It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bending or Unbending of Space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It is often believed by most that, space can be bent by presence of mass. Yet on the internet I cannot find a single lab confirmation of this assertion, though it is claimed some not all astronomical observations show gravitational lensing attributed to bending of space. I am skeptical of this claim. The following 2 videos perform as claimed, yet I cannot see any bending or unbending of space, which leads me to believe that, space cannot be bent, though unexplainably, the pictures go wonky at times. Whats your verdict?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I am not sure why this thread wasn't better received.

It seems like perfect fodder for ATS.

To answer your question (and I am surprised nobody else bothered to, actually) the reason we know that gravity bends space is that it can be directly observed with your own eyes. This was proven in a series of great experiments in the early 20th century:

en.wikipedia.org...

So, if you can trust your own eyes and mind, you can trust that gravity actually bends space. (f you can't trust your eyes and mind, refer to another thread or three, available right here.)

Not sure what all this to do with any of the videos here.

But it was all kind of interesting, thanks for that!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I watched a video the other day on the bending of light on an ATS thread. The light only was bent in the plasma of the star and outside the plasma there was no bending, even just outside the plasma was 0 bending even in huge gravity. This is light.

However space and time are not light.

Space is a dimension, time is a measure or dimension. Thats all I know, cool subject!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
I cannot see any bending or unbending of space, which leads me to believe that, space cannot be bent, though unexplainably, the pictures go wonky at times. Whats your verdict?
The bending of space around the sun which is 333,000 times more massive than Earth is barely perceptible; telescopes making precise measurements of gravitational lensing are needed to measure it. The gravitational lensing is the evidence of space-time "bending", what else would you expect to see?

Your video shows objects millions of times less massive than the Earth and you wonder why you can't see gravitational lensing when we can barely see it with the sun and even then not with the unaided eye but only using telescopes? Is something wrong with your logic?

I think you already posted that second video where the man uses candles as "scientific measuring instruments" which already tells you the guy is wonky, in fact that's the wonkiest thing I've seen in those videos. I'm not sure what else you think is wonky since you don't say.

edit on 13-6-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hello Kitty and Garfield sticker on anti-gravity contraption for youtube, filmed somewhere in a poor jungle village = Check.

What more proof do you need? Geez..

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
'Gravity Probe B' is one scientific experiment that confirms the bending of space time. There is a lot out on the internet about this as it was a huge undertaking to prove such a small effect.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho
Hello Kitty and Garfield sticker on anti-gravity contraption for youtube, filmed somewhere in a poor jungle village = Check.

It would be more believable if he time dilated a tomato like he claimed on ATS.

Hopefully Savvy will come back with another new account to entertain us some more.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Axial Leader
I am not sure why this thread wasn't better received.

Not sure what all this to do with any of the videos here.

But it was all kind of interesting, thanks for that!

The videos claim anti gravity and there is no unbending of space evident at all

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: GallopingFish

I watched a video the other day on the bending of light on an ATS thread. The light only was bent in the plasma of the star and outside the plasma there was no bending, even just outside the plasma was 0 bending even in huge gravity. This is light.

However space and time are not light.

Space is a dimension, time is a measure or dimension. Thats all I know, cool subject!
Light travels thru space. So if space was bent, light would have bent too.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Wonky in the sense that the pictures get distorted unusually. wonder if it indicates bending of light
a reply to: Arbitrageur

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Light doesn't get 'bent'. Light goes in a straight line. It goes through the shortest distance between A and B in space-time curvature.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Lol, I was concentrating on the video subject matter rather than the surrounding countryside.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I find the videos more intriguing than entertaining
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Light doesn't get 'bent'. Light goes in a straight line. It goes through the shortest distance between A and B in space-time curvature.
My point is that, there is no curvature to space. If we live in curved space, we would have felt the curvature when we move just like you feel the current in the water when you stand in a river

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Well why did you use those two videos to prove your point? Those videos are hoaxes.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Well why did you use those two videos to prove your point? Those videos are hoaxes.
I don't find them to be hoaxes at all. Why do you call these as such?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

In the first video the quality is so poor you can hardly see anything. The comment section is disabled. And in the description he typed like a kid.

Those crafts are obviously homemade RC gyrocopters.

If it was true the scientific community and news people would be all over him like flies on poo.

In the second video it appears to me that he is claiming that he can make that thing weight less due to whatever 'device' he was running. I am deaf so I do not know what he is saying.

It appears to me to be more like a carnival show.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The quality of both videos is rather poor, though RC gyrocopter did not occur to me. Sorry to hear you are handicapped.
a reply to: Deaf Alien

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

We Deaf people do not consider ourselves handicapped

But yes they are of very low quality. That is usually an indication that the videos are hoaxes.

Also as to the space-time curvature, let me know what you think of those pictures:

upload.wikimedia.org...

and

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Here's a cool one of rc gyroscope (the other kind is rc quadcopter which is more manageable)

Oldfarts will remember that movie Real Genius.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join