It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UN unveils sweeping blueprint for reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The United Nations today announced a proposal which would institute comprehensive reforms at the world body. The changes, would be the biggest since the its founding in 1945. The report issued Tuesday has proposed more than 100 changes including an expansion of the Security Council as well as a definition of terrorism. Some proposals will be difficult to implement. The biggest is the adding of 6 more permanent members of the Security Council.

story.news.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS (AFP) - The United Nations unveiled a sweeping proposal to overhaul the organisation, including the Security Council, in what would be the biggest UN reform since its founding in 1945.

After bitter divisions over the war in Iraq, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan ordered a high-level panel last year to come up with the blueprint and help the United Nations adapt to the 21st century.

The panel's report released Tuesday proposed more than 100 recommendations, including some -- an expansion of the Security Council and a definition of terrorism -- that have eluded UN diplomats for years.

"What is needed is a comprehensive system of collective security, one that tackles both old and new threats, and addresses the security concerns of all states -- rich and poor, weak and strong," Annan said in an introduction to the report.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Change is needed, but this look to me to be more white wash. For starters Kofi Annon has to go. The oil for food debacle, the failure in the ivory Coast, Sudan, Rewanda, Kososvo, et all, clearly shows that the U.N. is a paper tiger with no teeth whatsoever. How may more failures till the U.N. becomes totally irrelevant?

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
As soon as the UN can tackle the US it will have its teeth.

However somehow think the US would rather turn Commie than allow the UN to get any teeth. The US might have to start listning to poor brown people (oh my god could you imagine that?!?).

[edit on 1/12/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Not just the US...I imagine few countries really want to see an effective UN.

I predict the final "changes" will be so watered down as to make very little difference....

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Here is a related link that appeared on December 2,2004. I posted it last nite unaware that Fred had already started a similar topic. Had I known I would have added it to this thread.

www.newswithviews.com...

Two parts of this follow up story that caught my eye and those that I disagree with very much are.

Citing “….bitter divisions over the war in Iraq, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan ordered a high-level panel last year to come up with the blueprint for the 21st century.” The blueprint eliminates representative government and destroys the constitution of the United States.

Note what it says "eliminates representative government and destroys the constitution". I do not think so Kofi.

What is needed is a comprehensive system of collective security, one that tackles both old and new threats, and addresses the security concerns of all states -- rich and poor, weak and strong," Annan said in an introduction to the report. A collective security system requires a collective form of governance. The collective forms of governance lead to the fall of the former Soviet Union. In short the form of governance advocated by Kofi Annan is Communism.

Again I do not think so Kofi. The US is not a communist country and never will be.

Just face it Kofi, you got caught with your hands in the cookie jar over the food for oil program and this is nothing more then a way to try and take the heat off. Sorry but that will not work. You are going to have to wash your dirty laundry in public like the rest of the world.

Boy I am willing to bet that new limo you bought really rides nice and hope you enjoy your ride to prision in it.

Now with this new information what is your take given the new material/view point, I added on the subject?

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
FredT, you ask how many more moves till irrelevant? I was wondering the same thing a couple days ago, and did an article on why I felt like the US may need to pull out of the UNSC, and with this info, maybe out of the UN entirely....anyway, if you care to look:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
How may more failures till the U.N. becomes totally irrelevant?

The UN certianly isn't irrelevant to the people that it saves from fammine, disease and poverty. Its not a perfect org, but it does -some- stuff pretty well. Its not effective at policing, preventing or even regulating wars, and probably shouldn't be, indeed, how could it? But the things it certainly -can- do a better job of is providing intervention and mediation to prevent wars, by setting a clear system that everyone can say 'these people are breaking the rules', whoever 'those people' may be. And it could do a better job at regulating nuclear technology across the globe.

Perhaps it shoudl 'give up' any sort of ability to outright stop wars from happening (as opposed to helping prevent them) and the more 'political aspects' thats its charged with. But irrelevant, well, its irrelevant in that it couldn't stop the US from going to war, and in that it couldn't legitimatize the US going to war, but the UN is a little more than just that.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is just the beginning of the end for the United Nations. The UN isn't doing what it was formed [promote peace and unite the world under a common goal] to do because the world has become unipolar and with constant bickering amongst the Security Council members no definitive action can be taken -THATs the reason America had to go it alone in IRAQ.
In the end - the UN is just becoming a debate club for international issues and nobody is willing to see the others point - thus, inaction.

Actually the UN has done many brilliant things in the past- For one, it was responsible for the eradication of small pox- that was done by the WHO, a truly international effort that united the world for the betterment of man but that sort of cooperation no longer exists these days. With wars being fought in far off lands here in America people take peace for granted. [9/11 was a wake up call but America has gone back to sleep again].
Maybe we need another Hitler to show the world the value of cooperation and peace.

top topics

join