It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Motors turns all its patents over to the open source movement

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

No, they are not owned by Toyota. I beleive Daimler has a stake, but it's only 4%.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
It is truly unfortunate, in light of this release, that all of the components that really make their vehicles feasible, relative to an ICE vehicle) are patented by their suppliers.

It is nice that I can build a dual hinge door without permissions...but, I want the damn motor, the cells, and the controllers...

Indeed it is a dark day for technology...

But on the bright side:
Tesla's motor is an ordinary induction motor.
Tesla's batteries are ordinary Li-ion.
Tesla's controllers are nothing special and can be designed by a high school student.

And of course all of the basic components are supplied by other parties...

Any technology that Tesla may have that is unique enough to warrant a patient, is not likely to be very viable over the longer term...so all they have done is muddy the EV market and technologies for the next several decades.

They did no favor for society.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Why would they release the patents? I know why...they have moved on from this technology. By releasing this information it will keep many others busy with this "old" technology while they move on with their more advanced technology.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

What does Tesla or better yet the board of directors of the stock gain monetary wise by doing this?

Is tesla expanding to other services were it stands to benefit from the sales of parts for its patents?

Are the board of directors leaving Tesla to another private company and using the gov't subsidized patents for free in their new company while having a jump start into the technology?

Looks like I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing. I wonder if he will release the patents for his battery kits that stands to benefit from the release of these patents?

This would make more sense and continue in line with everyday business and politics:
So he used gov't subsidies to develop the technology and now that he has a different company that stands to benefit from the technology he wants to release it to the public. That I can believe.

www.tgdaily.com...

Some commentators have suggested that this might have something to do with Musk's preparations to build his $5 billion "gigafactory", which is meant to produce battery kits for as many as 500,000 electric vehicles by 2020.

Regardless its a good thing that the tech is being released, especially since it used gov't money. However, when it comes to politics and money , money comes first ,in between,and last. Any direct benefit to the public or the consumer is merely an oversight,diversion or as it appears on this case an investment for bigger gains for private investors down the road.

if that is true then the small Tesla investors and 401kers should be very pissed off at this. Especially , if the CEO along with the bigger tesla investors (board ) pull out and move into the new company.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Look at this as a pilot project of sorts. They arent going to share the core tech, but the supporting technology first. In essence, it is an attempt to crowd source. Instead of looking specifically for funding, they are looking for ideas.

They didnt understand the most important concepts involved with this, but its a step in the right direction. However, it will be held back since the road map has one foot firmly in the grave of an old method. But, at least its not both feet! Whether or not they are able to surpass this is up to them, but the ideas they source from people may lead to a more embracing approach.

The thing is, they stand to profit quite greatly from this. The only issue I see is that there does not seem to be much in the way of compensation for those who come up with ideas to improve the product. This would be the next step in truly optimizing this method of technological and societal advancement. As it stands, one would still do better to develop their ideas themselves. But, its a clever move on the part of Tesla. Free ideas with no need for compensation! And fantastic PR.

To be clear though, it seems Tesla is trying to have their cake and eat it too. They dont want to stall the progress of their technology, but they mention nothing of concern about the society which will drive it forward. Both are important to a truly successful implentation of The new method.
edit on 13-6-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

Indeed it is a dark day for technology...

But on the bright side:
Tesla's motor is an ordinary induction motor.
Tesla's batteries are ordinary Li-ion.
Tesla's controllers are nothing special and can be designed by a high school student.

And of course all of the basic components are supplied by other parties...

Any technology that Tesla may have that is unique enough to warrant a patient, is not likely to be very viable over the longer term...so all they have done is muddy the EV market and technologies for the next several decades.

They did no favor for society.

I love it when members make good jokes here on ATS. lol

Tesla builds almost everything themselves, including batteries and special battery technologies.

List of all Tesla motor patents.

stks.freshpatents.com...

edit on 13-6-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I believe it was Honda that did the same thing back in the 80's with their "crumple zones". It was determined the impact it had on driver and passenger safety was too profound to secret away ethically.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I like this Elon Musk guy

Anagram?

Lone Skum?

Seriously though, Space X seems to be making strides too. Nice to see someone get so rich, then decide to actually USE that power to do good in the world.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

KNOWN Tesla suppliers.

Also, the drive system is an AC Propulsion design, license built by Tesla. Which leaves the patent rights in AC Propulsion's name.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Also, the drive system is an AC Propulsion design, license built by Tesla. Which leaves the patent rights in AC Propulsion's name.

Tesla dumped that design years ago because of failures and came up with their own.

Join the club and you'll get up to date on what Tesla is actually doing these days.

www.teslamotorsclub.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

most of whats listed is unimportant made by a variety of manufacturers or like lithium ion batteries can be redesigned fairly easily so they wouldnt infringe on panasonics patents (panasonic doesnt own the general idea of lithium ion batteries and isnt the only company that produces them) you just have to invest in the infrastructure to actually make them which is probably fairly expensive
and the motor is made by tesla
so this list is pretty much useless (you could be right....maybe youre not but that picture isnt proving much)

the idea isnt to rebuild a teslamotor vehicle but to advance the technology so who cares who made the rear roof panel or the decorative wheel fasteners
edit on 13-6-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

Tesla dumped that design years ago because of failures and came up with their own.

Join the club and you'll get up to date on what Tesla is actually doing these days.

www.teslamotorsclub.com...

From your source:

With regards to the Roadster, Tesla's major value add was the controls. ACP was using Analog controls, Tesla ditched these controls and created their own digital controls. Tesla Roadster technology is loosely based on ACP, but ACP's manufacturing process was not suitable for mass production so Tesla took the best of ACP, created better process', better quality and less costly materials and turned it into a marketable scalable vehicle. Even today the digital control algorithms that Tesla patented for AC excitation motors is the main reason behind the performance advantage of their vehicles.

Neat how they don't mention redesigning the motor. Also neat is how the Sedan S sitting about 100 feet from me has AC Propulsion's patent number stamped on the motor casing.

They ditched AC's regenerative controller and made their own. That's it.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Now if they can figure out how to charge a battery to full capacity in say 5 - 10 minutes (for the 300+ miles it can already travel) then the problem is solved for everyone (don't need to develop hydrogen vehicles). There would truly be no reason to own a gas car or bike.

Of course, unless you want to be cool -
www.southparkstudios.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sirhumperdink
the idea isnt to rebuild a teslamotor vehicle but to advance the technology so who cares who made the rear roof panel or the decorative wheel fasteners

That's it right there...advancing technology. Reality is that Tesla doesn't have any "new" technologies, even IF some are slightly improved.

The newest thing for Tesla, like all the other EV manufacturers will be the batteries. There are some recent advancements in Li Ion technology (not made by Tesla that will improve Li-Ion battery technology.

All the rest of it is old Hat...all the patients Tesla has don't amount to any improvement on technology, only different ways of doing the same ole' ... heck; I have a collection of copyrights that do the same thing...no big deal.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Great news. Yea Open Source - and for the Open Access movement in science.

S&F&

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Really Cool.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Tesla stands to gain from the 'Open Source Movement' more than anyone will gain from Tesla's patents becoming open source.

The floodgates are opening and many brilliant inventors are also sharing their developments.

I am reposting this YT video here because it would probably not have been made public had Tesla not released it's patents.

www.youtube.com...

This could be the rapid charging system that would make electric vehicles practical.

Tesla has researchers and engineers scouring the WWW for breakthroughs other experimenters may have made.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

That video came out before this Tesla announcement.

That video also doesn't show anything special. All it is a self-oscillating circuit that uses inductive spikes to charge a battery. All EV manufacturers are way ahead of this, you would build such circuits in 2nd year of a university degree.
edit on 23/6/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Telos
Kudos to Elon Musk!!!

He really thinks about humanity. I have a great sympathy for the human being in him.

Isn't it too bad everyone wasn't this way? Think about how much further along we would be as a species if people worked together on everything....My oh my we would be light years ahead of where we are and it is sad the reason this doesn't happen is from FAKE MONEY....PAPER....GREED.....What an effin joke!

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: C0bzz
a reply to: Psynic

That video came out before this Tesla announcement.

That video also doesn't show anything special. All it is a self-oscillating circuit that uses inductive spikes to charge a battery. All EV manufacturers are way ahead of this, you would build such circuits in 2nd year of a university degree.

The 'Open Source Movement' didn't begin with Tesla and I don't think you understood the video I posted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join