It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sumerian King List Spans for Over 241,000 Years Before a Great Flood

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

Just so you know I am on board with you
But there is evidence NC was once a huge flood plane.

I am from the south and North Carolina is almost completely alluvial. So much of it is alluvium that the rarest wetlands are actually referred to as "Non-Alluvial Wetlands" since most of the wetlands there are actually in the non-conducive (to wetlands anyway) alluvium. Non-Alluvial Wetlands are the exception to the rule in the state of NC...

However, I am fairly certain this predates the kings list by more than a few million years...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

Then where is the evidence of a massive tropical cyclone? It certainly doesn't show up in any of the archaeological record which through river sediment deposits we can actually date fairly accurately when the flood event occurred as well as its origin and intensity.

There wouldn't necessarily be any - the storm surge may have left some deposits, or maybe not - the heavy rain and subsequent river flooding may well have removed and replaced any, and after 5,000 years of land use change (and sea level change) would it be identifiable from a normal flood?

The Atrahasis story describes a storm surge, heavy rain and very strong winds. It sounds exactly like a tropical storm to me. And if it hit a primitive culture that did not normally experience such a severe storm, I think it's quite possible that the survivors would have told stories that over time became the Mesopotamian/Noachian flood story we have today. And the story may have originated elsewhere other than Mesoptamia.

Far more likely than the global deluge for which we certaintly would have geologic evidence!

As an aside, in primitive societies "the world" usually means the world they know - maybe no more than a few days walk from where they live - and not the whole planet of which theu would have been wholly unaware. In that context, even the Noachian flood becomes a local event.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Yes these are all great floods, but not the earth covering Biblical flood from the Bible

371 days but it depends on when you declare it over....however it's a timeline of a fictions event, 150 was when water stopped being added but the water was still there.

It seems to be calculated here- presented without comment

Timeline

edit on 24/6/14 by Hanslune because: Added link

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This still wouldn't explain why so many other cultures that may have descended from survivors from these floods would all describe them the same way. Surely they knew the difference between a bad storm and God's wrath
edit on 25-6-2014 by BASEDSATAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASEDSATAN
This still wouldn't explain why so many other cultures that may have descended from survivors from these floods would all describe them the same way. Surely they knew the difference between a bad storm and God's wrath

In the Levantt, the flood myths of different cultures trace back to the flood myth of Sumer. All of them.

Elsewhere, well, weather is very often associated with gods so I don't know why you say that.

Harte

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

As Harte noted above and here is a link to a site that list all of the worlds flood stories for your viewing and comparison.

Them dang god awful floods
edit on 25/6/14 by Hanslune because: Corrected link

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Funny you should say that considering that I'm implying that any culture intelligible to have written about such an event all believed it to be the the wrath of God or the near equivalent and not just some flash flood

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Funny you should say that considering that I'm implying that any culture intelligible to have written about such an event all believed it to be the the wrath of God or the near equivalent and not just some flash flood

Cultures of that time held that weather was the result of actions by god(s), bad weather being their wrath.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune
By your logic they would think the world would be on the verge of destruction by the hands of their God for every little storm. Rain was typically a good thing but, this rain was intense enough for them to believe that the death of all things was imminent.

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

By your logic they would think the world would be on the verge of destruction by the hands of their God for every little storm. Rain was typically a good thing but, this rain was intense enough for them to believe that the death of all things was imminent.

Not the rains, the flood.

As the glaciers retreated, there were thousands of really big floods all over the world (from glacial lakes.)

In North America, there were people here when that happened.

Check out the Altai flood and look up what "Altai" means.

A whole lot of modern humanity came out of that area.

Harte

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

As the glaciers retreated, there were thousands of really big floods all over the world (from glacial lakes.)

Harte

What Glaciers near sumer would have caused such a flood?

posted on Jun, 25 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BASEDSATAN
The source of the the of Tigris and Euphrates rivers?

Were those regions glaciated during the last glacial period? Probably a lot more so than the present. I understand glacial dams can be quite impressive when they fail. Like the ones in Montana.
en.wikipedia.org...

Glaciers currently occur in Turkey in the higher elevations of the coastal ranges along the southeastern shore of the Black Sea, in the Middle and Southeastern Taurus Mountains, and on Mounts Erciyes, Süphan, and The total area of the glaciers is estimated to be 22.9 square kilometers, with the greatest concentration occurring in the Southeastern Taurus Mountains.

pubs.usgs.gov...

edit on 6/25/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Yes, many early cultures and even up to this day take weather as a sign of godly displeasure. Once a violent wind and rain storm hit where I was working in the Middle
East where it had not rained for years and many of the Arabs thought the world might be ending at that moment.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

This site explains how large floods could hit this area.

Floods of the E-T

edit on 26/6/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Harte

What Glaciers near sumer would have caused such a flood?

The flood I'm talking about is a cultural memory. A possible root for EVERY flood myth in Eurasia. Predating Sumer, which, it is now thought, was actually flooded out by the Persian Gulf causing them to move into Mesopotamia.

You decided not to look into it, I see.
If you change your mind on that - Altai.
edit on 6/26/2014 by Harte because: of the wonderful things he does!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Double Post
edit on 6/26/2014 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Ok.. I'll bite..

What's altai about?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Ok.. I'll bite..

What's altai about?

Here's a pdf, it might make for dense reading: link

This one might be better: link

Compare to the Missoula floods linked in another posty.

Glacial ice dam floods happened all over the place, as one might presume given we know the glaciers retreatd/melted.

Harte

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join