It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secure Attachment Based Parenting {Successful Quality Parenting a few Book Chapter excerpts}

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
from

ATTACHMENT: Why You Love, Feel And Act The Way You Do

By Drs Tim Clinton & Gary Sibcy

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1402656933&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=ATTACHMENT+CLINTO N+%26+SIBCY

CHAPTER 11 pp 231 to 255

emphases added & formatting changed

p233

An attachment based parenting mind-set consists of four guiding principles:

--vision,
--training your child in the way of love,
--emotional learning, and
--sensitivity.

As principles, these guidelines help organize your parenting style. Eminent child psychologist Russell Barkley notes that a great advantage of principle-centered parenting is that "when you see the 'why' [of what you do as a parent], you are likely to do the how." [1]

In other words, understanding why you should do certain things as a parent helps you do those things more effectively and efficiently.

[1] Russell Barkley, Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents, 2d ed. (New York, Guilford Press, 2000), 6.

Other related links:

BO X ATS ATTACHMENT DISORDER THREAD LINK:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

DR BRUCE PERRY’S CHILD TRAUMA ACADEMY:

childtrauma.org...

IMPACT OF ABUSE AND NEGLECT ON THE DEVELOPING BRAIN:

www.attachmentdisorder.net...

ATTACHMENT: THE FIRST CORE STRENGTH:

teacher.scholastic.com...

BONDING AND ATTACHMENT IN MALTREATED CHILDREN: BRUCE PERRY

childrenneedfamilies.blogspot.com...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Some added excerpts & paraphrased bits and my commentary:

--Vision

. . . Stephen Covey uses this kind of analogy: If you're a pilot wanting to fly from Atlanta to San Francisco, simply wanting to get there isn't enough. You need a detailed flight plan that specifies direction as well as attitudes and corresponding speeds.
. . .

A coach's football game plan is another example of vision.

. . .

How do I want my kids to remember me when I'm gone? . . . but you might try one of Stephen Covey's recommended exercises to accomplish the same thing: Imagine your own funeral. Then picture your child being asked to comment honestlyabout the kind of parent you were. What would you want your child to say?

--Training Your Child in the Way of Love

. . .

* believe they are worthy of love--God's and yours
* believe relationships are warm, pleasurable, satisfying, and safe

* believe they can trust others to respond appropriately and promptly to their needs
* have the ability to regulate and manage their negative emotions

* have the ability to live within limits

* have the ability to deal with frustration, loss, and failures and to actually grow stronger from experiences

* have the ability to solve social problems effectively, using words rather than aggressive behavior or social-withdrawal

--Emotional Learning

BoX:

Learning how to handle emotions constructively, growthfully tends to be an OPPORTUNITY

in the crucibles and fiery-furnaces of life.

The habit of those who come from ATTACHMENT DISORDERED childhoods . . . is to REACT as a parent did; as a parent taught you to REACT out of THEIR ATTACHMENT DISORDER . . . and the beat goes on toward destructiveness.

That can change . . . step by step . . . when we CHOOSE the high road instead of destructive REACTIONS.

And when parents respond in life's crucibles with emotionally constructive tones and attitudes--children watch and learn how to regulate and express their own emotions constructively.

--Sensitivity

Usually, in the home, my blood Dad seemed to not have a sensitive bone, ear or touch in his body.

However, IF someone were his CUSTOMER, THEN he could be the perfect picture of sensitive, caring, attentive, thoughtful, understanding etc.

Most of us KNOW WHAT THE HIGH ROAD IS. Some can even display it WHEN it's to our advantage overtly, to do so.

Too many fail the most critical test with those they purportedly love the most. Why do so many treat those they love the most the worst? Because that was what characterized their ATTACHMENT DISORDERED home life, too.

But we can change. We can CHOOSE

to behave, talk, touch, attend to, understand--

AS WE'D LIKE TO BE:
--related to,
--talked to,
--touched,
--attended to,
--understood.

We CAN, if we WILL.

And when we blow it, we can do better the next time.

I hope we can have a robust discussion of such on this thread.

I don't know why my last one did not show up on the RECENT post page listings.

join