It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Government own the US Education industry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Yup! I would have to say that they effectively do, when you consider the fact that a large % of students and almost all middle to lower income homes producing students have to take some or all of the student loans being offered.

In my own case, I have a mortgage and family while taking a class load that always exceeds full time by a fair margin. I'm making money on the back end of this when I graduate. I don't have it now. That's why I'm in college. There are many like me, and so this really has some personal impact, I'd think.

I came across this while running though the Congressional Daily summaries which are agenda listings for what the Senate or House has considered, discussed or just pontificated upon during the course of a single business day. The summary leads to full texts of all words spoken or entered for the record, and they quote the stats the Government itself keeps and produces, in terms of sourcing.

So.. What is the state of Education and debt we can determine from this entry about it? Quite a lot, it turns out. A bit I didn't know.

Header Info
Congressional Record Volume 160, Number 90 (Wednesday, June 11, 2014)
Senate
Pages S3596-S3597

Mr. GRASSLEY.

In fiscal year 2014, the U.S. Department of Education will make about $112 billion in Federal direct loans to students. The Federal Government already holds more than $1 trillion in student loan debt. So that makes the U.S. Department of Education one of the country's largest lenders. Total student loan debt in the United States is now second only to mortgage debt, and about 90 percent of all student loans happen to be issued by the Federal Government.

Now I explained above how and why I take the student loans I do. There are reasons and it's a deliberate, calculated risk as well as sober decision. At 40 years old and working into my second career, I know what I'm doing. At 18? I wouldn't have. So this part of the record entered is critical to consider, because it is 100% accurate to how this operates.

Federal student loans are given out without a credit check or any analysis of the student's ability to repay the loans in the first place.

The fastest growing category of student loans is Federal unsubsidized student loans, which are given out regardless of need. That means that students across this country get an award letter from their college saying they are eligible for thousands of dollars in Federal loans, even though in many cases they may not need all of those loans to cover their tuition and other costs.

Now we can all say kids should know and the offer of 4 or 5 thousand dollars cash shouldn't over-ride their 'better judgement' at the ripe old age of 18-20. However....How often do ya figure that happens? Finally in one more point made in the statement, before it runs off into politics and out of what is relevant, in my humble opinion.

Between Federal student loan policies that effectively encourage over-borrowing and the lack of good jobs for college graduates in this current economy, it is no wonder that so many college graduates find themselves in over their heads with student loan debt.
Government Printing Office Vol. 160, No. 90

I don't really agree with most of what is said in the rest of this, and I don't think the solution this Senator is offering is very good either. However, his opening statements that I've quoted are dead on accurate to what is happening and I think it DOES need reformed and fixed.

Specifically, I'd like to see Uncle Sam back out of this, as much of that aspect occurred over the last 5 years for consolidations and not so long ago that it's too established to change.

However, regardless of WHO holds the note, I'd like to see the system running this to stop peddling debt impossible to escape (just about) to kids who have likely not SEEN $5,000 in cash at the point they enter their first year of college, let alone understand how much MORE than $5,000 that represents for paying back later.

To those in the international community who have no idea quite how University works in America, this may be a good one to read the source on and get a good feel in one shot for how that generally operates here. It's not 100% inclusive, of course, but it's a very solid snapshot.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I think who owns education is only part of the problem because obviously the bankers and loans have their crooked hooks into our youngsters on both sides of the pond - sponsored by the4 Governmen t supposedly. However I think what is more important is the quiet number of people running it and in powerful places withineducation systems that have political and religious agendas that is also something we need to be very aware of.

Our kids come out of education owing a lot of money and thoroughly indoctrinated from an early age.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I've got multiple degrees with no loans because I picked the right schools and attend mainly through Pell Grants (such fun to stretch those for a year). It hasn't helped at all as far as job prospects go but it's giving me the ability to make my own job with enough knowledge.

A friend of mine didn't take my advice and went to a more expensive school. He found he couldn't handle the courseload and work, so he took more loans to pay living expenses. Then he found that it was his first time on his own and he liked to party at the party school.

All in all he ended up $40,000 in debt for a single year of college. Having no job prospects the loan defaulted as the school kicked him out for his greats and he was hit with penalties. It defaulted, he got the instant $10k fee, plus the additional 25% fee, bringing him up to $63,000 in debt at something like 12% interest. Meaning that just to make the interest payments he needed to pay $7,560/year when his income was about $10,000/years. He said screw it. That was 3 years ago. Now the debt has compounded to well over $100,000 and his wages get garnished. The garnished wages don't even cover all the interest.

Student loans are really bad, if any agency other than the federal government were giving them out, the terms would be illegal because they fit the definition of a predatory loan. But the feds gave themselves a waiver.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Public schools are a sham too I think it begins there, I just watched a Documentary called "Why I Hate the 60's" it was focused in England but the same trends described happened in America as well and education was part of what came from that era. Young people are not being educated they are being trained and brainwashed. This is my opinion of course.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000
No, the Rockefeller types do. Or are they one and the same?

Here is a tasty quote from the 1st public mission statement of the Rockefeller Foundation's General Education Board as it was printed in its first report to well-wishers in 1906:
"In our dreams, people yield themselves with perfect docility to our moulding hands. The present educational conventions, of intellectual and character education, will fade from their minds - and unhampered by tradition, we work our own will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers, or men of learning, or men of science. We have not to raise up from them authors, educators, poets, men of letters. We shall not search for artists, painters, musicians, lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen - of which we have an ample supply." Note the "grateful" description - how we "treasure" our schools and "opportunities" they offer "the children;" a better example of how well Brainwashing works would be hard to find.

" I do not want a nation of thinkers. I want a nation of Workers"
- J.D. Rockefeller - primary funder of "modern" so-called education (read: 'indoctrination') systems

The Rockefeller and Carnegie "Foundations" rigged it from the start.
www.humansandresources.org...

edit on 13-6-2014 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The DOJ is involved in the DOE. The DOE and DOJ release "joint resource packages" for schools. This "joint" meddling is absurd.
Ive been yelling to disband the DOE for years.. get the feds out of education or it becomes an indoctrination camp.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This whole concept of government ownership is so strangely confused by Americans whereas other western and free nations don't share that confusion.

Government is the people, period. They are but representatives. They own nothing. And they run schools, which in turn means the schools are paid for by the people and are the people's schools. SO SPEAK UP AND INSIST CRAP ENDS NOW. ABUSE OF POWER MUST NOT BE TOLERATED.
edit on 13-6-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
the tinfoil hat scene is 50 years behind, as usual..

1950. (September):
"God's plan in America" by C. William Smith is published in the Masonic magazine, New Age, includes this statement:

"Great God our King has chosen the great American Public Schools to pave the way for the new race, the new region and the new civilization that is taking place in America. Any mother, father or guardian who is responsible for the taking away of the freedom of mind, freedom of will or freedom of spirit is the lowest criminal on earth, because they take away from that child the God-given right to become a part of God's great plan in America for the dawn of the new Age of the world."

2 Cuddy, 26

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
No...

It's owned by the satanic cult hiding BEHIND the Government.

The evidence supporting this is everywhere.

Here are a couple of examples:

By adopting this chameleon strategy, this satanic cult infiltrated and subverted most governments and religions, and established an invisible tyranny without drawing much attention. ~ Henry Makow Ph.D.

"Governments do not govern, but merely control the machinery of government, being themselves controlled by the hidden hand." ~ Benjamin Disraeli; Prime Minister of England

“Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. To destroy this invisible government, to befoul the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.”— Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States

"...the Illuminati eventually controlled the science departments in all colleges and institutions of higher learning. The plan was to stifle scientific knowledge and then twist what was left to fit the science they wanted the people to believe."

Secret Societies - Who Controls Knowledge?

The Illuminati realized they had to deceive an entire population of people if they had any hope whatsoever of achieving their coveted New World Order. As early as 1911, the Illuminati began buying textbook writing companies, until they owned them all after World War I. Once they got control of textbooks, they gradually began to "dumb down" the curricula and rewrite history. Rewriting history was the first step in achieving the New World Order. Source

edit on 13-6-2014 by Murgatroid because: Added link

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's something that has been Hidden for so long, most consider it a joke! It's a War no Parent can ever win or end up having to do the Social Services Baggage. Not only that, little does most know even the Hospitals all work together on
this one!

Although it's more of a money scam, ways to get into peoples lives and control whats left of our Children! As most of you can see Now, if not blind. Anytime some form of control, be it Gov, State Powers and Laws, more then likely it comes crashing down! Since 10yrs if not longer, How is it possible that any said teacher can make a call and ones Child ends up having to talk to a DR? I for one did not know Teachers were Med's Students until I had to Fight the Good Fight 17yrs ago!

Tag as an evil parent, forbidden to address with out Law being there, just because I said No! No to Pills anyway, some 19yr old teacher told God said children were in need of some major help! For me, since having the problem of them Not being my actual children, War started with the Mother! They find any way they can to Twist things around!

Man, want a story! I not only have one but Saved Ever single page of it! After Hell was sent to come find me, lol and many yrs of fighting the system, found a Dr who hated the system also! Come to find out nothing Wrong with the Children, just their IQ. One was 140+, way over any chart back in that day while the girl ended up being 127! being a Father myself and Knowing if said children could Outsmart me; tested them myself, knew they outsmarted me by 25% if not more!

Remember back in the day it was wrong to even consider Oping Out said Childhood? Now its pretty much open to do so! Long time ago an older woman told me a story that each Gen of Children were getting Smarter! Since the Gov did not like this, found ways to limit each Gen children in order to keep the next Eistine from being born! Or would have already had an end to wars if we allowed some bright Child To Rise. She did say another Christ, Buddha although it sounded way off the tone back then.

Now it makes sense if you actually ponder it some.

Peace

new topics

top topics

join