It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq crisis: Isis militants close in on Baghdad - live coverage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Now that Jordan's King has been threatened,, Turkey's ambasadors imprisoned,, Turkey and Jordan should meet in
Tehran,,
in a pincer movement.

Preferably with Air support,,Tanks,,infantry,,offering refuge to ALL, as they go.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Bush "Created the war on terrorism" while fattening the pockets of the war profiteers

Oh Marg come on!

Bush did not create the war on terrorism.

It has been ongoing for over 40 years, and 6 administrations.

In 2001 we decided to finally fight it, and in 2008 we decided to 'throw our hands up in the air'.

And say,'Thats too much work, costs too much money, and give up'.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sweetie, he made it official and young man don't argue with marg. he, he.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

because our local base here in the south is expanding as we speak with new jobs to be created on warfare equipment maintenance that will be expected to last until 2035, now makes sense

really, marg,?

There is a lot more to all of this than meets the eye

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Yes, for the last few years the base has been kind of downgrading and a lot of layoffs were going on, then out of nowhere and no even my husband was aware of this and he works for Intel, is going to be hundreds of jobs available in the coming months due to various contracts within the maintenance facilities and until a month ago maintenance was downgraded.

Our base is a depot that means their main job is to service equipment, and keep it ready for deployment, that means warfare equipment, why will they be awarding contracts and creating this jobs if we are not fighting any wars.

Something is up.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

"Iraq Kurds take Kirkuk as Sunni militants surge toward Baghdad"

little more info.

"Iraqi Kurdish forces took advantage of the chaos to take control of the oil hub of Kirkuk as the troops of the Shi'ite-led government abandoned posts, alarming Baghdad's allies both in the West and in neighbouring Shi'ite regional power Iran."

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
a reply to: amazing

"What right do we have" i quoted u , if i am correct,,whom then does??
if not people?

You're still missing it. The west...we pretty much carved up the middle east to meet our needs because we had a bigger better army and more technology. Carved up countries that we weren't even from.

This link should help

www.pbs.org...

Then look up the Sykes-Picot Agreement.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This just crossed Breaking News feeds:

Lockheed Martin official confirms all employees are being evacuated from Iraq due to concerns for their safety with escalating violence - @TheRyanParker

Feed Source

Sounds like it's bug out time, fast approaching. I hope the people who worked with us are also out. There won't be anything but death there for them if this is how Iraq goes, IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Saddam wanted the same thing Ghaddafi wanted, to create a currency that would rival the US dollar.....that's why the country is now destroyed....because you're not allowed to upset the apple cart!

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Lockheed Martin official confirms all employees are being evacuated from Iraq due to concerns for their safety with escalating violence - @TheRyanParker

Feed Source

Sounds like it's bug out time, fast approaching. I hope the people who worked with us are also out. There won't be anything but death there for them if this is how Iraq goes, IMO.
Holy batballs Why would we have a company such as that operating in that place. Seems like the chance for intellegence to fall in the wrong hands would not be worth the risk.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Feed Source

More evacuations being suggested now.

Germany urges citizens to leave Baghdad

BERLIN (AP) — Germany called on its citizens Thursday to immediately leave parts of Iraq, including Baghdad, as Islamic insurgents push toward the capital.

Germans should leave the governorates of Anbar, Ninevah and Salah al-Din, the Foreign Ministry said in a travel warning on its website. It also urged German citizens to temporarily leave Baghdad, and expressed concern about the situation in Diyala and Kirkuk governorates.

The US embassy also has prepared evacuation plans.

www.theblaze.com...#

The U.S. Embassy in Baghdad is preparing contingency plans to evacuate its employees if necessary now that one of the deadliest Islamic militant groups in the region has taken control of large swaths of Iraq, a U.S. official told TheBlaze.

Mortar rounds and rockets have hit Baghdad International Airport and Mosul’s airport has been the target of militant assault. The State Department advisory warned U.S. citizens to avoid public gathering places because of the high risk of kidnapping and terrorist violence.

www.newsmax.com...

The United States has launched a mass evacuation of Americans in Baghdad to prevent a bloodbath at the hands of the terrorist group ISIS, Newsmax TV has learned.

edit on 12-6-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well I see, we liberated Iraq so Al Qaida and Islamic crazy fundamentalist could have a country with producing oil.

Amazing.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It also looks like ISIS has been picking up allies rapidly now to.

www.macon.com...

BAGHDAD — Islamic militants who seized cities and towns vowed Thursday to march on Baghdad to settle old scores, joined by Saddam Hussein-era loyalists and other disaffected Sunnis capitalizing on the government's political paralysis over the biggest threat to Iraq's stability since the U.S. withdrawal.

While ISIL fighters gained the most attention in this week's swift advances, it was increasingly clear that other Sunnis were joining the uprising.

Fighters loyal to his Naqshabandi Army as well as former members of Saddam's Baath Party were the main militant force in Tikrit on Thursday, said a resident who identified himself by his nickname, Abu Mohammed, out of concern for his safety. He said about 300 soldiers surrendered near the governor's office — a spectacle captured in multiple amateur videos posted online.

Lawmaker Hakim al-Zamili as well as two senior intelligence officials, who were not authorized to talk to the press, confirmed the involvement of al-Douri's group and other former Baathists and Saddam-era military commanders.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Well I see, we liberated Iraq so Al Qaida and Islamic crazy fundamentalist could have a country with producing oil.

Amazing.

I thought everyone on planet Earth knew that this was going to happen after we packed our bags, headed home, and let them run their own country again. Who in the world was blind enough to not see this coming a mile away...?

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Catacomb

At least the private interest and the government interest in the oil production would have protected the investments after all trillions of our tax dollars were wasted to get that oil, now it seems for nothing.

Meanwhile we here in our nation have to hear how our government keeps slashing funds because is not money.

The irony, I feel like barfing.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Australia's Prime Minister said that Australia hasn't ruled out any military intervention, and would be a dependable ally of the USA in such circumstances. Adding to this, he said that the USA has not requested any aid from Australia in regards to the Iraq situation. This comes as both states agree to extend their defence cooperation.

goo.gl...
goo.gl...

edit on 12-6-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Here's some more news on Iran's involvement:

With the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, an offshoot of al Qaeda, rapidly gaining territory, Iran deployed Revolutionary Guards units to Iraq, according to Iranian security officials.

Two Guards' units, dispatched from Iran's western border provinces on Wednesday, were tasked with protecting Baghdad and the holy Shiite cities of Karbala and Najaf, these security sources said.

Iran has also positioned troops on full alert along its border with Iraq and has given clearance to its air force to bomb ISIS rebel forces if they come within about 60 miles of Iran's border, according to an Iranian army general.

The two IRGC battalions that moved to Iraq on Wednesday were shifted from the Iranian border provinces of Urumieh and Lorestan, the Iranian security officials said.

Revolutionary Guards units that serve in Iran's border provinces are the most experienced fighters in guerrilla warfare because of separatist ethnic uprisings in those regions. IRGC commanders dispatched to Syria also often come from those provinces as well.

Iran was also considering the transfer to Iraq of Shiite volunteer troops in Syria, if the initial deployments fail to turn the tide of battle in favor of Mr. Maliki's government, the Iranian security officials said.

online.wsj.com...

It's also wise to note that not all Iraqis are leaving their country to the ruin of extremist groups. Here's an image depicting Iraqi men at a Baghdad army recruiting office:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Here's another map many may find interesting:

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

It's also wise to note that not all Iraqis are leaving their country to the ruin of extremist groups. Here's an image depicting Iraqi men at a Baghdad army recruiting office:

I am not holding my breath.

They wouldnt fight Saddam

They won't fight AQ/ISIS.

Stick a fork in Iraq it's done.
edit on 12-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: daaskapital

I am not holding my breath.

They wouldnt fight Saddam

They won't fight AQ/ISIS.

Stick a fork in Iraq it's done.

Neither am i, but a couple of volunteers are better than nobody.

We'll see how well this goes, but i don't think they will be too effective, considering the current situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the volunteers are just handed a weapon, a uniform, and told to get out into the battlefield.

I don't believe that the Iraqi army is capable of defending the country, but they at least need some help to defend the capital. I believe that if Baghdad falls, it will all be over too soon (or we'll go back to war). The only capable, 'allied'/neutral force here is the Peshmerga, and they seem to be mostly tied up in the north...it will be interesting to see if they get deeper involved though. Iraq seems to need them now, more than ever.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join