It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Now Controls Iraq's Euphrates and Tigris Rivers, Surrounds Baghdad on Three Sides

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
This news is relatively new (within the hour), and i thought that these events need to be shared here.

By now, it is obvious that ISIS is dead serious on taking Baghdad. Cutting off the main water supplies to the country, while surrounding the capital, is a sure way to ensure a higher chance of victory.

As the following link states, ISIS has successfully taken control of the country's water supplies, and as a result, may not even need to launch a full scale invasion of Baghdad:

Despite the apparent suddenness, ISIS's assault on Iraq has been brewing for six months. Last January, ISIS started fighting its way from Syria down the Euphrates river into Iraq. In May it captured the town of Fallujah, the scene of bloody fighting during the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq. This week, ISIS captured Iraq's second-largest city Mosul, on the Tigris river, then advanced down the Tigris to the town of Tikrit, and beyond it to the Shiite holy town of Samarra. Both Samarra and Fallujah are within striking distance of the capital Baghdad.

It is not clear at the time of writing whether ISIS will launch a military attack on Baghdad, or even if it could take the heavily armed city in a pitched battle.

But it may not need to. Iraq is ancient Mesopotamia, the once-fertile floodplain of the Tigris and Euphrates that cradled the first human civilisation. The rivers remain crucial to the farming on which most Iraqis depend, according to a report by the International Centre for Agricultural Research on the Dry Areas, which was once based in Aleppo, Syria, but has now decamped to Amman in Jordan to avoid fighting.

ISIS now controls several major dams on the rivers, for instance at Haditha and Samarra. It also holds one 30 kilometres north of Mosul that was built on fragile rock and poses a risk of collapse. It holds at least 8 billion cubic metres of water. In 2003, there were fears Iraqi troops might destroy the dam to wipe out invading forces. US military engineers calculated that the resulting wave would obliterate Mosul and even hit Baghdad.

www.newscientist.com...

In addition to ISIS' seizing of Iraq's main water supplies, they have also advanced their position towards Baghdad. Currently, ISIS is surrounding Baghdad on three sides. Fallujah to the West, Tikrit to the north and the towns of Saadiyah and Jalawla towards the North Eastern and Eastern areas of the capital.

www.itv.com...
www.breakingnews.com...

Overall, this situation is a complete mess, and i believe that the international scene has to think fast on what they want to do. It's only a matter of time before ISIS takes Baghdad, and if they do...we all know what will happen.

edit on 13-6-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The US had their leader Baghdadi but released him in 2009,The man claims to be a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed who better to led Vietnam 2.0.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Tonight, I heard Lindsey Graham make a dire prediction. He stated if something wasn't done soon to change the situation there, we are looking at another 9/11 here, in the not distant future.

Graham also said, he doesn't see boots on the ground as an option, but airstrikes he would back.

Where is Obama? He has to get his face in front of a camera and say something, other than his advisers are looking at options.

That's his stand-bye statement for everything it seems.

Des

edit on 13-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I smell a fish here.... We (the US) spent years and billions upon billions training Iraqi soldiers and providing arms, munitions and setting up an "ad hoc" government to help them get back online.

I get a strange feeling that our government had this in mind all along. Get things rolling in Iraq and then it gives us a green light to point the finger at whoever we think needs to be "saved" from horrible oppression.

to convenient... I do feel for the people over there who are having to deal with this garbage.
edit on 13-6-2014 by kdyam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
As soon as ISIS gets control and stabilizes, they will concentrate more on Syria.

Those Saudis and Qatars want the Shiites out.

New Caliphate forming.

Russia will respond later in Syria.

It's the gas pipeline.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
As soon as ISIS gets control and stabilizes, they will concentrate more on Syria.

Those Saudis and Qatars want the Shiites out.

New Caliphate forming.

Russia will respond later in Syria.

It's the gas pipeline.

Oh, I'm sure Obama can whip out his magic pen, mandate new EPA emissions caps for them...that'll stop 'em.

Honestly, it's a true cluster you know what. I can feel the anger and bitterness from the military families that lost sons, daughters, husbands, wives over there. All for what they are thinking.

All for what....

Des

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

what will happen?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Who in the Obama Administration gave the order to release this detainee?

Clinton was Secretary of State at the time.

This is ubelievable.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
You have to admit it is genius business model for those who sell ammo.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I can't believe this is not being more widely reported, especially on the heels of the release of the Gitmo 5.

This is huge!

IRAQ Iraq crisis: the jihadist behind the takeover of Mosul - and how America let him go

The fall of the Iraqi city of Mosul to the al-Qaeda offshoot ISIS has shown the power of its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - a former US detainee

The FBI “most wanted” mugshot shows a tough, swarthy figure, his hair in a jailbird crew-cut. The $10 million price on his head, meanwhile, suggests that whoever released him from US custody four years ago may now be regretting it.
Taken during his years as a detainee at the US-run Camp Bucca in southern Iraq, this is the only known photograph of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the new leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq and Syria. But while he may lack the photogenic qualities of his hero, Osama bin Laden, he is fast becoming the new poster-boy for the global jihadist movement.

www.telegraph.co.uk... ml

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Don't worry about it, The Iranian revolutionary guard have apparently gone into Iraq to help the Shia Government. At least someone is prepared to do something.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: cantsee4looking

what will happen?

My personal opinion is that if ISIS takes Baghdad, we can expect a coalition of allied forces to enter Iraq in order to ensure that the state doesn't collapse. That may or may not involve ground forces, but of course the overall situation can change depending on circumstances. To be honest, i really don't think that the world would let a radical Islamist group force the collapse of a sovereign state, only to form an Islamic Caliphate...well, i could hope that they wouldn't let it happen, but nothing is surprising anymore.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

It also looks like Balad airbase (formerly Camp Anaconda) is in the process of being evacuated.

in.news.yahoo.com...

The report further said that hundreds were being evacuated from Balad air base to Baghdad.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

It's funny that you should say that as I remember a vague story about that dick, Cheney having stocks in a munitions company. I'm gonna be up all night searching for it now.

oops,
my bad, it was oil services company CEO.

However, of all the administration members with potential conflicts of interest, none seems more troubling than Vice President Dick Cheney. Cheney is former CEO of Halliburton, an oil-services company that also provides construction and military support services - a triple-header of wartime spoils.

www.commondreams.org...
edit on 13-6-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Fall of Saigon, anyone?

Iraq seems to be following Vietnam's example. Yay. We sure showed them, didn't we.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
We never should have been there in the first place. Desperate people radicalize, it's a known effect of war. Warring radical factions cause destabilization... also a known effect of war. This seems more like mission accomplished.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
My God.
So much for all the money, lives and minds lost there.
I hate to say it but, let them have it. What else could the plan be? Start over what we started 10 years ago?
People should be outraged. This mess in the middle east has dominated our lives for a decade and most of it has been for NOTHING, besides a lot of eff'd in the head soldiers and a debt clock that keeps ticking.
Let them have it. Let the Muslim world be the Muslim world and let the USA take care of the massive stockpile of internal problems.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Fast thinking and rushing in has helped get us into this situation as we are now on the back foot and out of control. What is the ultimate aim? Long term regional stability is one thing I would put pretty high up on the priorities. With Syria's recent election it looks as though it has helped solidify the nation and pushed ISIS out, which has lead them south to Iraq. Moral in Iraq looks to be weak making it a pushover, considering the situation I do not think this is a real surprise.

With so much cultural bickering and infighting going on in the region is it right for us to pick a side and go with that or should we pick our men in all the teams and go with them?

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A big part of the problem with the Iraqi forces is they have for decades known that anytime thing got hairy they could pull out and let the Americans handle it. We go rushing into to save the day again and that will never ever change. On top of that the current Iraqi goverments ties to Iran mean the US would be fighting on the same side as Iran with Iran no doubt getting all the credit. My opinion is we give Iraq some logitical and intel support, maybe some air support and that is it at most. They are more than capable a taking care of this but, never will if they think the US will come rushing in. And on top of that Iran would now be heavily commited to fighting two wars in Syria and Iraq that look to have end. At least they will be to busy to mess with Israel or the Gulf States. For the Russians this could be a disaster as a state like this so close to its borders means that some of the less stable former soviet states could fall and Russia could find itself in a whole world of hurt its southern regions.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join