It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the entire science of Psychiatry a fraud?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Must watch 9 min. video for anyone that has been diagnosed with any kind of "Mental Illness".

Many people believe this is the best speech about psychiatry ever written.
Transcript link is below:

Dr. Jeffrey Schaler’s incisive speech on psychiatry upon accepting the Thomas S. Szasz Award at CCHR International’s 37th Anniversary and Human Rights Awards Ceremony. Jeffrey A. Schaler, Ph.D., is a psychologist and professor in the Department of Justice, Law and Society at American University’s School of Public Affairs in Washington, D.C. An expert in legal, social, clinical and public policy matters concerning psychiatry and psychology, Professor Schaler is also the editor of Current Psychology, a journal for diverse perspectives on diverse psychological issues. Professor Schaler is a frequent guest on national and international television and radio. Psychiatry is All About Control

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
There's threads on here about this fraud. I posted a good video on it once and a source to a military website discussing this fraud.
I will post the video after I post this.

There is no scientific test to determine stuff like bi polar. It was made up to prescribe meds. You can't do a blood test. This is what is meant by there is no scientific testing. They just use the manual . Forget the name of it, but it's in the video I will post. The experts are psychiatrists saying it's a fraud.

Indeed there are people with a mental illness, but far too many are diagnosed by simply having a certain amount of checkmarks on the questionnaire, stuff like insomnia, feeling out of place in crowds, etc) .
edit on 13-6-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Snoopy1978

originally posted by: Snoopy1978

A sunlamp, exercise and chocolate will give you the same serotonin boost a SSRI does? No.

Chocolate and exercise give you a small bump of dopamine, not serotonin. There is another class of meds like wellbutrin that act as dopamine reuptake inhibitors. I bet you knew that, though, being a doctor in psychiatry/neurology and all. I mean, you go online and tell people matter-of-factly that antidepressants are basically poison. Futhermore, via your rant, you not so subtly suggest people disregard their personal physician's advice and stop use of their medication. Well then, you must certainly be a trained medical professional and not a know-nothing internet bigot, right? Riiight?

Are you done?

SSRI'S, antipsychotics, and everything in between are strait BS. Been prescribed Zoloft, olanzapine, lithium, welbutrin, and a whole host of other crap that destroyed my chemicals more than they helped. Some even caused suicidal reactions at a rather alarming rate, not to mention many other negative side effects.

Yes, all those things I mentioned DO increased serotonin. (Maybe not at such a pronounced rate, but enough to call the artificial methods into question.) I personally feel better than ever WITH OUT DRUGS. I know many others like me. But what do I know I was only treated for bipolar disorder from 10 years old... Ever been on Lithium?

Here's a link.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I will forever denounce the psychiatric med industry as the mostly wasted void of beneficial help and capitalist enterprise it is. I am most certainly advocating people to view antidepressants as poison, and will continue to do so. I may not be a drug dealer with a degree, but I know a scam when I see it.
edit on 13-6-2014 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

2 logical fallacies in 3 lines, impressive!

www.logicalfallacies.info...

Attacking the person and assuming just because he supports one questionable argument everything he says must be false.

Tsk tsk tsk

Some TED videos by psychiatrists that support many of his points:

www.ted.com...

tedsummaries.com...

www.ted.com...

And while it feels very strange defending a scientologist, some good info on how incredibly dicy this field is and respect for the work the scientologist a do for people that have fallen foul of this Reich can be read in the highly informative and entertaining book "the psychopath test" by Jon Ronson. He is the guy that wrote "men who stare at goats":

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402687661&sr=1-1&keywords=jon+ronson

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here's the video
At about 1:42 in the video, the scam is revealed

Please watch this!!

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I was put on Paxil following my stroke. I was very depressed. Not about the stroke issue but because I was being abused by my caregivers. Anyways on Christmas Day, following horrible abuse, I attempted suicide. It failed. I just got knocked out for a day. So I tried it again. The methods I was using were truly bizarre. I just wanted to die. Wasn't afraid of death. I was cutting myself with knives. Swallowing poison, trying to strangle myself and so on. It was only when I came up with my final plot that it hit me , this was just wrong. I googled how to do it with noxious gases, but it would require posting a sign that says do not enter, call hazmat. I could have taken others down with me. My God! I never felt any better, just worse. Took months to wean off it without going even more loony tunes.
ETA
So in the end , what cured me was to just get a divorce. The very day I served him the papers I could finally sleep through the night. The crying stopped and I even felt happiness.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
This is not true at all. I suggest you do some further reading on the topic from actual scientific sources (i.e. not biased blogs).

A biased blog would be "scientific source..." I suggest you do some further reading on how you can design any test or experiment to prove whatever you want....

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WhatWeNeedToday

No, a paper in a peer-reviewed journal would be a scientific source. Not a biased blog.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
No, a paper in a peer-reviewed journal would be a scientific source. Not a biased blog.

You can't get any more biased than "Pal" reviewed Scientific sources.

I don't believe a WORD science says any more than I would believe any thing that politicians say.

It is with good reason that they are often referred to as the cult religion of Scientific fundamentalism.

It is because of Pal review that the rampant fraud and misleading conclusions of scientific "research" is so prevalent today.

originally posted by: CircleOfDust
If we ever needed evidence that peer review is an empty ritual, this episode provides it. Many studies have shown that peer review does not improve the quality of scientific papers. Scientists themselves know it doesn‘t work. Yet the public still regards it as a sign of quality, and says, This paper was peer-reviewed,‘ or ;This paper was not peer-reviewed,‘ as if that meant something. It doesn‘t.

Many studies have shown that peer review does not improve the quality of scientific papers. Scientists themselves know it doesn't work. Yet the public still regards it as a sign of quality... as if that meant something. It doesn't. The whole concept of scientific "peer review" is suspect. Peer review has not been and never has been a meaningful guage of the validity of scientific conclusions. It has been hijacked to stifle debate and filter out conclusions that disagree with a particular dogma. To a real scientist it is meaningless.

What Would We Do Without Peer Review?

Despite its importance as the ultimate gatekeeper of scientific publication and funding, peer review is known to engender bias, incompetence, excessive expense, ineffectiveness, and corruption. A surfeit of publications has documented the deficiencies of this system.

How to Fix Peer Review

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: UnderGetty

Who treats the schizophrenic?
Or people with OCD? Or The Man Who Thought He Was a Hat?
These are genuine conditions.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I think anti-depressants are poison and they make people worse.
I was required to take them once for depression. Within a short
time I was crying. I had been depressed, but not crying. Then I
considered killing myself. I had been depressed, but never considered
killing myself. Hey how about these meds?
I started out just a little depressed and now I'm crying and feel like
killing myself. Needless to say...I wouldn't take any of them after that.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Loveaduck
Who treats the schizophrenic?
Or people with OCD? Or The Man Who Thought He Was a Hat?
These are genuine conditions.

Medicine Doctors AKA elite drug dealers.

FYI, they do NOT treat...

They addict, distract and sedate.

“Biological psychiatry is a total fraud.” ~ Fred Baughman

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
That is a false assumption. I regurally read a variety of scientific literature. Psychiatry is pseudoscience, plain and simple. reply to: GetHyped

I think your motivations for saying that are honorable, but incorrect, respectifully.
For instance, a great many of all the MK Ultra like projects that went on, and some argue, still do, have their roots in psychological sciences….ergo, the term "psyops."

There is a fine science on that side of things, to breaking people, and has been for quite some time. And believe me, any special forces or special ops people put through certain training, would tell you it's down to a science, breaking anyone and/or the individual.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

That would be psychology, not psychiatry.

Besides, it's much easier to break someone down, than it is to build them up and integrate them.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

We can split hairs, or know that one informs the other.
2nd

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tetra50

It's not splitting hairs, though if you'd like information on your confusion, I will be glad to inform you:

Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders. These include various affective, behavioural, cognitive and perceptual abnormalities. The term "psychiatry" was first coined by the German physician Johann Christian Reil in 1808 and literally means the 'medical treatment of the soul' (psych- "soul" from Ancient Greek psykhē "soul"; -iatry "medical treatment" from Gk. iātrikos "medical" from iāsthai "to heal"). A medical doctor specializing in psychiatry is a psychiatrist. (For a historical overview, see Timeline of psychiatry.)
Link

Psychology is an academic and applied discipline that involves the scientific study of mental functions and behaviors.[1][2] Psychology has the immediate goal of understanding individuals and groups by both establishing general principles and researching specific cases,[3][4] and by many accounts it ultimately aims to benefit society.[5][6] In this field, a professional practitioner or researcher is called a psychologist and can be classified as a social, behavioral, or cognitive scientist. Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the physiological and biological processes that underlie cognitive functions and behaviors.
LInk

Do take note of the key difference in modern use, and application within this thread. Psychologists tend to work with understanding the psyche and helping the patient to achieve his goals, where as psychiatrists are more about peddling drugs based on pseudo-science.

Be careful to realize the pseudo-science mentioned in this thread is related to the labeling, and medding up of individuals from a variety of logical fallacies within the field, which are repeatedly said and rarely challenged. This isn't science, and is quite different from the psyops you speak of.
edit on 13-6-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Yep you are absolutely correct. Psychiatry simply masquerades as a medical profession that blindly prescribes drugs. Psychology is non invasive and cognitive therapies are shown to be very effective. Many people don't understand the difference. I always found it strange that your insurance will generally pay for most psychiatric stuff but they are hesitant to help pay for a psychologist.

The whole concept of institutionalized mental health was started when someone realized people or the state would pay to house people they did not want to deal with any longer. From there it was a downward spiral in trying to suppress any symptoms by extreme methods. ECT and Lobotomies are just some of the examples and the only advances being made in the "field" come from trying to hide the effects of the treatments. I mentioned this in another thread but when ECT was all the rage people were mortified to see what happened to the person being treated. Eventually they started to do things like sedate people before administering the treatments which was really nothing more than an illusion for the benefit of anyone viewing and not for the patient.

Read the literature on the psychiatric medications basically anything that is not a sedative they will tell you they have no idea how or why it is working. The entire county has been turned into a laboratory refining the methods of mass drugging for the ultimate aim of mind control.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Many people believe this is the best speech about psychiatry ever written.

Made by a scientologist at a meeting of a Scientology front organisation....

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
When I was a kid growing up I didn't like to do my schoolwork. So the school started testing me to see if I had any learning disabilities. My IQ was quite high and I had a near photographic memory. My memorization skills were off the charts. Other then that I was pretty normal. I played on the football team and dated. I was also an extraordinary artist. I could draw anything from memory. I had a lot of friends and was well liked.

Around the age or 17 my world was ripped apart. I started having strange thoughts that people were watching me. I quit talking to all of my friends. I started withdrawing from being around poeple. I dropped out of school and went into hiding. I quit leaving the house. My thoughts became weirder and weirder. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I knew something wasn't right. I was having dreams that people were putting subliminal messages in my head. I started tying my bedroom door shut at night and pushing a dresser up against the door. My behavior was causing a lot of problems between my mom and step father.

I started thinking there was a conspiracy between my step father and step sister. That they were collaborating to mess with my mind. One night I grabbed a butcher knife and thought it's them or me. I was going to kill my step father. I sat outside his bedroom for a half hour and contemplated killing him. Even though I was loosing my mind I knew the consequences so I decided not to. Him and my mom got into a fight and she kicked him out shortly after.

My mom didn't know how to get me help since I wouldn't leave the house and I had no insurance. Up until this point no one knew what was wrong with me. My mom would get professionals on the phone and they had he ask me if I was hearing voices. I always told he no because I wasn't. One day I snapped it was like a switch went off in my head and I started having hallucinations. I started having auditory and visual hallucinations. I was hearing and seeing things that weren't there. It was a long decent into madness. It took about a year and a half from the first symptoms to full blown paranoid schizophrenia.

My mom talked me into going to the hospital. It was the first time I left the house in a year. I was so far gone by this point I had no concept of reality. The doctors told my mom I would never be the same and that I might have to be institutionalized. I wouldn't take any of the medications they gave me in the hospital. They ended up giving me an injection of Haldol and Thorazine. They drugged me to the max. After a month long stay I left the hospital. I was so drugged all I could do is sleep. I slept 23 and half hours a day. It stopped the hallucinations though.

I quit taking the meds after I got out of the hosptial. It took 30 days for the drugs to get out of my system and as soon as they were I started having hallucinations again. I ended up back in the hospital again.

That was 15 years ago. Since then I had full time jobs I've dated and pretty much have a normal life. If it weren't for the medications I take none of it would be possible. I've been to the furthest reaches of insanity and back. I know for a fact the chemicals I take in the form of a pill keep my illness in check. I also know that mental illness is real. I've been living with it for many years now. There will always be the narrow minding short sighted people they say "I'm normal everyone else should be too".

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Yes. It is all a fraud. Like most things on this planet Earth!-

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join