It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Criminal IN-Justice System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The Governor follows the money trail to our broken criminal justice system and exposes why the Land of the Free has more people sitting behind bars than any other country in the world. Who's making money off this so-called war on drugs? And why are addicts treated like criminals?
In this exclusive clip, the Governor blasts our country's war on drugs. If addiction is a medical problem, then why are drug addicts treated like criminals? What's wrong with our criminal justice system?

Agree or disagree with Jesse? Sound off here. And check out the full episode of #OffTheGrid on Ora.tv

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OFFTHEGRID

Agreed......I have my addictions........smoking and coffee to say the least....However, the point of our society has always been a live and let live concept......only recently have we decided to make decisions for others.....Look at history, farmers not only used to be allowed to pay their taxes with Hemp, but required to allocate 10% of their crops to it....Yet big tobacco and the religious zealots decided it was a threat....When did we start allowing those of one morality to mandate their views on others......My rights end where yours begin......simple as that.
edit on 12-6-2014 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The topic of drugs do open up a big, complicated and messy can of worms. Here on ATS many posts and threads have been shut down over this topic. There is very much a place for opiates and other high dependency drugs, but how such drugs do alter ones priority does raise many social issues with the high addictive nature of some types. The hard legal stance that is taken against drugs does come across as more about protecting society and setting an example of the social norm rather than address the needs of the individual. Does the needs of many outweigh the needs of few?

Someone who is addicted to drugs very much still have rights and deserve fair treatment by the law. How the drugs do affects ones capability and responsibly is of concern though, how do you think you life would of gone if your parents where crack junkies? Is the black market acceptance of a drug dependent culture fair to the next generation? In short I do not see a one answer fits all solution as the medical, legal and social interactions collide.

A cultural answer is the best approach I currently see, if some people want to go and right off their life on drugs then there are parts of this world they can go and do such. For communities that do not want to deal with the social implications of illegal drugs they can continue their hard line.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I would like too see what the numbers are fore all the others countries too, fore what the War on drug cost. Vs what the countries could earn on drugs if legalized.

Funny how USA could save 50 billions and earn +50 billions on legalize all drugs.

And the USA military budget spend +700 billions in 2011..

So if only marihuana is legalize Its 1/7 of the military budget in 2011....

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: OFFTHEGRID

There is an awful lot I would love to say on this subject. Most of it would place me far too close to a terms and conditions violation to go ahead and say it however.

What I will say, is that the US does not have a monopoly on foolishness in law making. In the UK, if someone walks up to you and punches you square in the head, then kicks the hell out of you while you are down, they might get six months in jail, which would be the maximum term for an assault occasioning actual bodily harm. If a person is caught in possession of marijuana however, they could be put in jail for five years and given an unlimited fine as well!

I find it abhorrent that merely possessing such things can draw more reaction from the legal system, than assaulting someone. Having been a victim of a physically violent assault before, I can tell you that it is a crime which is much more serious, and has much greater victim impact issues associated with it, than any amount of possession of a substance ever could.

new topics

top topics

join