It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ollie769

No one CHOOSES who they are attracted to. One can only CHOOSE not to act on certain urges. One can't CHOOSE to be one way or another, one can only CHOOSE to act one way or another. At some point an act becomes tiresome and dishonest.

If you think that you chose to be heterosexual, then I would say that YOU have repressed homosexual urges that you CHOOSE to not act on. I don't know about you, but as for me, my heterosexuality has never been a choice.

edit on 16-6-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Plus I hate to have to say this yet again, but THERE IS NO PROOF, NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that homosexuality is caused by: hormones, genetics, brain activity, etc. There is a bunch of conjecture - that is IT! Even having mapped the entire human genome - nope - no evidence!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

Oh my god, you are missing the freakin' point! Rick Perry didn't compare homosexuality with food addiction or adrenalin addiction or gambling addiction. If he had, I would have said the same thing. Comparing ANY kind of addiction problem to homosexuality is UNFAIR and INACCURATE. HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT AN ADDICTION PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: thebtheb

Plus I hate to have to say this yet again, but THERE IS NO PROOF, NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that homosexuality is caused by: hormones, genetics, brain activity, etc.

What a completely ignorant statement. ALL human sexuality is based on hormones, genes and brain activity!

Sex and the Human Brain

_ Of course, discussions of sex are often burdened with gender semantics, so it’s important to note that presence or lack of a Y chromosome doesn’t necessarily determine a person’s gender, biologically or socially. A female embryo subjected to high amounts of testosterone might exhibit more “masculinization” than a typical female embryo, and vice versa for male embryos. The concept of a “female” brain is based on physical characteristics largely present in the brain structures of a majority of individuals with XX genotypes.

Hormones' complex role in human sexuality

Role of Hormones in Human Sexuality

Pleasure Center of the Brain: Light It Up

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Ollie769

Even though you claim to treat those with 'alternative' sexualities like anyone else you do not. The tone of your post is obvious that you are clueless about sexuality. It is you who has been conditioned to believe that homosexual is wrong and a choice.

Sexuality is NOT a choice. You did not choose to be straight. I tried to pretend to be straight for most of my adult life, I did NOT choose my sexuality.

Same here - how hilarious that a straight person would declare "It's a choice." I agree that there is no genetic "cause" and that there is NO evidence supporting genetics, hormones, etc. But that is NO WAY means it's a choice to be gay. I think millions of gay people from the past to the present, including myself, would laugh in your face (and I do! AHAHAHAHAHAH!) that it's a choice. I tried everything I could not to be for years. So if it were a choice, trust me, I would know! Certainly NOT you!

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Plus I hate to have to say this yet again, but THERE IS NO PROOF, NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that homosexuality is caused by: hormones, genetics, brain activity, etc.

What a completely ignorant statement. ALL human sexuality is based on hormones, genes and brain activity!

Sex and the Human Brain

_ Of course, discussions of sex are often burdened with gender semantics, so it’s important to note that presence or lack of a Y chromosome doesn’t necessarily determine a person’s gender, biologically or socially. A female embryo subjected to high amounts of testosterone might exhibit more “masculinization” than a typical female embryo, and vice versa for male embryos. The concept of a “female” brain is based on physical characteristics largely present in the brain structures of a majority of individuals with XX genotypes.

Hormones' complex role in human sexuality

Role of Hormones in Human Sexuality

Pleasure Center of the Brain: Light It Up

First of all, I AM gay.
Sexuality may be based on hormones etc., but ORIENTATION is not! Give a straight man a ton of estogen, do you think he'll be gay? No! And the XX/XY thing does nothing to prove that orientation has anything to do with hormones, except but in a VERY small amount of cases, where females have been born with XXY or males born with XXY.

My point: there is NO evidence that clearly points to what "causes" homosexuality in any physical sense.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

First of all, I AM gay.

So? That doesn't mean you know what you're talking about when it comes to biology. Do you have older brothers?

Sexuality may be based on hormones etc., but ORIENTATION is not!

Of course it is! Why are men attracted to women? Hormones! But, it's too simplistic to claim that ones sexuality is all based on hormones, or one particular gene or a boys relationship with his mother or father. Sexual expression is much more complicated than that.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

First of all, I AM gay.

So? That doesn't mean you know what you're talking about when it comes to biology. Do you have older brothers?

Sexuality may be based on hormones etc., but ORIENTATION is not!

Of course it is! Why are men attracted to women? Hormones! But, it's too simplistic to claim that ones sexuality is all based on hormones, or one particular gene or a boys relationship with his mother or father. Sexual expression is much more complicated than that.

Say what you like, whether I'm a biology major or not (are you?) certainly doesn't prevent me from knowing that there is NO PROOF that homosexuality is "caused" by anything. Men are attracted to women because of hormones = big deal. Anyone's physical attraction to anyone necessitates hormones acting. Crying because your mother died activates hormones and can be measured just as much. It doesn't mean that the hormones MADE you cry, it means they are activated BY YOU. If hormones made people gay or straight, they'd already have a "fix" for being gay.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The pop-psychology flying around this thread is pretty danged breathtaking. So much B.S. has been spewed about I can understand why no one has a decent handle on anything any more.

Here's an interesting article that gives some real insight to the historic background of homosexuality - and its source material is from sociologists and anthropologists who are homosexual themselves that have the intellectual integrity to give the truth of their research - not the brain-dead yammerings of those with an AGENDA:

"Nobody is ‘born that way,’ gay historians say"
dailycaller.com...

The last time I put this article up no one had the personal fortitude to give it a good read. Indeed, I'VE spent some time re-reading it and see more every time I do. One interesting point is that prior to 150 years or so ago there really wasn't any real differentiation between homo- and heterosexual. It's mainly a Western social construct. We've been bombarded by the popular press about people being 'born' one way or another and it's simply not necessarily the case. I have read where a lot of homosexual behavior is a result of various types of abuse in and through childhood so the "source" of this behavior can come about for many reasons.

For those of you who are homosexual and realize that you're being USED by TPTB - mainly democrats - to retain power and cushy jobs my hat is off to you. For those that adamantly refuse to believe that there IS a homosexual agenda, I'm sorry but you're breathing your own methane. Between the Homosexual Mafia that does, indeed, exist and their political allies they form a integral component of the Cloward-Pivenmaneuver that is ripping this country to shreds as we speak. After all, it IS an election year and both parties are calling out all their crazies for an all-out push to the polls.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

No YOU are missing the freaking point.

YOU were the one who initially stated that alcoholics are poor parents, and employees. I called YOU out on THAT point.

Are you an alcoholic? Or do you not remember things that happened yesterday?

I called YOU out on GENERALIZING an entire group of people. Which is the most IGNORANT thing anybody can do on the internet. Whether it is racist, prejudice, or sexist, it is still IGNORANT.

Let me know if you need help with basic memory exercises. I use ganja, and moonshine to keep my memory sharp!

If you are one of those sober people with $hitty memories, well, sucks to be you.

PS -- I capitalized the important words to help your memory..you are welcome!
edit on 16-6-2014 by Euphem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This thread is a good example of the intolerance in the gay community. This community states loudly and often that they stand for tolerance and equality yet when a religious man answers a simple question everyone gets upset and plays the bigot or ignorant card.

It doesn't matter what he said. It matters what he does. Is he coming after your rights? Is he attempting to somehow bring about the downfall of the community? If the answer is no; would it not be prudent to tolerate his equal right to freedom of speech? All he is doing is making a fool out of himself.

I see the gay community refer to certain religious beliefs as bigoted or outdated. Sometimes the hypocrisy can be glaring because the gay community tears into any negative comment with no mercy. That sends out the wrong message when the community prides itself on its respect for equality and their tolerance for others lifestyles. Practice what you preach.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Euphem

You can check with Rick Perry, but I believe the first step is admitting you have a problem.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yeah...I was kidding. I am sober and have been for 10+ years.

I knew you would sink to that level and insult me on it, so I tossed that in there. Good to know how spiteful, and unintelligent you really are.

Maybe if you could actually comprehend your failures you could grow as a person.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: My_Reality

I think this thread shows how closed minded certain religious folk are. When a sect rejects science and basic human dignity in the name of a dogmatic ideology I will call them out.

The reality is those with the dogmatic ideals are the ones who have been oppressing those with other than vanilla heterosexuality. This is why so many states have passed bills defining marriage as between a man and a women, these bills were fueled by dogmatic religious ideology.

We do not care what religion a person practices. We care when we are treated like 2nd class citizens based on our sexuality and gender identity.

edit on 16-6-2014 by jrod because: always a word missing..

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: My_Reality
I see the gay community refer to certain religious beliefs as bigoted or outdated. Sometimes the hypocrisy can be glaring because the gay community tears into any negative comment with no mercy. That sends out the wrong message when the community prides itself on its respect for equality and their tolerance for others lifestyles. Practice what you preach.
While it's petty of the gay community (with the exception of cases like these involving public figures) to tear into every negative comment they see, it's not hypocritical since they have a much, much better justification for their actions than religious people do.
edit on 16-6-2014 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What makes a homosexual?
There is much evidence that it often has to do with being traumatized by the opposite sex, maybe as a child, maybe even in a past life.
As a regression therapist, I had several cases like that. One rather extreme example:
A man was killed by the woman he had sex with in a past life.
No wonder that he is homosexual to day! His unconscious self shouts: "Women kill you in bed!"

And if you don't believe in past lives, it is your problem...

As a Christian, we must not forget that we are all brothers and sisters, and that goes for the homosexual, too.
He/she is often, or even usually not able to have sex with one of the opposite gender.
And when he/she has it with the same gender in mutual consent - no abuse, no violence, no forcing - who are we to judge? He/she needs love like all of us, and when having sex in love, what is really wrong?

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentMind
What makes a homosexual?

There is much evidence that it often has to do with being traumatized by the opposite sex, maybe as a child, maybe even in a past life.

Please provide factual, legitimate, credible data and links to back this up.

Your opinion is not a factual, legitimate, credible source.

Let's get something straight. A person who is forced, abused, or bullied into having same gender sex, does not make them homosexual.

The act of same gender sex does not make a person homosexual.

Homosexual is the inherent orientation that makes a person naturally attracted to same gender. It's not a choice.

EDIT: and while I do believe in past life, a mental disorder possibly created from trauma does not make someone homosexual.
edit on 17-6-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Wow, Perry has the standard Christian position on homosexuality. What a shocker he believes the same thing as 90% of church-going christians! Omg!

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ollie769
The pop-psychology flying around this thread is pretty danged breathtaking. So much B.S. has been spewed about I can understand why no one has a decent handle on anything any more.

Here's an interesting article that gives some real insight to the historic background of homosexuality - and its source material is from sociologists and anthropologists who are homosexual themselves that have the intellectual integrity to give the truth of their research - not the brain-dead yammerings of those with an AGENDA:

"Nobody is ‘born that way,’ gay historians say"
dailycaller.com...

The last time I put this article up no one had the personal fortitude to give it a good read. Indeed, I'VE spent some time re-reading it and see more every time I do. One interesting point is that prior to 150 years or so ago there really wasn't any real differentiation between homo- and heterosexual. It's mainly a Western social construct. We've been bombarded by the popular press about people being 'born' one way or another and it's simply not necessarily the case. I have read where a lot of homosexual behavior is a result of various types of abuse in and through childhood so the "source" of this behavior can come about for many reasons.

For those of you who are homosexual and realize that you're being USED by TPTB - mainly democrats - to retain power and cushy jobs my hat is off to you. For those that adamantly refuse to believe that there IS a homosexual agenda, I'm sorry but you're breathing your own methane. Between the Homosexual Mafia that does, indeed, exist and their political allies they form a integral component of the Cloward-Pivenmaneuver that is ripping this country to shreds as we speak. After all, it IS an election year and both parties are calling out all their crazies for an all-out push to the polls.

That article is somewhat close to my own view, as a gay guy - to a degree. It has a lot of things wrong, firstly being that there were no discernible homosexuals in the past - give me a break on that. But basically the idea that homosexuality as well as heterosexuality are both created mental constructs is what I've always thought. If people were not born into a society that already has these constructs flung at them from the moment they're born, few would be fully homosexual, and what we'd end up with is a lot more bi people - including by the way, those who classify as straight.

I think as a developing child, if one tries to break away from the straight construct, it's so innately ground into us as children that's "one or the other" that the only possibility for someone who ends up different is "all the way to the other side." So ultimately, I see being fully heterosexual OR fully homosexual pretty well just as imbalanced as each other. Few people in Roman times were fully gay, yet there were many acts of homosexuality.

posted on Jun, 17 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: thebtheb
But basically the idea that homosexuality as well as heterosexuality are both created mental constructs is what I've always thought. If people were not born into a society that already has these constructs flung at them from the moment they're born, few would be fully homosexual, and what we'd end up with is a lot more bi people - including by the way, those who classify as straight.

I think as a developing child, if one tries to break away from the straight construct, it's so innately ground into us as children that's "one or the other" that the only possibility for someone who ends up different is "all the way to the other side." So ultimately, I see being fully heterosexual OR fully homosexual pretty well just as imbalanced as each other. Few people in Roman times were fully gay, yet there were many acts of homosexuality.

I agree, to a degree -- that most people are born naturally bi-sexual or pansexual. I think humans are communal mammals. That it is the fears and rules of society that have restricted and interfered with natural behavior.

However, I also support the sliding scale. While I think most people do fall into the middle, I think there are those away from center and to the far end of the scale (both sides) that are inherently only attracted to same or opposite sex.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join