
But Peter had seen the connection, between the promises and the living fulfilment of the promises, which the scribes and the Pharisees had failed to understand.
This is “the key of knowledge”.
So the significance of “giving the keys of the kingdom” is that Peter (along with his brethren) is being commissioned to present this knowledge, in the form of the gospel centred upon Jesus.
Every time they present this gospel, they are using the key and “opening the door” which enables people to enter the kingdom.

The following words, about “binding and loosing”, need to be understood in terms of the effects of the gospel.
An earlier passage in the teaching of Jesus helps to explain what they mean;
“How can one enter the strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man?” (Matthew ch12 v29).
The binding of the “strong man” in this picture represents the overcoming of the power of Satan.
But there is also an implied “loosing” in this picture, because men are released at the same time from Satan’s power (“his goods are plundered”).
And these are the two aspects of the impact of the gospel; Satan is bound, and men are made free, as the overcoming of Sin breaks his hold over them.

Those are the two powers presented in the second half of the verse.
The normal translation is;
“Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven;
Whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven”.
However, the impression we might gain from those words needs to be modified in two ways.

Firstly, it could be argued that “shall be bound” and “shall be loosed” are mistranslations.
Getting technical for a moment, the Greek verb is not a simple future tense but something closer to what English grammar calls the “future perfect”.
It’s possible that the right translation is not “shall be” but “shall have been”.
The difference would be important, because it reverses the order of events.
Instead of “binding and loosing” on his own account and having his actions endorsed by heaven, Peter would simply be echoing what had already been decided in heaven.

Secondly, in any case, this is not so much Peter’s work as the work of the gospel which he’s presenting.
It is the gospel that binds Satan and the gospel that frees men from their sin.
The offer of the “keys” is the commission to be messengers of that gospel.

But this commission carries with it a grave responsibility.
The fact that someone holds the keys of knowledge cannot be a guarantee that the keys will be properly used.
If someone claiming to wield the keys of the kingdom presents wrong or irrelevant teaching, in such a way that the central message of the gospel goes unheard, they may expose themselves to the same rebuke that was addressed to the scribes and the Pharisees.
It may be said of them, when they come to judgement, that they were neither entering the kingdom themselves, nor allowing other people to enter.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Bravo for a clear, well-explained message. It is something I'll think about and reflect upon some more. I do think you've found something valuable and important to the seekers amongst us. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface
Thank you for the encouragement.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well Done!

Let's not forget, Be As Children. Left out all the extra words included since those 3 words do sum it up. As for Keys, you should know you have your Own as all of us do. No one can actually give something you already have, you only need to find your own Key!

Now back to being a child. Today's world the though of actually having a childhood seem to be a hard thing to do. There are so many NOT's and not enough Wonderment by the age of 3 a child has heard NO! 1,000 a year! Next you have your family set of values, next come socializing with other children and last is our School System! As long as a child is wondering in circles, it keeps them from being a Child.

As what can a Child Do, might you ask? For one thing, it never trys to change anything, sees Joy and accepts the world as it is. Ask's many questions although it comes from the many No's then anything. With anything, What is the best way to keep anyone from knowing the Truth? Nip it at the start, or begin with the children.

Now as you get older, your childhood seems to only remember the bad times and just a few Good Times! Not saying every childhood is bad. Just look at what we have today and that sums it up. Parents started taking notice so decided to do Homeschooling. Yet it is almost hard to do in todays world. So many You can not Do That with your Child, this is the way it must be.

Sorry for the Drifting, for One Of The Greatest Keys is to be like a Child who cares nothing for any Key but learn to Be Him/Herself.

Peace

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infoseeker26754
We musn't forget, though, that in this case the promise follows on from "You are the Christ, the son of the Living God".
That implies a connection.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thank you so much for sharing your examination of these scriptures! And they were so well explained!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yes, that collection still exist only with how todays world is, your luckie to even have said time to enjoy it! Now as a child, it is a given without the need to question it! Now it's forgotten by the age of 10, its still There mind you.

Now it is placed Outside Yourself, something to Seek, Find and go through all of the test, trials, and fasting one can do! Once the idea is placed that you must Find That Key elsewhere, its a losing game! Of course the riddle of the Key is only to Know Yourself! Since not knowing yourself, how would you know if God was actually talking to you?

Word play, almost 75% of them words in the Great Book are repeated, verses even! Almost very much alike to through one for a loop. Maybe the reason was for simple mind people and higher minded together, yet both would agree alot of it is in a continue less Loop.

Peace

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Oh rats. I lost those keys again. Hopefully they didn't get thrown into the scrap for the scrapyard again. My first set of keys got melted down and made into a faucet.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Fortunately the keys which are operated by the mind can't get lost so easily.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Fortunately the keys which are operated by the mind can't get lost so easily.

Most people lose their keys. They forget what it is all about and get hooked on material things.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Great job and great writing. Than you for sharing.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Thanks DISRAELI for a cohesive and thought provoking post.

a reply to: infoseeker26754

Thanks for your eloquent post, Infoseeker! This was the same conclusion I came to on my own journey. And do you know what the most curious thing was?

originally posted by: infoseeker26754
Be As Children.

I had been doing JUST that all along !!
It was the world around me that had me convinced it was the "wrong" thing, and I believed some of that lie. Now I feel so lighthearted and carry much JOY and PEACE! The answers to questions I haven't even asked come quickly too. When you see with delight, the lightness of being is incomparable!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I think the answer is fairly simple. Jesus says in John 10:7...

"I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."

So if He is the door to the Kingdom of God, then the keys are a saving faith in Him. Believing the gospel is the key to the Kingdom, and when Jesus told Peter that He had given him the keys, He was saying that Peter had the knowledge of the Gospel and it was his duty to go out and preach it.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Most people lose their keys.

Or lock them in their Karma......Sorry, I couldn't resist!

edit on 13-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Most people lose their keys.

Of lock them in their Karma......Sorry, I couldn't resist!

That's good.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

What exactly is Jesus offering, when he says to Peter “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven”? (Matthew ch16 v19)
Nothing, really.
This verse is without context and is inserted into that part in an opportunistic way, to be a fulfillment of a prophecy in Isaiah.

Isaiah 22:22
I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.
(2011 NIV)

It is really a proclamation of judgment against the current leadership in Jerusalem.
That it was being taken away from them.
Peter being given them is just symbolic that the temple priesthood no longer held them.
His being chosen as the recipient is based an a spiritual connection that he had that told him that Jesus was the Messiah, something the Jewish leaders could not perceive.

edit on 13-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
What exactly is Jesus offering, when he says to Peter “I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven”? (Matthew ch16
But this commission carries with it a grave responsibility.
The fact that someone holds the keys of knowledge cannot be a guarantee that the keys will be properly used.
If someone claiming to wield the keys of the kingdom presents wrong or irrelevant teaching, in such a way that the central message of the gospel goes unheard, they may expose themselves to the same rebuke that was addressed to the scribes and the Pharisees.
It may be said of them, when they come to judgement, that they were neither entering the kingdom themselves, nor allowing other people to enter.

This is a key statement made by Yahoshua.I relates to what he said to some pharisees....
"You search the scriptures THINKING that IN them you have life (spirit) YET you FAIL to come to me whom they "testify" of that I would "save(deliver) you.

The irony is the very thing most people are trying to do is (know the creator God by belief) has just the opposite effect.Yahoshua CLEARLY stated "searching" the scriptures(studying) will not cause life and deliverance from hades (the realm of death and imperception).The "keys of the Kingdom are "revelation from the Father" yet the religious carnal mind(the adversary) is at enmity with the creator God and seeks "life" in "their religion"….that is EXACTLY what the pharisees and scribes did.

They did not "know" the key to enter the Kingdom .They were studying the scriptures that "testified" of the Truth yet they "could not " enter in.It wasn't because they didn't "know how".They could never ever "learn" how to "know the creator God it is only revealed how and to whom and when the creator God "chooses" to.The Religious have self appointed themselves "chosen".Yahoshua clearly told the disciples YOU have not chosen me but I have chosen you …how much more so is that true to everyone else.

The scripture testify (are a witness made in proclamation statements) of HOW everyone will enter into the Kingdom of God…..by Yahoshua(Yahweh is salvation)….not belief in a person named "Jesus" of their religion or any other 'religious method especially "studying a book.
The creator God will deliver ALL of mankind from hades..(very poorly translated hell) which means the realm of death and imperception.The "main" part of salvation is deliverance from the realm of death(not delivered from dieing) The deliverance from the realm of imperception is from the persons Belief system Religion which they "perceive" all of their life(spirit) through.

Yahoshua said many are called (all of mankind) but few are chosen(the disciples).The majority of all the new testimony "Gospels Is Yahoshua making proclamation statements directly to the disciples only.They alone are the chosen few.They are the "first fruits" of the harvest of the "good seed")Yahoshua ..Yahoshua ..The SON of the creator God) sown in the good soil"(green pastures).They are the first to be delivered form the realm of imperception which is their false Belief System(BS) religion).They are the only "ones chosen" to delivered from their BS while in the physical realm to "enter into" the Kingdom of the creator God realm.That's why they did the things the did.It wasn't "magic" or super "spiritualism" by an incantation(in the name of Jesus".The creator God chose those few people to be the first fruits OF the first fruit(THE seed..the Son) to be on the narrow path.They were on the wide road (like everyone was and is) that leads to the gate of destruction which is where their "BS religion was destroyed...and they "entered in" the green pastures through the straight gate.

They received their "forgiveness(which means freed from bondage not pardon of guilt) by "revelation" from the Father..NOT by STUDYING the scripture and viva sectioning words and sentences making them into the doctrines of men religion.It was/is a process that is ALL initiated by the creator God not the religion of man.Simon-Peter took the longest and was the hardest to deliver so he received revelation first.Notice a few verses later Yahoshua is exhorting "satan"(the adversary) to be freed from Simon-Peters religious mind.(btw...satan is not a being).

The bottom line is the keys of the Kingdom are revelation(knowing) from the creator God..NOT belief….that serves a completely different purpose(it is the corrupted nature of mankind).There is NO method of religion(ascension etc,etc) or anything to have the creator God "reveal" themselves to for anyone to know.It is 100% the creator God's will.

Entering the Kingdom through the straight gate(revelation) is the only way in…and ALL of mankind will enter in..each in their own order and time and process.The process of salvation is an infinite process.None have received (or ever will) the "full" measure of it because it is infinite.The Physical real is the realm of imperception where reality is not known(revealed).It is only by entering into the Kingdom of the creator God does imperception begin to disappear through a process…..salvation…conception then new birth then LIFE!(spirit).The life of man(the spirit of man) is temporal because all of mankind dies.The Good news (gospel) is all of mankind WILL be delivered form the realm of death and eventually the realm of imperception as they KNOW the creator God….not just "believe".

All of mankind are in "a" stage of "conception".None have been born anew on high (poorly translated born again) and delivered(saved) INTO the fullness of the Kingdom of the creator God realm.The keys to the kingdom have NOTHING to do with religion of any kind it is the antithesis of ALL religion.THAT is the Good News….thank God.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Rex282

The scripture testify (are a witness made in proclamation statements) of HOW everyone will enter into the Kingdom of God…..by Yahoshua(Yahweh is salvation)….not belief in a person named "Jesus" of their religion or any other 'religious method especially "studying a book.
I must have missed that part.
"Jesus" was Jesus' name, which is what is recorded.
He didn't somehow have an alternate name, especially not the way that you are spelling it, since it hadn't been used for hundreds of years by that time.
Jesus' name would have been understood as a Hellenized version of the Old Testament character Joshua whose name meant "savior", so Jesus' name would have been appropriate for his role as our savior, that is for those who believe in him.
"God" is a fuzzy sort of concept which the Old Testament doesn't do a very good job of clarifying.
Jesus puts God in sharp focus by defining the character of God.
So in a figurative way, Jesus is the "name of God".
Alluding to a storybook character god is not the purpose of Jesus' coming to earth in the first place.
Jesus came to show us that God loves us.
So looking at the old books for the Jews of Jesus' day to figure out what God was like, was not that useful, in his opinion, but looking at them to see that someone would come to lead them to God, that was useful.
"You believe in God, you believe also in me," Jesus said.
The object of our worship is shifted from the general to the specific, in the person of Jesus, being the very image of God, who is invisible.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60

I must have missed that part."Jesus" was Jesus' name, which is what is recorded.

Yes Jim you missed that part and every other part you write about "your religion".I've asked you politely before so I'll ask you again (and again you will not listen) please do not respond to my posts . I will not be responding to you anymore on this post.I have nothing to say to you that you can hear.
edit on 14-6-2014 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Yes Jim you missed that part and every other part you write about "your religion".
Can you explain how you are the only person in the world who's religious beliefs are somehow not "your religion?

I've asked you politely before so I'll ask you again (and again you will not listen) please do not respond to my posts . I will not be responding to you anymore on this post.I have nothing to say to you that you can hear.
You are free to start your own blog on another web site (I have one that I do on biblical Greek) where you can say whatever you want without the danger of anyone contradicting you.
This particular web site is for discussion, that means a dialogue between two or more people.
edit on 14-6-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join