It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry compares homosexuality to alcoholism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Can someone please tell me why we care about the thoughts of this twit from Texas who made a total fool of himself in 2011 and 2012? The man's an idiot.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This great thread has been chosen as a discussion topic on ATS LIve Radio!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
This great thread has been chosen as a discussion topic on ATS LIve Radio!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Interesting. Do they know about the book? Might as well throw that into the mix.

"Head Figure Head: The Search for the Hidden Life of Rick Perry", by Glen Maxey

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

As a Texan who has lived in the Austin area for the last 17 years, I have heard the rumors about Perry. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were true. Don't know if he's gay or just likes to "fool around", but one thing is for sure - he's a scumbag politician who will say whatever it takes to further his career. In Texas, that means to bash all the things that conservatives like to bash.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wait a sec...he is right! An alcoholic is born with an addictive personality. It is how they are made and it can't be changed. You can choose a different addiction, but you are an addictive person who is destine to become addicted to something. Booze, drugs, work, collecting, etc. And usually...it isn't good for you.

A gay person is also born with their personality. It is how they are made and it can't be changed. You can choose not to have sex with others of the same sex, but that is not how you were made. You are gay and that is who you are.

How is any of that wrong? Except that I explained it in different words.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE
Wait a sec...he is right! An alcoholic is born with an addictive personality. It is how they are made and it can't be changed. You can choose a different addiction, but you are an addictive person who is destine to become addicted to something. Booze, drugs, work, collecting, etc. And usually...it isn't good for you.

A gay person is also born with their personality. It is how they are made and it can't be changed. You can choose not to have sex with others of the same sex, but that is not how you were made. You are gay and that is who you are.

How is any of that wrong? Except that I explained it in different words.

Intent.

However, Rick Perry is almost as famous for his "isms" as Bush is for "Bushisms".

Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry has become know for "Perryisms," the colorful comments the Texas governor is known to make. www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

It's like saying, "You're born left-handed, just like you are born retarded - same thing." Sounds kinda like you are saying that being left-handed is the same as being retarded. It's definitely putting a negative connotation on being left-handed, anyway - don't you think?

In Rick Perry's case, being born an alcoholic IS the same thing as being born retarded - cuz he's both!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Perhaps he was born with FAS.....

Poor guy and those who cheer his nonsense. They do not realize they are a shrinking minority.
edit on 14-6-2014 by jrod because: 321

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Don't get me wrong...I don't support or vote for this guy. I barely know who he is and have no idea about any agenda. But...what he said isn't incorrect or ignorant in itself.

I think anyone who took this guy's comment as deeply as this thread implies, is obviously not thinking logically. "I may have the genetic coding that I’m inclined to be an alcoholic, but I have the desire not to do that - and I look at the homosexual issue the same way," Perry said.

Both are something that that person was born to be. An alcoholic can choose not to drink and a gay person can choose not to have sex with the same sex. No where does he say that they "should" or must. Some here simply added that sentence to make this guy sound bad.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

It's like saying, "You're born left-handed, just like you are born retarded - same thing." Sounds kinda like you are saying that being left-handed is the same as being retarded. It's definitely putting a negative connotation on being left-handed, anyway - don't you think?

In Rick Perry's case, being born an alcoholic IS the same thing as being born retarded - cuz he's both!

And your final sentence proves my point. Obviously I misunderstood this thread. I thought it was actually about the guy's words...not just an opportunity to bash someone in particular. I guess my words are pointless at this point.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I think this a flawed argument. Sexuality and addiction are not on the same plane. No where close.

As a person who has been diagnosed(wrongfully in my opinion) as an alcoholic, I believe addiction is based on nurture rather than nature.

edit on 14-6-2014 by jrod because: 2

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
PS: I think being left-handed is much worse than being retarded

JUST A JOKE!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Both are something that that person was born to be. An alcoholic can choose not to drink and a gay person can choose not to have sex with the same sex. No where does he say that they "should" or must. Some here simply added that sentence to make this guy sound bad.

The GOP's official platform is anti-gay. His remark was meant in a demeaning way.

Intent.

I do understand what you are saying, and you are correct. However, what matters is who said it and to who he said it.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Sorry...but I disagree. I was an alcoholic and have always had an addictive personality. I solved that by choosing a different addiction. I work all the time and I don't drink. Maybe you are different than me...but I was born with a need for obsession over things. Not at an OCD level...but to the point that an addiction is needed to make me happy.

So, a word of advice to other addicts. Choose your addiction wisely. There are ones that are much more productive and healthy than others.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

I think this a flawed argument. Sexuality and addiction are not on the same plane. No where close.

As a person who has been diagnosed(wrongfully in my opinion) as an alcoholic, I believe addiction is based on nurture rather than nature.

Really? Urge, desire, want, a feeling of "must have"? Sounds the same to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've noticed Rick Perry tends to carefully word and talk around gay, rather then address it directly.

Which, makes me believe the rumors are true.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I am not an addict, I know several people with your type of personality. Addiction is merely a crutch.

I will not go into how I got the diagnosis, but I can assure you my DD-214 says Alcohol ReHab Failure.

I agree that the 12 program can work for addicts who want to help themselves, I strongly disagree that a 12 step program can change a person's sexuality, let alone be of any help.

Yes there is a 12 step program for that.....

edit on 14-6-2014 by jrod because: cleanup

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Really? Urge, desire, want, a feeling of "must have"? Sounds the same to me.

I agree with you, we are who we are born. At least have predispositions to certain behaviors and addictions.

The newish brain scan studies indicate this.

But, isn't this a topic unto itself?

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Could you imagine if an openly Gay candidate was Running, and said something similar about Straight people, or Religious people... could you imagine the malice that would be thrown around, the "Gay Agenda" and the "Forcing your view"

we can laugh it off as a "Stupid Remark", but the sad thing is that Remark is believed, by him and other people

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Simple question then...who are the leaders of the Republican party in your opinion?

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join